shape
carat
color
clarity

2.7 Carat OEC Diamond Reset

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The halo stones in this ring are 4mm, not .4ct. So they're about .25ct each. .4 would be markedly bigger.

I think every day about turning my 3 stone into a 9 stone cluster, using the 2 x .62ct stones that are currently sides, and getting 6 more. The ring, all up, would then be slightly over 8 ctw, with a diameter of 20.3mm. My current cluster with the sapphire center, is roughly 17mm, and I have plenty of room on that to go larger. Like you, I like a BIG ring.

BTW, that ring was made by Steven Kirsch, not DKJ. His work is lovely, but so is DKJs, so it comes down to price for me and with whom I get along best.

Wowsa, that would be AMAZING!!! I am leaning towards ten .50ct stones for my surround... I really think that is what is going to best achieve the look I am going for.

Reactions: AV_
L

lydial

@CharlotteYork My center stone is 1.15 ct and the surrounding stones are 1 ctw exactly (10 x 10 points). I think the radius/diameter matters more than the ct, but you are probably pretty close with your math:) I went with shared prongs, but if you want the v-shaped outer prongs you may want to research vintage van cleef and arpels clusters because Steven Kirsch told me that is their style. You should really consider him for your project IMO... He will not copy anything outright which is a good thing IMO. Here is a link to another inspiration cluster for you! https://www.victorbarbone.com/produ...855497&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Pinterest

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh interesting about the v-shaped prongs @lydial... Do you mean like this turquoise ring with v tips (listed as van cleef) or like my Holy Grail ring with what appears to be v-prongs inside the surround stones?

van-cleef-arpels-v-setting.jpg
van cleef and arpels v-prong tips

HOLY-GRAIL-edwardian-diamond-cluster-inspiration.jpg
Holy Grail ring with v-prongs in between side stones

Here is another ring I found (not listed as van cleef) that also appears to have v-prongs in between the side stones...

v-prongs-Antique-Cluster-Engagement-Ring.jpg
v-prongs??
v-prongs-side-stones.jpg
Hmmm....
v-prongs.jpg
are these v-prongs in between the stones?

v-prong-cluster.jpg
And the side prongs in the inspiration picture you just sent also seem to be v's yes? https://www.victorbarbone.com/produ...855497&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Pinterest

DFE76271-4395-44F7-9A8E-9FB33212EF9D.jpeg
your pretty shared prongs!

I'm not sure what to think of these v-prongs. I don't like the pointy ones like the turquoise ring, but I do like them in between the stones I think. But I also like yours with the shared prongs. Decisions, decisions! What were your thoughts during the process?

Attachments

• v-prongs-side-stones.jpg
    v-prongs-side-stones.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 21
  • v-prongs.jpg
    v-prongs.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: AV_

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are my cluster earrings by David Klass. I think the prongs may be similar to the inspiration pic. Obviously, much smaller, lol! DKJPV19_04_15_ER_ 51985 -- 1.jpg DKJPV19_04_16_ER_ 51985 -- 2.jpg DKJPV19_04_16_ER_ 51985 -- 1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of those were made like the Van Cleef setting. I think that petal halo would work best as a regular halo like with the turquoise ring as opposed to a cluster. I love that Van Cleef ring, though!

If you use .50 stones for your halo, you'll be close to 20mm in width. So I maybe didn't realize you want the ring to be wider than the top of your finger. I'd cut out a 20mm circle and put it on your finger and be sure you like that size. Most clusters with those proportions are done with smaller stones than yours.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
These are my cluster earrings by David Klass. I think the prongs may be similar to the inspiration pic. Obviously, much smaller, lol! DKJPV19_04_15_ER_ 51985 -- 1.jpg DKJPV19_04_16_ER_ 51985 -- 2.jpg DKJPV19_04_16_ER_ 51985 -- 1.jpg

These are absolutely stunning! Would you recommend working with David Klass? I'm hoping to start requesting quotes next week.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
None of those were made like the Van Cleef setting. I think that petal halo would work best as a regular halo like with the turquoise ring as opposed to a cluster. I love that Van Cleef ring, though!

If you use .50 stones for your halo, you'll be close to 20mm in width. So I maybe didn't realize you want the ring to be wider than the top of your finger. I'd cut out a 20mm circle and put it on your finger and be sure you like that size. Most clusters with those proportions are done with smaller stones than yours.

Ahhhh, yes 20mm sounds perfect, I just checked out the size on my finger. That looks to be the size of my inspiration ring, and I love it! I am also considering wearing the ring on my right middle finger, as @dreamer_dachsie suggested.

I do think I would prefer a slight angle to the side stones, however, like on my inspirational "Holy Grail" ring and like @lydial 's. The big one in my first two inspiration pictures below is flat across. I think a slight angle is pretty and probably better showcases the center stone... and I think it would better hug the finger since the ring is going to be so massive.

diamond-ring-inspiration.jpg
inspiration ring for size
diamond-ring-side-view.jpg
side view
slight angle of side stones on the "Holy Grail" ring

@lydial 's ring

B2E002AE-83AA-4E81-88EA-01A65196EF70.jpeg
@lydial 's profile... stunning!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are absolutely stunning! Would you recommend working with David Klass? I'm hoping to start requesting quotes next week.

Thank you! I absolutely recommend working with David Klass. His work is refined, he is professional and courteous, timelines are reasonable, communication is thorough, and his prices can't be beat.

L

lydial

Oh interesting about the v-shaped prongs @lydial... Do you mean like this turquoise ring with v tips (listed as van cleef) or like my Holy Grail ring with what appears to be v-prongs inside the surround stones?

van-cleef-arpels-v-setting.jpg
van cleef and arpels v-prong tips

Holy Grail ring with v-prongs in between side stones

Here is another ring I found (not listed as van cleef) that also appears to have v-prongs in between the side stones...

v-prongs-Antique-Cluster-Engagement-Ring.jpg
v-prongs??
v-prongs-side-stones.jpg
Hmmm....
v-prongs.jpg
are these v-prongs in between the stones?

v-prong-cluster.jpg
And the side prongs in the inspiration picture you just sent also seem to be v's yes? https://www.victorbarbone.com/produ...855497&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Pinterest

your pretty shared prongs!

I'm not sure what to think of these v-prongs. I don't like the pointy ones like the turquoise ring, but I do like them in between the stones I think. But I also like yours with the shared prongs. Decisions, decisions! What were your thoughts during the process?

He sent me pics of via earrings that look like your holy grail, it is a type of prong. I have seen DK do some clusters like that on here. Depends how you want your gallery to look!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok, that makes sense, thank you so much for the clarification!! Thank you so much! Silly question though... what is the "gallery"?

L

lydial

Ok, that makes sense, thank you so much for the clarification!! Thank you so much! Silly question though... what is the "gallery"?

The under-part (basket, but not all rings have a basket, so it is called the gallery...)

Did you see the Etsy link I? 12 x 25 point oec’s.......

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The under-part (basket, but not all rings have a basket, so it is called the gallery...)

Did you see the Etsy link I? 12 x 25 point oec’s.......

Fabulous, thank you! You have been a TREMENDOUS help, and I am so grateful!! I did see that Etsy ring, it is stunning!!! But I think I have decided I need .50s... this thing is going to be massive! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are very wise to tilt the halo just for aesthetic purposes. Mine is, and I definitely like it better than pancake style! :lol:

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am so excited, I have an update!!! Kismet led me to the most beautiful antique 10 stone OEC diamond pin that simply could not have been more perfect for this project! I have been working with David Klass, who is WONDERFUL!!! David has sent me two CAD options along with plastic molds, and I need your advice on how to proceed. The side stones are 3.45cts total (4.46mm, 4.29mm, 4.35mm, 4.64mm, 4.37mm, 4.60mm, 4.42mm, 4.31mm, 4.57mm and 4.27mm) G/H/I color, SI2-VS2 in clarity. My center stone is 8.9mm (2.70cts) J VS1. Here are my two options:

1. Cluster ring with 10 sidestones
2. Cluster ring with 9 sidestones

I really really want to use all 10 diamonds, but in order to get them all to fit properly, extra metal and two sets of prongs are necessary around the center stone. I would prefer to have as little metal and prongs as possible. With 9 side stones, there is less metal and only one set of prongs around the center stone, but the shank does not line up evenly due to the odd number... one side connects at a sidestone, and the other side attaches at a prong. Also, I prefer the size of the 10 stone ring. Below are pictures of the two options, but first... a picture of my Holy Grail antique inspiration ring... I want mine to look as much like this one as possible.

holy grail ring.jpg
Holy Grail Inspiration Ring above (with 10 sidestones - note that it does have metal around the center stone... I cannot tell how many sets of prongs around the center).

OPTION 1 - TEN SIDESTONES
View attachment 703534
10 SIDESTONES
View attachment 703536
10 SIDESTONES

OPTION 2 - NINE SIDESTONES
View attachment 703533
9 SIDESTONES
View attachment 703535
9 SIDESTONES

Lastly, I thought you might like to see the antique pin... I found it at an estate auction and got it for a song. The sparkle of the diamonds is out of this world! The second picture shows my center stone in its current setting. (David is hand cutting a carbouchon opal to replace the diamond in the deco 1930s platinum and sapphire setting.)
View attachment 703532
View attachment 703531

Please let me know if you would choose 9 or 10 sidestones... I really want to use 10, I'm just worry it might have too much metal.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the amount of metal between the center stone and cluster stones on the original inspiration match most on option one CAD.
I recently saw somewhere a cluster stone ring, large-ish like this, and it had the layout of option two CAD on the clusterstones. It jumped out at me as noticeable - but we are talking about huge pictures on a screen. Don’t know if it would be as noticeable IRL, or even bother me.
Nice score on the pin!

Edit - I vote 10.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much!
I think the amount of metal between the center stone and cluster stones on the original inspiration match most on option one CAD.
I recently saw somewhere a cluster stone ring, large-ish like this, and it had the layout of option two CAD on the clusterstones. It jumped out at me as noticeable - but we are talking about huge pictures on a screen. Don’t know if it would be as noticeable IRL, or even bother me.
Nice score on the pin!

Edit - I vote 10.

Thank you so much! So you vote for the 10 stones, yes? I wonder how many sets of prongs are around the center stone in the Holy Grail Inspiration Ring?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote 10 and I also vote for removing the pave on the shank. Lovely pin and project!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ten stones, no melee on the shank.

Reactions: D&T
L

lydial

Hi, I agree w/ 10 stones. It will be perfect I think. Or take out 2 of the pin melee and ask for smaller ones and locate them at the shoulder sides. My cluster has no shadow line or metal between the center stone and melee, which gives it a more sleek or contemporary illusion look, which is not what you are going for. I also agree the shoulders are a little distracting From the wow factor of the cluster, including the curly cues underneath, but you do need something on the shoulders. I love this one of his:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzTSHQBFKQd/

Or this with dimensions to match your sizable cluster:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Buka_GIFEzC/

Please do not be offended if my idea does not match yours, no matter what it will be amazing!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much, I am very happy the consensus is to use 10 stones. :) Yay! Regarding the melee and underneath the ring, I was inspired by @LJsapphire 's 1910-1920 Edwardian era sapphire and diamond cluster ring...

bottom-view.jpg side-view-but-not-so-thick-around-the-stones- and-Center-stone-should-NOT-be-set-flat.jpg sides-shank:band-front.jpg

I absolutely love it and really don't want to change it. :cry: Here are a few more antique cluster rings with melee on the sides (all antique)... And keep in mind, my cluster is so large you will not be able to see this detail from the front, only by looking at the sides of my finger...

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 8.22.57 AM.png
floral-engagement-rings-diamond-round-cut-halo-vintage-estatediamondjewelry-via-instagram.jpg s-l1600.jpg

@mrs-b , I think this basket inspired one of your clusters as well... would love your thoughts. I certainly do not want to make a mistake!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @CharlotteYork! :wavey:

No, it didn't inspire one of my clusters - some of the recent incarnations you'll see on PS were inspired by one of my clusters. I designed the original basket / under-carriage and I've seen it pop up in various forms, to a greater or lesser degree, ever since. When I had mine remade with better quality stones, it was done by DKJ. They asked if they could re-use my design, and I said yes. Here is my original design - the azure holes look a tad mangled at the top, but they're not. They're actually very neat and even right around the basket. I think this was reflection from the trees outside where these photos were taken.

P4150180a.jpg

P4150217s.JPG

P4150221s.JPG

P4150218s.JPG

And I agree - 10 stones. I prefer that look, tho I do think 8 can look lovely as well. Mine isn't a good representation of proportion, as the center stone was only .65ct, bezeled, then with more setting metal around that. When I had it remade, I put a far larger sapphire in it - despite the side stones being roughly the same size - and did away with the bezel. Looks way better.

I now have a complete set in this design - ring, earrings and pendant. I absolutely love it.

ETA And I'm sorry if you're getting emails every time someone posts to this thread. It took me a few iterations to get what I was trying to say right!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The inspiration ring has a single prong on the outside of each stone, which will emphasize the outline scallop... the CADs don’t have this - is the omission deliberate?

3A881160-795F-4EF5-9797-8345073F0614.jpeg

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi @CharlotteYork! :wavey:

No, it didn't inspire one of my clusters - some of the recent incarnations you'll see on PS were inspired by one of my clusters. I designed the original basket / under-carriage and I've seen it pop up in various forms, to a greater or lesser degree, ever since. When I had mine remade with better quality stones, it was done by DKJ. They asked if they could re-use my design, and I said yes. Here is my original design - the azure holes look a tad mangled at the top, but they're not. They're actually very neat and even right around the basket. I think this was reflection from the trees outside where these photos were taken.

P4150180a.jpg

P4150217s.JPG

P4150221s.JPG

P4150218s.JPG

And I agree - 10 stones. I prefer that look, tho I do think 8 can look lovely as well. Mine isn't a good representation of proportion, as the center stone was only .65ct, bezeled, then with more setting metal around that. When I had it remade, I put a far larger sapphire in it - despite the side stones being roughly the same size - and did away with the bezel. Looks way better.

I now have a complete set in this design - ring, earrings and pendant. I absolutely love it.

ETA And I'm sorry if you're getting emails every time someone posts to this thread. It took me a few iterations to get what I was trying to say right!

Thank you @mrs-b ! I am in love with your cluster collection, and that basket is stunning! And yay, another vote for 10 stones! :)

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The inspiration ring has a single prong on the outside of each stone, which will emphasize the outline scallop... the CADs don’t have this - is the omission deliberate?

3A881160-795F-4EF5-9797-8345073F0614.jpeg

Oh wow, I had not noticed that before, you are correct! The image quality on the Holy Grail ring is not the best, and it is tough to see all the details... And as I am looking more closely it does look like my Holy Grail has two sets of prongs around the center stone as well?

Do you think I should have that single prong added to the outside stones? I went through my inspiration file, and found this ring where you can more clearly see V-prongs and a single prong on the outside of each stone... (although the craftsmanship on this ring is not as delicate as my Holy Grail).

e19bafd8b42e942f734993bc56fc3e7b.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd have to go with 10 because I just like symmetry! The tilt looks good to me, and I am fine with or without the diamonds on the shoulders. I also like the v prongs between the stones. I don't see anything I'd change about the 10 stone cads.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This ring is SO pretty! its romantic and feminine! I love the dynamic swoopy band! and the cluster is EXTRA spectacular!!! I love!

It is stunning!!! Thank you so much for sharing, I love this!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results