shape
carat
color
clarity

At what size does a 3-stone lose it's lovely aesthetic?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ya'll are seriously the BEST!! I'm loving all these pics!!! Thanks, @SimoneDi!!! I also think that I'd want rounds instead of pears... maybe. ;-)

Go with rounds. I did mine in a 3 prong setting (well, ok, the inner 2 prongs were invisible set, but a '1 prong setting' just sounds nuts) and they end up looking like chubby pears anyway. If you do pears, the V on the end of the pear ends up (and this is my aesthetic only, granted) elongating the pear quite a lot - even if set by Leon or Victor - who do the tiniest V's possible for pear sets - and it looks (again, to my eye only) not as good. It changes the proportions and ergo the ratios; the pears look too long in relation to the center and it makes them look longer and skinnier.

So all that to say...do rounds. And the smaller the rounds, the more they look like pears if you do a 3 stone setting.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much! So a 2 carat center and .30 sides. My ring is 2.5 carat with .33 sides.

Interesting though that the side stones are not on a tilt or angle but are far below the center stone. It is a rather nice look though and I really do like the thinner shank. Thanks for sharing the link!

@MissGotRocks - I think they're .3ctw - not .3ct each. Like every second person on PS, I, too, have this ring saved on my computer!! :mrgreen:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MissGotRocks - I think they're .3ctw - not .3ct each. Like every second person on PS, I, too, have this ring saved on my computer!! :mrgreen:

Yes, SimoneDi pointed that out. Of course, on second glance, you can see and appreciate how small the side stones are. My very first three stone ring was by JB Star and had .15 each side stones. That was a much smaller center stone back then though!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, SimoneDi pointed that out. Of course, on second glance, you can see and appreciate how small the side stones are. My very first three stone ring was by JB Star and had .15 each side stones. That was a much smaller center stone back then though!

Baby, we've come a long way! :mrgreen:

My first sides on my first ever 3 stone were 10 pts each, and man, did I ever think I was the shizzle!! :lol-2:

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I am remembering correctly Live Affair Diamonds has a three stone in her personal collection with something like a 5 carat center. It’s huge and beautiful, check out her Instagram!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might be crazy, but I'm thinking of setting my 9.9mm oec into a 3 stone with 6mm (0.8ct) sides, on a size 3 finger. I think I can make it work.

This, I have to see. :eek-2::geek2:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
This, I have to see. :eek-2::geek2:

Alright, hear me out lol. It will definitely spill over, BUT your fingers are almost never closed together and it doesn't move up/down in a straight line while closed. My current 3 stone has 1.57ct (7.5mm) with 6mm sides (.88 & .9). From the top, it looks like it spills over and my fingers would rub, but it never does. I think with the right angle and the right setting, it could work. Even if it spills over, it's high up enough to give some clearance. Here's the 3 stone and solitaire.

Pics from IG since I don't have any on my phone, sorry I don't have any profile shots:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQgFzlVg5Zv/?igshid=19fxvgewyg0w5
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQgLVySg4yW/?igshid=6r3y0grwcfls

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright, hear me out lol. It will definitely spill over, BUT your fingers are almost never closed together and it doesn't move up/down in a straight line while closed. My current 3 stone has 1.57ct (7.5mm) with 6mm sides (.88 & .9). From the top, it looks like it spills over and my fingers would rub, but it never does. I think with the right angle and the right setting, it could work. Even if it spills over, it's high up enough to give some clearance. Here's the 3 stone and solitaire.

Pics from IG since I don't have any on my phone, sorry I don't have any profile shots:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQgFzlVg5Zv/?igshid=19fxvgewyg0w5
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQgLVySg4yW/?igshid=6r3y0grwcfls

Do it!! I’ve gotta see this! :love:

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@ForteKitty If I liked rounds enough, your current 6/7.5/6 mm would be my ideal; we have the same ring size. 6/10/6 will turn heads & still be every day reasonable, methinks. Looking forward to it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My first sides on my first ever 3 stone were 10 pts each, and man, did I ever think I was the shizzle!! :lol-2:

You got that right! And those were the days that the madness had just begun even though we thought we had arrived - lol!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lol, no kidding, my 3 other 3-stone rings that were bought locally. 20190702_163146.jpg

They are all about .50+ centers, and .25s sides. Top is a synthetic blue HPHT diamond, bottom is AGS000 but not to the precision of CBIs.

It looks like non of them fit anymore either, was size 3.5, then 4.0, now 4.5 in my 60s.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps use them in dbty bracelet? Or you can use the pears in a cool band design?
You're giving me naughty ideas, SimoneDi! :Up_to_something: The pears will definitely go into a ring. I'm toying with the idea of making a Victorian style crowned heart ring! (picture a rosie halo with delicate crown!)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're giving me naughty ideas, SimoneDi! :Up_to_something: The pears will definitely go into a ring. I'm toying with the idea of making a Victorian style crowned heart ring! (picture a rosie halo with delicate crown!)
Oh that will be pretty! Definitely don’t let them collect dust any longer, they are really pretty pears!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Full disclosure: I did not take photos of the ring I am about to describe, but it was glorious and makes me quite confident you can pull off a three stone.

A few months ago I had a ring sized at a local jeweler who specializes in a lot of estate pieces. They had a truly fantastic OEC three stone that I tried on. I was in a hurry to pick up my kids from a birthday party and honestly, completely blinded by the sheer carat weight on my finger so like a dummy, forgot to take a photo.

But.

This ring was 7 carats of three stone amazingness. Probably not the ratio you are going for as the side stones were, um, quite large, (as was the center!!!). My memory is really not doing well with specifications, but I think the center was about 3.5.

It fit my hand snugly, so I’m guessing a size 6. Now, would I have been comfortable walking around town with this wall of bling? Probably not initially.

Could I have acclimated? You bet.

I am wedding band shopping and was back at this same local jeweler today. I remembered this thread so I looked to see if the Mother of All Three Stones was still there...and it was! Actually, it appears to have reproduced because they now have a smaller (still large) identical version as well.

Without further ado. The 7.84 carat three stone. All OECs. 3.20 L center. Sides are 2.33 K and 2.31 L.

9C4DDC9F-1EA3-4A76-951B-9B3BBAA6D4B3.jpeg
There is a wee bit of overhang. But I would be willing to make it work if you twisted my arm.
85B06374-CCD3-4EAA-A906-951681F767B2.jpeg

A24CCC66-1F36-4FE1-BBCB-8C1926FFDA90.jpeg

832D633A-0017-418E-A00E-58615A8A1C84.jpeg

9AC0C470-BD7B-4FBE-8169-D022C078AC3C.jpeg

So to the original question—has this lost the ideal aesthetic? I would definitely prefer a smaller set of sides. My initial reaction was, “good god that’s a lot of diamonds.” Followed by, “wow, those are interesting proportions.”

Followed by, “good god that’s a lot of diamonds.” :lickout:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without further ado. The 7.84 carat three stone. All OECs. 3.20 L center. Sides are 2.33 K and 2.31 L.

There is a wee bit of overhang. But I would be willing to make it work if you twisted my arm.

So to the original question—has this lost the ideal aesthetic? I would definitely prefer a smaller set of sides. My initial reaction was, “good god that’s a lot of diamonds.” Followed by, “wow, those are interesting proportions.”

@Tonks - I know these aren't necessarily your ideal proportions, but I definitely think you should take one for the team on this. :mrgreen:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am wedding band shopping and was back at this same local jeweler today. I remembered this thread so I looked to see if the Mother of All Three Stones was still there...and it was! Actually, it appears to have reproduced because they now have a smaller (still large) identical version as well.

85B06374-CCD3-4EAA-A906-951681F767B2.jpeg

A24CCC66-1F36-4FE1-BBCB-8C1926FFDA90.jpeg

832D633A-0017-418E-A00E-58615A8A1C84.jpeg

9AC0C470-BD7B-4FBE-8169-D022C078AC3C.jpeg

Holy sh!t! That's a large ring right there! LOL

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd give anything to find a three stone ring with 6.5-10-6.5 proportions. Someone wanna sleuth for me?? LOL ;-) #butseriously

Reactions: AV_

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay... so I got the ring, but they’re WAY OFF on the stone diameter. It’s more like 11.5-12 mm with 5 mm sides. The good news is that, although the stone was way out of my comfort zone, I feel confident that my center could work with 5 mm sides! Mine is 9.8 mm... What do y’all think??

F958C556-1DF7-44ED-94B3-DEBE98C62492.jpeg 4CA48673-B401-48B0-B5EA-7ABDB5180A03.jpeg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It look great on you even with the larger center stone! Especially, if the side stones are slightly tucked under and tilted, it will look fantastic. Are you still thinking of upgrading your center stone as well?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they fit across your finger for sure. How is the comfort when worn? Do the side stones overlap your other fingers at all? How high are these stones set? Might make a difference for your ring depending on how high you would want your own diamonds set.

I do like the proportions and think they would look even better with your size diamond.

Hard to judge the overall aesthetic since the fun ring has such a chunky setting and I am sure your ring would have a more delicate and well-made setting. But if the goal was to see if the stones would fit without looking too over-the-top, I'd say you got your answer: "Yes!"

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Okay... so I got the ring, but they’re WAY OFF on the stone diameter. It’s more like 11.5-12 mm with 5 mm sides. The good news is that, although the stone was way out of my comfort zone, I feel confident that my center could work with 5 mm sides! Mine is 9.8 mm... What do y’all think??

F958C556-1DF7-44ED-94B3-DEBE98C62492.jpeg 4CA48673-B401-48B0-B5EA-7ABDB5180A03.jpeg

I’m always team three stone so it’s a definite yes from me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results