• The wee but stunning Ruby

Votes: 48 94.1%
  • The bigger and unusual Ruby

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BABBA8E2-CB9D-45A5-8755-3185B9A2DB53.jpeg 4701225D-1CD9-4877-BC2A-EF97AE1B2E01.jpeg 1E0D92EF-2E6C-4483-8AF4-966829DC3BC9.jpeg FB9B4FBB-20BA-49B1-BA49-BE5F5D524CBD.jpeg 628F2FE9-DBF3-4851-BB4A-37110DC9EDDD.jpeg DEDB5C69-0F42-4655-B15D-BFB2023165A4.jpeg It’s been nearly 2 years since I acquired my gem hoard.
DH tells me it’s time to make a decision as he has a nasty tax bill and selling shares at this time isn’t a good time and cashing out the term deposits will lose out on interest rates as these have tanked.
So what to do?
I have the two 9.2 mm rounds, these are pretty much a perfect matched pair which is rare. BUT I wanted to keep one and bought an amazing ring setting for this purpose BUT as a pair they are worth more. And splitting them up seems sacrilegious, and I wouldn’t wear them as as earrings myself, I’m definately more a ring girl.
I have the two Rubies and I already have a Ruby ring which is one of the few rings my daughter loves. It is Victorian and low set, very sweet. I don’t need two Ruby rings.
However the better Ruby, small as she is, will be hard to ever replace. She is old stock and has the most perfect (to me) colour. She would fit into a variety of “stock” settings. The other Ruby is bigger, an unusual shape (which suits my style better) and with a diamond halo would look amazing. It’s the wrong shape for the amazing ring setting so I’d need to have one made (greater expense).

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would sell the large ruby. Iirc, you have quite a ruby collection already, and if you can only keep one, the smaller one is more special. I would also sell the two sapphires. It would be a shame to break them up, and I think you could find a lovely single for a ring in the future.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may be interested in the sapphire pair, but they are probably out of my price range.

It would be hard for me to encourage you to sell those. They seem great.

I do love the smaller ruby.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Voted for the small ruby. The color is amazing and looks hard to replace.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
That's a lovely sapphire pair. I think they would be beautiful earrings.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From the way you phrased your post I would keep the small ruby (you are clearly most attached to it from what you write.).

Otherwise I would probably have kept the sapphire pair. Because I also agree with others above, that you have quite the ruby collection already and it'd be hard to add a lot of value to what you've already got.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I feel like my answer is a little biased but my 2 cents is to keep the wee ruby. It's beautiful!
I agree the sapphires are really lovely too, but if you don't want to make them earrings to me personally they would be left somewhat redundant. Not in a bad way, just surplus.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You seem to love the small Ruby the most, so I'd keep that.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep the small ruby, sell the 2 sapphires and the larger ruby.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
The small ruby is stunning. The sapphires don’t need to be in earrings. ;)2 One ring and one brooch...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PSers are smart people the small ruby is the best quality and will be the most difficult to replace of these gems, unless one or both sapphires come back as Kashmir, then they get my vote to keep.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The wee ruby looks fantastic!

But I can totally understand the pain trying to to part with the sapphire pair.

As I recall, you had some rough in your haul. Did you find new homes for those?

voce

Ideal_Rock
As much as I'd like to get Dawn, she will be the most difficult to replace. I'd say you should keep her and the sapphires and sell of the bigger ruby.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Voted for keeping the small ruby. Would be a pity to break up the sapphire pair. The buyer could make a pendant and a ring from the pair

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you seem to prefer the larger ruby for your collection, even though you know the smaller one is a better color? It’s a GORGEOUS color, and I agree that it’s perfect. But I think if you have a plan for the larger ruby someday, you’d like the unusual shape and the larger size.

Personally, I’d keep the smaller ruby, but I have nowhere near your collection. If I were YOU, I’d keep the larger one.

That setting for the sapphire - wow! What would you do with that if you sell the pair?

Also, is the smaller ruby the one you brought in to the class last year—when the instructor admonished you for walking around with a gem like that? :lol:

I have been eyeing your Elgin watch and the very dark sapphire with occasional brighter flashes on LT. My dd is a huge fantasy novel fan, and she has always said she wants a sapphire with those characteristics! I think I’ll send you an email about them. :whistle:

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Having recently been on a months long search for a pair of OMCs I would vote to keep the sapphire pair; would make a fabulous toi & moi ring :)

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
As much as I'd like to get Dawn, she will be the most difficult to replace. I'd say you should keep her and the sapphires and sell of the bigger ruby.

In another thread I made a comment about the small ruby and @voce almost decapitated me for saying I would have loved to buy it :shock:

just kidding :mrgreen:

Jokes aside, I have to agree with her. It’s the hardest to replace so I would keep it. On the other hand if you need cash it might be the one selling for the highest price give it’s quality.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with @voce, sell the big ruby and keep the small, extra special ruby, along with the two matching sapphires.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m on team keep the small ruby.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know more than I do about this stuff but the first (small) ruby looks very hard to replace. The rest you could re-acquire without too much difficulty, imo. Of course, that ruby would make a dent in the tax bill -- but as a private seller, I think you'd have a much harder time capturing the quality premium on that one than a high-end vendor could. Put another way, you'd be "wasting" more money by letting that one go at a steep discount, imo -- especially since you got it years ago at a good price. DH should respond to that. Like fire-selling a (commoditized) Camry vs a classic car.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard decision to make.
For a harder reason.
Do you have lab reports for them yet?

voce

Ideal_Rock
In another thread I made a comment about the small ruby and @voce almost decapitated me for saying I would have loved to buy it :shock:

just kidding :mrgreen:

Jokes aside, I have to agree with her. It’s the hardest to replace so I would keep it. On the other hand if you need cash it might be the one selling for the highest price give it’s quality.
Well, the other ruby is much larger. The other ruby would probably sell for much more than Dawn. It would have to take a connoisseur buyer to realize the special qualities of Dawn but the other ruby would sell well because of the size premium. When Inken supplied the ruby currently in my avatar, she told me that what sells the best is in the 2ct range.

I say sell the large ruby because, with the money that generates, you could keep both the small ruby (Dawn) and the sapphire pair.

Reactions: prs

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm team small ruby too - beautiful rubies of good colour are harder to find than sapphires.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:kiss2: one more vote for that pretty lil ruby

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 I believe Christie's has an office in Sydney. Auction might not be the quickest way to raise cash, but they might be able to give you a reasonable estimate of value, and maybe handle the cert thing for you.

Sotheby's might have an Australian office, but good luck finding any office locations on their ridiculous website!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Christmas has to be the peak selling season for jewelry when millions of men all over the globe are seeking presents for their loved ones. For sure 99.9% of those men are looking for finished pieces of jewelry and not loose stones. From what I saw of auctions last year, demand and prices seemed to be highest Sept thru Nov as the trade began the process of getting stocked up for Christmas. The price of loose stones definitely seemed to go down as Christmas got closer, presumably because people needed to be sure they could get them set in time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that depending on the timing of any sale, you might want to consider setting your stone(s) in order to maximize value.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to sell the small ruby, to me :twisted2:. Seriously that is a beautiful stone. I agree, sell the larger ruby, only the sapphires if you have to (they are gorgeous too), but keep the lil ruby it is special.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please don't sell the little ruby. It is a once in a lifetime find. You are a lucky lady to have this in your collection. I can see this becoming a family heirloom, especially with the cool story on how it came to be in your possession. I forget how old you said your daughter is. She may not be in love with jewellery or gems now but that may change. I used to really dislike rubies and now they are my favourite gemstone.

If you really want a sapphire ring I'd say just follow your heart and have one of them set into the ring and sell the other. I know a matched pair would likely get more but there will be many people who will want a single gem as well.

Good luck with your decision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results