shape
carat
color
clarity

Share your blooms - what’s ‘growing on’ in your landscape?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have threads for pet, kid & bling pics; why not one for sharing blooms & other interesting or unique plants, foliage, etc?

I was tickled this morning that my Robert Fleming hibiscus has finally bloomed, so here it is!
C86056D1-74CF-4052-852D-93223F243796.jpeg

I just love this deep crimson color! My old house (that I sold last year) had several hibiscus varieties, as they are one of my favorite plants, and I miss having them all. So I picked up a few earlier this spring from my regular go-to nursery for our new home’s landscape, but so far, this is the first to bloom.

Anyone else have stuff they are growing they want to share?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beach house front yard.

4E8BED86-B851-4E19-81C1-C806F86E841F.jpeg

DA2C5058-FDAD-4AB3-B735-B3524DC7E5A2.jpeg
A40AA081-7779-4539-834A-2D8E533BFC6D.jpeg

And in Brooklyn

EB9BD869-8665-472D-8D32-4E756B7F188C.jpeg

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely, lovely blooms & yards @missy ! Are your yellow roses the sunny knockouts? I have one, and the fragrance is just so sweet! And your Japanese maple is gorgeous! We are thinking of adding one to our front yard in the fall when temps aren’t so brutally hot. Thank you for sharing!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! I wish I lived somewhere hibiscus could grow, that is stunning!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy the weeds blend in to near invisibility.

red berries.jpg big bed.jpg pepper.jpg lipsstick.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! I wish I lived somewhere hibiscus could grow, that is stunning!

Thank you! But you may be able to grow the hardy hibiscus varieties little extra effort for your zone. That’s the variety I grow/prefer, as the ‘tropical’ varieties are really not perennial from mid-Atlantic northward. The hardy varieties will die back in the winter, but always re-emerge faithfully for me in the late spring once ground temps warm up. If it’s super cold in your area’s winter months, you can either put a heavy layer of mulch over the roots for insulation/protection, or keep them in pots that you can relocate to a basement or garage for dormancy during cold months.

The nursery I get mine from also has good info pertaining to winter protection in various zones for everything they sell, as they ship plants all over N. America. It’s www.plantdelights.com and they are happy to answer questions by phone or email.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely, lovely blooms & yards @missy ! Are your yellow roses the sunny knockouts? I have one, and the fragrance is just so sweet! And your Japanese maple is gorgeous! We are thinking of adding one to our front yard in the fall when temps aren’t so brutally hot. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you @the_mother_thing, yes they are knockout roses. They grow so well and last for so long. Love that they last for months. The Japanese maple we planted a few (2?) years ago and knock wood its growing well. I wanted a different species but my dh misunderstood and got us this one but it worked out well. I still plan on getting the one I originally wanted but have to figure out where we can plant it. One day I will get photos of the backyard greenery. We had to replant the whole thing after Sandy as our backyard was completely destroyed but we planted very hardy trees (Hollywood Junipers) for the environment and they love the damp soil and humid air and so far have handled storms well.

Found one photo from 2 weeks ago. You can see the Junipers.

backyardsunsetjune2019.png

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata VERY pretty! I eventually want to get some veggies & herbs going, maybe next year. Is the last pic you posted a variety of ginger, by chance? It’s very cool/unique!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @the_mother_thing, yes they are knockout roses. They grow so well and last for so long. Love that they last for months. The Japanese maple we planted a few (2?) years ago and knock wood its growing well. I wanted a different species but my dh misunderstood and got us this one but it worked out well. I still plan on getting the one I originally wanted but have to figure out where we can plant it. One day I will get photos of the backyard greenery. We had to replant the whole thing after Sandy as our backyard was completely destroyed but we planted very hardy trees (Hollywood Junipers) for the environment and they love the damp soil and humid air and so far have handled storms well.

Found one photo from 2 weeks ago. You can see the Junipers.

backyardsunsetjune2019.png

@missy I want dibs if you ever decide to put this beach house up for sale. Thatpeaceful view is my heaven. I'm sure The Donald will have rules about Brits buying in his country though :D

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I want dibs if you ever decide to put this beach house up for sale. Thatpeaceful view is my heaven. I'm sure The Donald will have rules about Brits buying in his country though :D

When you reschedule your visit here we will try to figure a way that we can make a beach house visit work @Alex T .
And as for "The Donald" hopefully by that time he won't be in office any longer. ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found some more photos.
I think these 2 are from last summer
flowers.jpeg

flowers1.jpg

and these are from just a few weeks ago.

flowersfrontyard.jpeg

daffodils.png

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've moved on from vegetable gardening in a huge backyard to a townhouse with room only for container gardening this year, so I've been focusing on houseplants and trying to curate a nice collection one plant at a time. I can honestly say I have never killed a houseplant; I have a knack for growing things and making them thrive.

This is Bruce. Bruce is a Monstera deliciosa and was given to me in a much smaller state by a friend who moved away. When I freed Bruce from its original container which was maybe 10" it was entirely root-bound and I had to cut away the plastic to avoid doing too much damage. I potted it up in a 24" container and put it outside on my covered patio last summer and it went GANGBUSTERS. It's been indoors now for the past few months and is continuing to thrive by a south-facing window. It's too bright on my patio for Bruce, so indoors it stays.
fullsizeoutput_cd0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_cca.jpeg

This is my most recent addition, a Begonia rex "Escargot." I saw them on Instagram and had to have one. I ordered this one from Santa Rosa Gardens in FL and it took 8 weeks to arrive, but it was worth the wait! Right now I have it growing in a NIMBUS container which is a self-watering system I use for fussier plants until they really get established. This plant is hanging out by my front door because it's mostly shade all day.
fullsizeoutput_cd7.jpeg

Next is a jade plant, Crassula ovata "Hobbit." This one was a housewarming gift. I fell in love with these plants at a local nursery (I like to tour the tropical plant greenhouse in the dead of winter). They had a very large specimen for sale and it was $450. I'm a serious plant enthusiast but not $450 serious.

zJ0gBMcWTf2ar%66spHEMw.jpg

Last one is an Arrowhead plant. A couple of years ago it arrived on my doorstep in a tiny 3" container. I have no idea who left it there, must have been the Plant Fairy. Anyway, it has been repotted twice now and has really taken off this year since I've put it outside (in shade). I wish I had a "before" image of this one; the difference is pretty amazing.

fullsizeoutput_cdd.jpeg

ETA: there are some great Insta accounts for plants. I like #jungalowstyle.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun thread TMT!
Here are some flower shots from a few weeks ago. We had a cool rainy Spring. I especially love Peonies!
53706B68-0EDB-4C57-83F7-CA5FAEE07888.jpeg AE5B3901-D3FC-4D4E-B43C-298B62033A42.jpeg 31191CEB-57FB-4DB0-AC93-55FB4CA57EEE.jpeg A4A9F8E1-15E9-4605-B3E0-387FF916FA9E.jpeg 6D9F159B-F25C-4C2A-A49A-4A1C71DA54AA.jpeg 602A481B-FB9B-48A6-BF74-5BF343E7BE88.jpeg
And I see you little bun snacking on my flowers! :(2
4C9B225F-0ED7-4980-971A-F35602152526.jpeg

bibiloves

Shiny_Rock
I've moved on from vegetable gardening in a huge backyard to a townhouse with room only for container gardening this year, so I've been focusing on houseplants and trying to curate a nice collection one plant at a time. I can honestly say I have never killed a houseplant; I have a knack for growing things and making them thrive.

This is Bruce. Bruce is a Monstera deliciosa and was given to me in a much smaller state by a friend who moved away. When I freed Bruce from its original container which was maybe 10" it was entirely root-bound and I had to cut away the plastic to avoid doing too much damage. I potted it up in a 24" container and put it outside on my covered patio last summer and it went GANGBUSTERS. It's been indoors now for the past few months and is continuing to thrive by a south-facing window. It's too bright on my patio for Bruce, so indoors it stays.
fullsizeoutput_cd0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_cca.jpeg

Hi @monarch64! do you have any tips caring for the monstera beside putting it by a south facing window?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

fullsizeoutput_cd0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_cca.jpeg

This is my most recent addition, a Begonia rex "Escargot." I saw them on Instagram and had to have one. I ordered this one from Santa Rosa Gardens in FL and it took 8 weeks to arrive, but it was worth the wait! Right now I have it growing in a NIMBUS container which is a self-watering system I use for fussier plants until they really get established. This plant is hanging out by my front door because it's mostly shade all day.
fullsizeoutput_cd7.jpeg

Next is a jade plant, Crassula ovata "Hobbit." This one was a housewarming gift. I fell in love with these plants at a local nursery (I like to tour the tropical plant greenhouse in the dead of winter). They had a very large specimen for sale and it was $450. I'm a serious plant enthusiast but not $450 serious.

zJ0gBMcWTf2ar%66spHEMw.jpg

Last one is an Arrowhead plant. A couple of years ago it arrived on my doorstep in a tiny 3" container. I have no idea who left it there, must have been the Plant Fairy. Anyway, it has been repotted twice now and has really taken off this year since I've put it outside (in shade). I wish I had a "before" image of this one; the difference is pretty amazing.

fullsizeoutput_cdd.jpeg

ETA: there are some great Insta accounts for plants. I like #jungalowstyle.

Wow Monarch, your house plants are amazing! You and I are complete opposites. There is not one house plant that I have not managed to kill, so nowadays I only plant artificial house plants!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @monarch64! do you have any tips caring for the monstera beside putting it by a south facing window?

Make sure it's in a large enough pot.

Don't overwater! I water mine maybe once a week, and I don't soak it every time. Just enough to give it a good drink. When the soil on top starts looking dry/crumbly that's when I water.

Trim off any yellowing or dead leaves/stems as they occur.

Turn it every few days to promote even growth (I haven't done that much this year and it shows).

If your window isn't that bright, and your plant isn't huge, consider setting it outside for a few hours a day in the summer months. If you have a place outdoors that's part shade it would be very happy there. There is some info in this article regarding light levels for monstera plants that is interesting and helpful.

Talk to it. Tell it how beautiful it is. :mrgreen2::lol-2:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Monarch, your house plants are amazing! You and I are complete opposites. There is not one house plant that I have not managed to kill, so nowadays I only plant artificial house plants!

I always say there is no such thing as a black thumb. I think the most successful gardeners are those who have a genuine interest in the plants themselves and a thirst for knowledge about each one. I know an orchid grower here who has been in business for 50 years. He doesn't do anything BUT orchids and when he does presentations you can tell how passionate he still is about them. He actually grew all of the orchids used in his wedding 40 years ago! Plants are a commitment, some more than others. That NIMBUS container I mentioned is awesome for people who forget to water or aren't home much. You can go for up to 4 months without worrying about watering a plant in those things. I don't have a stake in the product but I know the inventor and he's super cool. Annnnnd now I sound like a total plant nerd. :geek2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's ours plus we have a huge row of
daisies that bloom right around the 4th in the last pic

IMG_5427.JPG IMG_5429.JPG IMG_5430.JPG

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hibiscus coccineus is blooming! :appl:

I love this plant for the unique star-shaped outline that appears within the blooms as well as the petals’ vibrant red color. The green ‘star’ is actually the protective leaves that surround the bloom before it opens.

All four of these pictures were taken this morning over a two-hour span as it opened halfway, then fully.

B547D2FB-D458-43A4-89AF-1B2AF250389C.jpeg D7918412-364C-4CCB-A567-8321677037CE.jpeg F7A3ADB0-2470-4012-BFC5-3F3FFA07ECB0.jpeg 8F310CB2-2BB0-45F6-B895-6488394C7F8F.jpeg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun thread TMT!
Here are some flower shots from a few weeks ago. We had a cool rainy Spring. I especially love Peonies!
53706B68-0EDB-4C57-83F7-CA5FAEE07888.jpeg AE5B3901-D3FC-4D4E-B43C-298B62033A42.jpeg 31191CEB-57FB-4DB0-AC93-55FB4CA57EEE.jpeg A4A9F8E1-15E9-4605-B3E0-387FF916FA9E.jpeg 6D9F159B-F25C-4C2A-A49A-4A1C71DA54AA.jpeg 602A481B-FB9B-48A6-BF74-5BF343E7BE88.jpeg
And I see you little bun snacking on my flowers! :(2
4C9B225F-0ED7-4980-971A-F35602152526.jpeg

*gasp!!* How beautiful! :love::love::love: That first pic, so gorgeous!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hibiscus coccineus is blooming! :appl:

I love this plant for the unique star-shaped outline that appears within the blooms as well as the petals’ vibrant red color. The green ‘star’ is actually the protective leaves that surround the bloom before it opens.

All four of these pictures were taken this morning over a two-hour span as it opened halfway, then fully.

B547D2FB-D458-43A4-89AF-1B2AF250389C.jpeg D7918412-364C-4CCB-A567-8321677037CE.jpeg F7A3ADB0-2470-4012-BFC5-3F3FFA07ECB0.jpeg 8F310CB2-2BB0-45F6-B895-6488394C7F8F.jpeg

Fabulous color!!! :love:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uugh, it’s a hot mess over here. My original lavish garden I made 20 years ago is gone. After two polar vortexes in a row, nearly everything died. Then my Hawthornes got sick. The then grasshoppers ate my irises. Then wild berry vines took over. So I paid a crew to come basically pull everything up. That was 1-2 years ago and I’m deciding this fall what to do about it. I’m either letting grass grow to the house (actually most of my high end neighbors have done this and it looks fine because we are in a highly wooded area and most of us have large front porches, so it’s not grass to brick).

Or I’m going to put it all back as it was 20 years ago when I made it.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, lots of gorgeous flowers, yards and gardens. Sweet.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uugh, it’s a hot mess over here. My original lavish garden I made 20 years ago is gone. After two polar vortexes in a row, nearly everything died. Then my Hawthornes got sick. The then grasshoppers ate my irises. Then wild berry vines took over. So I paid a crew to come basically pull everything up. That was 1-2 years ago and I’m deciding this fall what to do about it. I’m either letting grass grow to the house (actually most of my high end neighbors have done this and it looks fine because we are in a highly wooded area and most of us have large front porches, so it’s not grass to brick).

Or I’m going to put it all back as it was 20 years ago when I made it.
that's so sad
but good luck with the refurbishment/restoration/ lawn

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results