shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I clean vintage jewelry with seed pearls and diamonds?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought a vintage brooch with supposedly OEC diamonds and seed pearls. From the pics, the diamonds look filthy. Anyway, I took a chance on this circle brooch, as the price doesn’t seem to match the description but is an amount I can afford to lose. If anything, I thought it might look pretty in the hair with an updo.

So how do I clean the diamonds without damaging the pearls or their attachment? Thanks. I’m not a pearl person so no idea...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest a soft tooth brush and some dish soap for the diamonds, certainly no jewelry cleaners as pearls are so soft. This way you can use the brush to get the grime off. Maybe keep a bowl of hot water handy so you can dip the toothbrush in it as you go.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest a soft tooth brush and some dish soap for the diamonds, certainly no jewelry cleaners as pearls are so soft. This way you can use the brush to get the grime off. Maybe keep a bowl of hot water handy so you can dip the toothbrush in it as you go.

Ok, yeah, that is kinda what I figured. Thanks. It’s going to be a nightmare cleaning the diamonds.

Last edited:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure about dish soap with pearls. I have heard people recommend Dr. Bronner’s fragrance free castile soap (the baby version).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure about dish soap with pearls. I have heard people recommend Dr. Bronner’s fragrance free castile soap (the baby version).

Thanks. I do remember reading about Castile soap around here somewhere

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's really no way to clean the diamonds without getting the pearls wet.
I would use soapy water and a small paint brush to get up under the diamonds.
You cant avoid the pearls, and they're gonna get wet. The soap and water probably won't affect the glue.
But if any of them become loose or fall off, just carefully re-glue them with epoxy or super glue.
Good luck!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's really no way to clean the diamonds without getting the pearls wet.
I would use soapy water and a small paint brush to get up under the diamonds.
You cant avoid the pearls, and they're gonna get wet. The soap and water probably won't affect the glue.
But if any of them become loose or fall off, just carefully re-glue them with epoxy or super glue.
Good luck!

Ok, thanks

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Do not use a toothbrush! Just use a little sable watercolor brush. I have a similar pin.. I just use pearl cleaner since I'm such a klutz.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do not use a toothbrush! Just use a little sable watercolor brush. I have a similar pin.. I just use pearl cleaner since I'm such a klutz.

Good idea, thanks.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OcnGypZ, not trying to be argumentative but why do you advise against a soft toothbrush just for the diamonds? If they are as dirty as she says I can't see a soft paintbrush getting them clean. Just genuinely curious, not trying to start a debate.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Lavish cleaner from HPD, LAD, etc. is supposedly gentle enough to use on pearls as well as cleans diamonds great. I’d start with that before anything else to minimize risk of damage to the pearls, and only use a brush (if possible) on the diamonds.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Lavish cleaner from HPD, LAD, etc. is supposedly gentle enough to use on pearls as well as cleans diamonds great. I’d start with that before anything else to minimize risk of damage to the pearls, and only use a brush (if possible) on the diamonds.

Oh can you use Lavish on pearls??? :appl:

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
@OcnGypZ, not trying to be argumentative but why do you advise against a soft toothbrush just for the diamonds? If they are as dirty as she says I can't see a soft paintbrush getting them clean. Just genuinely curious, not trying to start a debate.

This is a VERY small pin.. and one wrong move with a toothbrush can destroy the nacre of a seed pearl.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
33B7E032-B4B4-4DA9-8B1A-10BBEFFFC371.jpeg @whitewave I am giggling at this problem for you.... the lady that uses the ultrasonic 12 times a day on her diamonds! :lol: This is going to be an extreme test of your willpower.

I love that brooch! I picked up a $3 Krementz goldfill brooch at a flea market last month. I need a fancier lifestyle, because I want to buy more brooches!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
33B7E032-B4B4-4DA9-8B1A-10BBEFFFC371.jpeg @whitewave I am giggling at this problem for you.... the lady that uses the ultrasonic 12 times a day on her diamonds! :lol: This is going to be an extreme test of your willpower.

I love that brooch! I picked up a $3 Krementz goldfill brooch at a flea market last month. I need a fancier lifestyle, because I want to buy more brooches!

Seriously lol

I love brooches! I think this one will be a nice one for a dress blouse collar since it’s so small.

I LOVE that new brooch of yours!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's lovely @whitewave :kiss2: You'll have to take some hair pics for us!!

Unless you're attached to those specific pearls... I (personally) wouldn't worry too much. I'd (personally) just grab that baby toothbrush and scrub scrub scrub away until the diamonds are spotless... and then replace any seed pearls that might need replacing.

Perhaps I'm too irreverant though! :mrgreen2:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's lovely @whitewave :kiss2: You'll have to take some hair pics for us!!

Unless you're attached to those specific pearls... I (personally) wouldn't worry too much. I'd (personally) just grab that baby toothbrush and scrub scrub scrub away until the diamonds are spotless... and then replace any seed pearls that might need replacing.

Perhaps I'm too irreverant though! :mrgreen2:

I thought the same lol. Thanks.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my my my. I am in love :love::love: with this pretty little brooch. The diamonds are oec with such sweet high crowns :love:. I’d say the diamonds are k color.

C39B76E3-3B17-416F-9182-1A61E9DBAF2D.jpeg

I’ll add some crown pics and a perspective shot later on.

This is one of my better eBay purchases :appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, @whitewave! I've been waiting for this to arrive!

Can you tell us how wide it is from side to side?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How pretty! Love those high crowns. :kiss2:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How pretty! Love those high crowns. :kiss2:

Thanks, it’s hard to get pics today because I was rushing. I’m 10 days post surgery and in physical therapy 3x a week and just got slammed last night and this morning.

I also didn’t have anyone help me hold the camera while another holds the pin and the loupe lol

Reactions: AV_

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, it’s hard to get pics today because I was rushing. I’m 10 days post surgery and in physical therapy 3x a week and just got slammed last night and this morning.

I also didn’t have anyone help me hold the camera while another holds the pin and the loupe lol
Diamonds help with post-surgery recovery. True story, believe me. :lol:

Seriously though, hope you’re feeling better!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results