shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricescopers I need your assistance finding a great emerald.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Our grand daughter was born at the end of May. I would like to create an Emerald pendant, something she'll have as she grows up. I don't want to go above .35 carat in weight for the Emerald. I have no idea who/where to buy this type of gemstone from or what to look for and what to avoid in Emeralds. I am not opposed to a vintage piece.A suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so very much.

Last edited:

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
My grand daughter was born in May and I'd like to create a pendant/ necklace, something that she can have/ wear as she grows up. I need help finding an Emerald no larger than .35 carat.
I have no idea where to look and what to look for in this gem. I am not oppose to a vintage piece if I can find one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reported this post to have it moved to colored stones, you'll get more eyes on it over there and they can help you find a wonderful emerald for your project =)2

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Cellimom what size do you want for the stone. As with diamonds the shape can impact the size big time, do you have a budget?
I did a quick look around at my usual vendors and didn't see anything under .5cts.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
@Cellimom what size do you want for the stone. As with diamonds the shape can impact the size big time, do you have a budget?
I did a quick look around at my usual vendors and didn't see anything under .5cts.
My first choice would be a square/ cushion
( hope that's an actual shape). I was looking at .35 carat. If you could give me the dimension of a .50 carat ( cut) it would help me visualize the stone. Thank you for reaching out to me cokitty.
As for a budget, I need to see what I am looking at and what is a reasonable price range for specific hue,colors, grade.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emeralds are less dense for their weight than diamonds so .35 ct will be larger than it would be in a similar diamond cut. With colored stones, cut proportions/face-up size vary a LOT more than for diamonds. So we can’t really give you a range a stone that size is likely to be because it’s so nonstandard.

Yvonne Raley (Cecile Raley Designs on Etsy) recently got back from Columbia with a bunch of great emeralds, including multiple smaller ones that would be suitable. I’d message her. Emeralds are very hard to photograph so I’d rely more on the vendor’s description than the pictures. Mastercut Gems has a number of emeralds, and I think Emerald Embassy (Embassy Emeralds? Something like that?) is another PSers have gotten emeralds from.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would email Inken and see if she has anything or has a contact.

[email protected]

She was able to get me an emerald at the past gem
show.

Also look at wildfish gems.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our grand daughter was born at the end of May. I would like to create an Emerald pendant, something she'll have as she grows up. I don't want to go above .35 carat in weight for the Emerald. I have no idea who/where to buy this type of gemstone from or what to look for and what to avoid in Emeralds. I am not opposed to a vintage piece.A suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so very much.
It depends on your budget, and how much treatment you’re willing to tolerate. You want a “great” emerald, but does that mean eye clean, top color, no treatment? If so, you may want to go with a dealer that specializes in just emerald, otherwise some of the other vendors mentioned here might be able to help.

The nice thing is that an emerald doesn’t have to be top color to be beautiful, but I would concentrate on a cleaner stone with minimal treatment. It will last longer and not lose its clean appearance over time. At least you’re looking for a sub half carat stone, where a cleaner gem might be more readily available.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on your budget, and how much treatment you’re willing to tolerate. You want a “great” emerald, but does that mean eye clean, top color, no treatment? If so, you may want to go with a dealer that specializes in just emerald, otherwise some of the other vendors mentioned here might be able to help.

The nice thing is that an emerald doesn’t have to be top color to be beautiful, but I would concentrate on a cleaner stone with minimal treatment. It will last longer and not lose its clean appearance over time. At least you’re looking for a sub half carat stone, where a cleaner gem might be more readily available.
TL you ask some very good questions and make some helpful points. I think I need to do more studying on Emeralds, characteristics, treatments etc.
I would like a bright green stone with blue tones not terribly included. I would consider a cabochon stone too. I haven't seen anything so far that I really like, but I've just started looking. As far as price I don't know where prices fall for an Emerald like you described. This is why I reached out to this community for suggestions,help and contacts, which I greatly appreciate.
Riley will be 12 weeks old on Saturday, I am hoping I'll be able to get this gift pulled together before she is 6 months old. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: T L

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Arthur Groom in Ridgewood NJ is known for Emeralds. He also developed the Excel treatment for Emeralds which is a reversible process. He has even displayed the Emeralds from the Atocha at his store. His trademark is Eternity Natural Emeralds. I know he has sources in Columbia and Afghanistan for Emeralds from either of those sources. I bought the first emerald he had cut from Afghanistan in about 2001 it was an almost flawless 90% Brilliance 3.5 ct stone.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the information. Funny I just saw a story on Emerald mining in Afghanistan last night and the quality was supposed to be very fine. I'll look into what you suggested.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Columbian material is the best. It has the bluish green velvet sheen many locations lack, even if the material is clean from those locales..

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
TL are you aware of the mines in Columbia and the difference in quality of emeralds mined ?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yvonne is probably your best best since you are looking at such a small size.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL are you aware of the mines in Columbia and the difference in quality of emeralds mined ?
Yes, but the best emeralds come from the Muzo mines in Columbia. Chivor produces beautiful material too, but it tends to be lighter, cleaner and more bluish. I’m not sure of which mine she obtains her stones from, but Yvonne’s emeralds look very “Chivor.”

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Nah, for small sizes, Afghanistan is best. Muzo material is more included than Afghanistan's. It's just that large emeralds from Afghanistan are so rare these days they may as well not exist. Plus, Columbians have had much more experience with marketing.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, for small sizes, Afghanistan is best. Muzo material is more included than Afghanistan's. It's just that large emeralds from Afghanistan are so rare these days they may as well not exist. Plus, Columbians have had much more experience with marketing.

Well, sandawana also for small

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Years ago Afghan Emeralds were purchased and shipped to Columbia and sold as columbian.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Afghan stones could probably be mistaken for Chivor, but Muzo? The thing is that even though Muzo stones are included, you can find clean ones in sub half carat sizes, as the OP is looking for.

I have seen emeralds from multiple locations, and I’m just a snob about Muzo stones. However, again, no matter where the stone comes from, it should look like an emerald, not a paraiba, not a green tourmaline, not a tsavorite, and that’s my advice. It should also have that velvety sheen, and the darkest Muzo stones almost look metallic green with a deep velvet glow about them.

Again, JMO, and I respect other opinions. Emerald is my favorite gem, so I’m a bit of an emerald junkie. :P2

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Afghan emeralds were sold as Chivor Mine

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes, but the best emeralds come from the Muzo mines in Columbia. Chivor produces beautiful material too, but it tends to be lighter, cleaner and more bluish. I’m not sure of which mine she obtains her stones from, but Yvonne’s emeralds look very “Chivor.”
Yvonne has emeralds from both Muzo and Chivor, and will say which mine if is from in the detailed descriptions. She personally favours more blue, so maybe she had more Chivor than Muzo.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Afghan stones could probably be mistaken for Chivor, but Muzo? The thing is that even though Muzo stones are included, you can find clean ones in sub half carat sizes, as the OP is looking for.

I have seen emeralds from multiple locations, and I’m just a snob about Muzo stones. However, again, no matter where the stone comes from, it should look like an emerald, not a paraiba, not a green tourmaline, not a tsavorite, and that’s my advice. It should also have that velvety sheen, and the darkest Muzo stones almost look metallic green with a deep velvet glow about them.

Again, JMO, and I respect other opinions. Emerald is my favorite gem, so I’m a bit of an emerald junkie. :P2
I have a Panjshir emerald in a small size. Its brilliance more than makes up for the lesser Muzo glow, and I'd say there is more metallic sheen than my Muzo clean emeralds of similar but smaller size. I couldn't mistake my Panjshir emerald for Chivor at all since it's very vibrant deep green. Russian material is probably more like Chivor but with less blue.

Likely there is a range of possibilities in Afghanistan emeralds, and we just haven't seen enough to know the finer specimens that are there. Muzo stones have been in museums for decades.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because what you are looking for is small by industry standards I'm going to agree with the vote for Pakistan, a Swat emerald from the Swat Valley (google it) will give you something small, beautifully coloured, and super affordable, they are often mistaken for Colombian because of their fine colour.

If you specifically want something from Muzo or Chivor ask Yvonne Raley she has small nicely coloured emeralds that she can source.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
I have a Panjshir emerald in a small size. Its brilliance more than makes up for the lesser Muzo glow, and I'd say there is more metallic sheen than my Muzo clean emeralds of similar but smaller size. I couldn't mistake my Panjshir emerald for Chivor at all since it's very vibrant deep green. Russian material is probably more like Chivor but with less blue.

Likely there is a range of possibilities in Afghanistan emeralds, and we just haven't seen enough to know the finer specimens that are there. Muzo stones have been in museums for decades.

Here's a Panjshir emerald in matrix that I bought recently:

Emerald in matrix.JPG

It's not a deep green but it does look beautiful and vibrant. I think the colour has come out very slightly more bluish on that photo than in real life.

I have read that the geology of the Panjshir deposit shares similarities with the Muzo and Chivor occurences in Colombia.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

All the Russian material I’ve seen looks like tourmaline to me, albeit very nice tourmaline!

Here’s a beautiful Ethiopian emerald for the OP to view. It could definitely pass for Chivor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu4BWN3HfL_/?igshid=sq1mtbysleyn

Not all Muzo will have that metallic sheen, but here’s a typical fine Muzo stone. They’re darker and a very intense green, but less blue than other locales. Of course. Some people prefer lighter emeralds, but for me, this is my personal favorite location. Not all Muzo will be this clean and fine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0T1WjwD12J/?igshid=hrbw1lzes9yk

I cannot find any Afghan cut gem material to link to from instagram, but perhaps someone wants to. I think it’s probably helpful for the OP to see examples from various locations so that she can make up her mind.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just remembered a story. When my daughter was little (2-3 maybe), my mother had to buy her a puffy gold heart, since she was the first granddaughter. My mom was all on about it.

Anyway, the very first time she put it on my daughter, my daughter felt it and promptly put it in her mouth and smooshed it. o_O:(2:blackeye::angel:

Emeralds are soft. .35 is small.

Maybe you should hold off and this could be an amazing 16th birthday present.

Just a thought.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results