shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring reset - hexagon halo? 3 stone ring?

Which option for engagement ring reset?

• Total voters

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock
Hello knowledgeable Pricescopers!

I was left a little bit of money from my grandma after she passed and I want to do something meaningful with it. Ii don't wear my engagement ring very often as I've fallen out of love with it a little, I want it to have bigger impact.
I was thinking of changing my engagement ring design from a cushion halo to a hexagon shape with bigger melee and also possibly adding another 2 diamonds to make it a 3 stone ring.

This is what I currently have, a round brilliant .90ct in a cushion halo -
upload_2019-8-16_15-17-39.jpg
upload_2019-8-16_15-18-35.jpg (apologies for this photo, it's horrid).

This is the possible reset shape -
upload_2019-8-16_15-18-48.jpg

I can't seem to find photos of 3 stone rings with hexagon halos? Is there even such a thing?
I've dealt with Vera from Whiteflash in the past when purchasing diamond earrings and would possibly buy the 2 extra diamonds from her.

Am I being silly? Is there not enough of a change with the reset to justify the change? What size side stones should I use?

I would be grateful for any opinions/suggestions/votes please :)

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-16_15-18-26.jpg
    upload_2019-8-16_15-18-26.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 15

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry for your loss. It’s very special she left you some money.
First off, I personally think your ring is very, very pretty. I would love to see a photo of your ring with the matching bands from a top view!
I’m personally not loving the hexagon, and especially not the idea of a hexagon 3-stone, it would be way too busy IMO. Also, I think going with larger melee will overpower your center stone.
If you are tired of your current ring and want to change it, maybe the change you need is to not have a halo? I’m not sure what you ultimately accomplish going from one halo to another. I also think you will tire of the hexagon.
I like the idea of taking Grandma’s gift and buying 2 side stones to create a 3-stone ring (non-halo, although you could halo it if you really love the look and want to “bump it up a bit”)... it would be really special to have a ring with your engagement stone in the middle, and stones “from your Grandmother” on the sides.
I would suggest .45ct each for the side stones to create a good ratio.
Or, you could keep your current ring as is... even more so because you the matching bands, and use the money to buy diamond earrings, if you don’t already have. Since you love the halo look, you could even get halo studs. Would be kind of nice to think of you carrying (wearing) a part of your Grandmother everyday.

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock
Hi headlight, thank you so much for your reply, it has helped to clarify things in my mind a bit.

I agree with using the money to purchase side stones so I can say they're from my grandma and will be a reminder forever. I want to ensure this is something I will love.
My only concern is that losing the halo from the centre stone will make my centre stone look small, bit with the addition of two other stones it should bump up the finger coverage?

The jeweler who made my engagement ring quoted me $3500AUD to make the hexagon halo setting which I thought was expensive! My engagement ring setting cost $1800 (albeit 10 years ago) I am concerned it was very high. What do you think about the quoted price? I'm seeing him tomorrow to see 3 stone ring settings he has and to ask for a quote. I am also seeing my sister's jeweler, it will be interesting to compare quotes.

I already have diamond stud earrings, but could possibly use those as the side stones but that would be a last resort.

Please let me know your thoughts :twirl:

I am sorry for your loss. It’s very special she left you some money.
First off, I personally think your ring is very, very pretty. I would love to see a photo of your ring with the matching bands from a top view!
I’m personally not loving the hexagon, and especially not the idea of a hexagon 3-stone, it would be way too busy IMO. Also, I think going with larger melee will overpower your center stone.
If you are tired of your current ring and want to change it, maybe the change you need is to not have a halo? I’m not sure what you ultimately accomplish going from one halo to another. I also think you will tire of the hexagon.
I like the idea of taking Grandma’s gift and buying 2 side stones to create a 3-stone ring (non-halo, although you could halo it if you really love the look and want to “bump it up a bit”)... it would be really special to have a ring with your engagement stone in the middle, and stones “from your Grandmother” on the sides.
I would suggest .45ct each for the side stones to create a good ratio.
Or, you could keep your current ring as is... even more so because you the matching bands, and use the money to buy diamond earrings, if you don’t already have. Since you love the halo look, you could even get halo studs. Would be kind of nice to think of you carrying (wearing) a part of your Grandmother everyday.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMO re price, things are a lot more costly here in Australia than the US. Our exchange rate is also terrible at the moment so it is very hard to compare to the prices of a US jeweller.

The price is going to depend upon how the ring is crafted etc. is it cast? Hand forged? White gold or platinum? More complex ring settings will always cost more to make. For a good quality setting, I think the price seems about right for Australia.

Have you shopped around for jewellers who can do the type of work you want?

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
IMO re price, things are a lot more costly here in Australia than the US. Our exchange rate is also terrible at the moment so it is very hard to compare to the prices of a US jeweller.

The price is going to depend upon how the ring is crafted etc. is it cast? Hand forged? White gold or platinum? More complex ring settings will always cost more to make. For a good quality setting, I think the price seems about right for Australia.

These are all excellent points.
If I did the conversion right to USD; it’s like $2700 which seems reasonable for a custom ring which the hex would have to be.
If you think the overall size won’t be enough as a 3-stone, you could either put a halo around the entire thing or halo each stone:
upload_2019-8-18_12-17-55.jpeg
upload_2019-8-18_12-17-24.jpeg
upload_2019-8-18_12-20-39.jpeg
(And obviously many other setting versions for the halo stones).

Or you could put 1 halo around it (this 1 with the matching band is pretty awesome!):
upload_2019-8-18_12-19-20.jpeg

You could also halo the center but not the sides (which I’m kind of liking!):
upload_2019-8-18_12-22-1.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-18_12-16-48.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-18_12-16-48.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 23
  • upload_2019-8-18_12-18-38.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-18_12-18-38.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 33

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for replying crystal_dreams.
That makes me feel better about the price. My jeweler cast my original setting, no hand forged.

I'm on my way to the jeweler to have a look at their 3 stone ring settings and the kind of coverage I'll get with and without a halo.

I'm in Melbourne, can you recommend some jewelers? I've found a lot of jewelers don't want to reset settings, they just want to sell you new diamonds and create new settings

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for replying crystal_dreams.
That makes me feel better about the price. My jeweler cast my original setting, no hand forged.

I'm on my way to the jeweler to have a look at their 3 stone ring settings and the kind of coverage I'll get with and without a halo.

I'm in Melbourne, can you recommend some jewelers? I've found a lot of jewelers don't want to reset settings, they just want to sell you new diamonds and create new settings

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
David Klass in the US, even with the bad exchange rate and any taxes and duties you will have to pay he will do by far a better job of this than anyone in Australia. I'm an Aussie too.

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock
These are all excellent points.
If I did the conversion right to USD; it’s like $2700 which seems reasonable for a custom ring which the hex would have to be.
If you think the overall size won’t be enough as a 3-stone, you could either put a halo around the entire thing or halo each stone:
upload_2019-8-18_12-17-55.jpeg
upload_2019-8-18_12-17-24.jpeg
upload_2019-8-18_12-20-39.jpeg
(And obviously many other setting versions for the halo stones).

Or you could put 1 halo around it (this 1 with the matching band is pretty awesome!):
upload_2019-8-18_12-19-20.jpeg

You could also halo the center but not the sides (which I’m kind of liking!):
upload_2019-8-18_12-22-1.jpeg

Hi headlight!

Due to the quoted price of the setting, I'm leaning towards using my 1.20ctw stud earrings for the side stones and adding a halo. I like some of the options you provided but think I want a squarish halo, as the cushion shaped one isn't doing it for me at the moment.

I also agree with you about the hexagon, it looks a little off, I think a squarish octagon would be better.
This is me just playing around with the earrings, trying to put them as close to the centre diamond as possible.
IMG_20190818_233904.jpg

IMG_20190818_234148.jpg

This is pretty much what I want, just 3 of the square octagon halos.
Screenshot_20190818-231332.png

Look at that finger coverage! Hubba hubba ❤️ this is stunning IMO, total inspo
Screenshot_20190818-233435.png

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Love your idea... & you have really pretty diamonds!

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock
David Klass in the US, even with the bad exchange rate and any taxes and duties you will have to pay he will do by far a better job of this than anyone in Australia. I'm an Aussie too.

Hi arkieb1,
Thanks for your recommendation. What happens if one of the pave diamonds falls out and needs to be replaced? I was happy using whiteflash to purchase earrings but would feel better having an actual shop to visit with such a complicated setting.

However, i better have a look. Why aren't there fabulous Craftsmen and women like David in Australia?!?!?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi arkieb1,
Thanks for your recommendation. What happens if one of the pave diamonds falls out and needs to be replaced? I was happy using whiteflash to purchase earrings but would feel better having an actual shop to visit with such a complicated setting.

However, i better have a look. Why aren't there fabulous Craftsmen and women like David in Australia?!?!?

There are a small number they charge about twice the price of David even after all the taxes and duties.

I've never had anything David, Victor or anyone else has made for me fall out. And if so then you could either send it back or take it to one of the jewellery shops here for repair.

Most of the shops here do not produce the same quality of pavework the US vendors do, and the tiny few that can really charge you for it.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To be honest the only Australian custom jeweller I’ve worked with is Alistair Kelsey (who does beautiful hand forged work) but he is in the Jervis Bay Area in NSW! The rest of my pieces have been custom from David Klass and more so by CVB (whose style I adore).

Alistair’s prices are quite fair especially considering he is in Australia. A lot of people here on the PS coloured stone forum in the US will actually send stones to him for setting! Of course the exchange rate works in their favour, but his workmanship is truly excellent. He made a custom pendant setting for me- while it wasn’t cheap, it is beautifully hand forged with amazing attention to detail.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some kind of hexagon/octagon halo from caysie before... will have a look around. Her style is more vintage than modern though.

Edited to add:
I just went onto Caysie’s Instagram (cvb) and found a bunch of hex/octagon ish rings she has made in the past. Lots of different styles, some aren’t quite as angular and are more floral. I have a custom floral halo ring which she made for me and I ADORE.

I know none of these are 3 stone rings, but I am certain she could work with you on a design!

(Mine):
B766E141-9243-48F7-A0A8-E53F03C71A4B.jpeg

(Other cvb rings):
B87CCC51-6D55-421C-9335-94FE82D952AA.jpeg C42E47E3-E64B-4EEF-8189-A72B6CD6BA6B.jpeg 9763B54E-3697-4D70-821D-33A85D76DBC4.jpeg 73B1F0BE-9039-4ED4-9210-BAB5F3D82114.jpeg D56D8089-D60F-4EB4-B4A5-00D3DCF9CA14.jpeg FD0D0C67-2C01-49D4-AB29-92B6ECDD5FDF.jpeg

1F9AD949-25AE-40AB-BFEA-D42F98F52044.jpeg B15BED0D-BCE8-4325-B81F-AB48AF8D2FD0.jpeg

Attachments

• 5818420E-A347-479F-914E-98E1110289E4.jpeg
    5818420E-A347-479F-914E-98E1110289E4.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock
To be honest the only Australian custom jeweller I’ve worked with is Alistair Kelsey (who does beautiful hand forged work) but he is in the Jervis Bay Area in NSW! The rest of my pieces have been custom from David Klass and more so by CVB (whose style I adore).

Alistair’s prices are quite fair especially considering he is in Australia. A lot of people here on the PS coloured stone forum in the US will actually send stones to him for setting! Of course the exchange rate works in their favour, but his workmanship is truly excellent. He made a custom pendant setting for me- while it wasn’t cheap, it is beautifully hand forged with amazing attention to detail.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some kind of hexagon/octagon halo from caysie before... will have a look around. Her style is more vintage than modern though.

Edited to add:
I just went onto Caysie’s Instagram (cvb) and found a bunch of hex/octagon ish rings she has made in the past. Lots of different styles, some aren’t quite as angular and are more floral. I have a custom floral halo ring which she made for me and I ADORE.

(Mine):
B766E141-9243-48F7-A0A8-E53F03C71A4B.jpeg

(Other cvb rings):
B87CCC51-6D55-421C-9335-94FE82D952AA.jpeg C42E47E3-E64B-4EEF-8189-A72B6CD6BA6B.jpeg 9763B54E-3697-4D70-821D-33A85D76DBC4.jpeg 73B1F0BE-9039-4ED4-9210-BAB5F3D82114.jpeg D56D8089-D60F-4EB4-B4A5-00D3DCF9CA14.jpeg FD0D0C67-2C01-49D4-AB29-92B6ECDD5FDF.jpeg

1F9AD949-25AE-40AB-BFEA-D42F98F52044.jpeg B15BED0D-BCE8-4325-B81F-AB48AF8D2FD0.jpeg

Crystal_dreams, I am swooning!!! Those settings are stunning. Thank you for taking your time out to respond.

I've just seen my jeweller, I was very specific with what I wanted in a 3stone halo ring, he quoted me $2,500 as I am a returning customer and will use the existing diamonds from my current setting.

While I was there I saw this spinel that caught my eye, for $3000k. I have no idea about prices for spinels, does this seem overpriced? For the smaller one. IMG_20190819_111623.jpg

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The only spinels I have really looked into are the reds (mahenge, Jedi, Burmese) which certainly don’t come cheap. There are some very knowledgeable PS’ers on the coloured stone forum so it might be worthwhile starting a thread over there to ask :) I know some do like grey spinels!

I’m guessing you meant $3000 aud and not $300,000!!!

Mina-Lo

Shiny_Rock
The only spinels I have really looked into are the reds (mahenge, Jedi, Burmese) which certainly don’t come cheap. There are some very knowledgeable PS’ers on the coloured stone forum so it might be worthwhile starting a thread over there to ask :) I know some do like grey spinels!

I’m guessing you meant $3000 aud and not $300,000!!!

Oooops! Yes, I meant $3000!!!
After doing a bit of research here I think the ring may still be a little overpriced.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that is overpriced for a grey spinel and at best an average looking halo....

CVB is another excellent choice to make your ring, what I'd do is measure the centre stone, get something made overseas and just get a good bench here to reset the centre. That is what I have done with some of my rings in the past when I don't want to ship the centre stone overseas.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If sourcing a setting from overseas is not an option, I would ask Alistair Kelsey for a quote. He is lovely, very professional and has excellent workmanship. His work is all hand forged.

Although I do not have any pave pieces from him, I know many PS’ers do. AND buying a plane ticket from Melbourne to Sydney and driving up for a holiday isn’t so pricey that it would be absolutely cost prohibitive should you want to deliver it to him in person!

I believe he may have been voted Australasian jeweller of the year at some point fwiw...

Otherwise I would absolutely go to Caysie (if you like the style or you don’t have a clear idea of what you want) or DK (if you have a clear idea of what you want).

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Three octagons... www

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results