shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on cornflower sapphire

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful color! Beautiful tone!
Also speaking on size, while im a gal that loves huge honkers, for my engagement ring I opted for my dream emerald that was apprx. 1.50 cts @ 6.5x8mm emerald cut so not large by any means (but not small either) but the important thing to me was for it to be framed by my fingers and not be overly in your face but just the right size.

Like a Goldi-locks story (: After seeing this Sapphy on your fingers, the elongated look is perfect for you as you have such long, thin, and elegant fingers as well.

Its a perfect choice IMHO when it comes to its size. Pardon me if it was already said but will this be your engagement ring? Or just a dream ring you've pined for for years that youre treating yourself to?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful color! Beautiful tone!
Also speaking on size, while im a gal that loves huge honkers, for my engagement ring I opted for my dream emerald that was apprx. 1.50 cts @ 6.5x8mm emerald cut so not large by any means (but not small either) but the important thing to me was for it to be framed by my fingers and not be overly in your face but just the right size.

Like a Goldi-locks story (: After seeing this Sapphy on your fingers, the elongated look is perfect for you as you have such long, thin, and elegant fingers as well.

Its a perfect choice IMHO when it comes to its size. Pardon me if it was already said but will this be your engagement ring? Or just a dream ring you've pined for for years that youre treating yourself to?

Thank you for your kind words and yes, the size is a perfect fit too! I've actually seen some quite nice cornflower sapphires, but they were 4 ct. and above and covered almost my entire finger which...wasn't quite the look I wanted for an engagement ring :) Do you have any setting suggestions? I posted a few reference pics before, but I'm not 100% decided yet.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your kind words and yes, the size is a perfect fit too! I've actually seen some quite nice cornflower sapphires, but they were 4 ct. and above and covered almost my entire finger which...wasn't quite the look I wanted for an engagement ring :) Do you have any setting suggestions? I posted a few reference pics before, but I'm not 100% decided yet.

Your welcome! ;))
& It depends on your style preferences. Personally I will be having Caysie from CVBInspiredDesigns make my engagement ring setting as Im in love with everything that she comes up with but to be fair I've heard a few not so great stories about communication from her. Never the less for me personally, I cannot imagine having someone else create my ring. Her designs are marvelous and in my opinion there isnt anyone creating her type of work.
I also have heard fabulous things about David Klass. Hes kind of the golden child around here because hes quick and will create exactly what you describe. With him you're the designer and hes incredibly patient and kind; even in my brief encounter with him it was a great experience.
If you havent heard of either I'd look into both! (:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget for the setting?

voce

Ideal_Rock
If you're based in Singapore, I'd rather work with local jewelers if I were you. CvB is a detailed and meticulous aesthetic that is sure to be unique, but you would be paying designer prices for her settings. Depending on what the customs for your country is, it would cost even more to ship your stone to a vendor located in the US (CvB or David Klass), because even if you won't have to pay customs when it's dropped off in the US, you'll have to pay customs to import your finished ring.

If you have competent local jewelers, I would advise against going with foreign designers for the setting. It's just that most PS'ers and the recommended vendors on PS seem to be based in the US, and it wouldn't occur to us to factor in customs when we're considering cost. But they are very real costs, and I urge you not to forget to factor this in, not take a whatever-it-costs approach unless you can afford it and it makes sense to you personally.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Your welcome! ;))
& It depends on your style preferences. Personally I will be having Caysie from CVBInspiredDesigns make my engagement ring setting as Im in love with everything that she comes up with but to be fair I've heard a few not so great stories about communication from her. Never the less for me personally, I cannot imagine having someone else create my ring. Her designs are marvelous and in my opinion there isnt anyone creating her type of work.
I also have heard fabulous things about David Klass. Hes kind of the golden child around here because hes quick and will create exactly what you describe. With him you're the designer and hes incredibly patient and kind; even in my brief encounter with him it was a great experience.
If you havent heard of either I'd look into both! (:

They both sound great! Unfortunately, I'm in China and customs might be a bit steep :cry2:

What is your budget for the setting?

Up to USD1500 since I prefer simple designs.

If you're based in Singapore, I'd rather work with local jewelers if I were you. CvB is a detailed and meticulous aesthetic that is sure to be unique, but you would be paying designer prices for her settings. Depending on what the customs for your country is, it would cost even more to ship your stone to a vendor located in the US (CvB or David Klass), because even if you won't have to pay customs when it's dropped off in the US, you'll have to pay customs to import your finished ring.

If you have competent local jewelers, I would advise against going with foreign designers for the setting. It's just that most PS'ers and the recommended vendors on PS seem to be based in the US, and it wouldn't occur to us to factor in customs when we're considering cost. But they are very real costs, and I urge you not to forget to factor this in, not take a whatever-it-costs approach unless you can afford it and it makes sense to you personally.

I'm in Shanghai, but noted! I've actually found a couple of jewelers already, just trying to mentally design the setting now :geek2:

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
that is a beautiful sapphire and sounds exactly like what you wanted. congrats on finding that perfect gem! please definitely post many, many, maaaaanny photos of the ring once it’s set! can’t wait to see them!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Definitely set locally. Would love to see your ring when it’s set too.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
@icy_jade @fantapanda I'll definitely keep everyone posted! I'm thinking of either a vine/leaf motif or swirls so far since I use them so often in my artwork lol

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Have a consultation w/a jeweller this Sunday!

Other setting styles I like:

IMG_20190725_075829.jpg IMG_20190725_075752.jpg IMG_20190725_075808.jpg IMG_20190725_075734.jpg mmexport1564012860531.png

What's everyone's fav?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of these -
The first and second!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
4th... but if you change your mind a halo will be nice... :P2 not just because I love halos but I always feel safer knowing there is some protection for the stone.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a consultation w/a jeweller this Sunday!

Other setting styles I like:

IMG_20190725_075829.jpg IMG_20190725_075752.jpg IMG_20190725_075808.jpg IMG_20190725_075734.jpg mmexport1564012860531.png

What's everyone's fav?

Do you plan to wear it with a wedding band? In that case I would ask the designer to create a design for the band directly. It will be difficult to combine Some of these with a band.
I like three, fout and five

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Do you plan to wear it with a wedding band? In that case I would ask the designer to create a design for the band directly. It will be difficult to combine Some of these with a band.
I like three, fout and five

No wedding band, planning on just one ring so stackability isn't a factor :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
I personally still much, much prefer these first two designs you posted to the ones posted later.
Thank you! I definitely will do so :)

Yep, the shade's deeper in the dim lighting setting. I think as long as it doesn't fully blacken and it still has an attractive color in my normal lighting setting (that is, brightly lit office), I'll be fine with it. Ahhhh I'm excited!

Maybe I"m getting ahead of myself, but now I'm deciding on a perfect setting. Anyone have suggestions? I was thinking of something simple like this:

upload_2019-7-22_10-23-14.png

OR:

upload_2019-7-22_10-23-46.png

What does everyone think? Also, white, rose, or yellow gold?
Particularly the second one with the leaves to the sides. I think it's a very elegant design, plus it's stackable with bands or even eternity rings. Only change I would make is to have pave diamonds across the leaves because diamonds add a little sparkle. ;)2

I know it's not customary to wear wedding bands in China, but I like the option of stacking my rings, and none of the bypass designs that you later posted would truly be stackable.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I personally still much, much prefer these first two designs you posted to the ones posted later.

Particularly the second one with the leaves to the sides. I think it's a very elegant design, plus it's stackable with bands or even eternity rings. Only change I would make is to have pave diamonds across the leaves because diamonds add a little sparkle. ;)2

I know it's not customary to wear wedding bands in China, but I like the option of stacking my rings, and none of the bypass designs that you later posted would truly be stackable.

True, especially if I start building my ring collection! XD Actually, I just found a beautiful design which I think is a good compromise between the more flowy designs and the leaf one, namely:

IMG_20190726_075254.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The new inspiration looks good!

I do think using marquise diamonds rather than 2 rounds to make up a leaf shape makes a big difference visually, especially when you see the ring in person.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock

I do think using marquise diamonds rather than 2 rounds to make up a leaf shape makes a big difference visually, especially when you see the ring in person.

Agreed! Plus you can never go wrong with an extra diamond or two XD

voce

Ideal_Rock

Agreed! Plus you can never go wrong with an extra diamond or two XD

I agree with both of you here. Depending on the size of the side diamonds, marquis cuts will give you more bang for your buck, as they are one of the cheapest cuts and give a large face-up size for the carat weight.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with both of you here. Depending on the size of the side diamonds, marquis cuts will give you more bang for your buck, as they are one of the cheapest cuts and give a large face-up size for the carat weight.

Oh I didn't know that! I'm thinking of keeping the side diamonds pretty small, but I'll have to talk to a jeweler about design & proportion specifics. I like that this design is delicate feeling but also has some interesting design features as well :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I'm chiming in, (sorry so late, its been a crazy week) I think its a gorgeous stone. Does seem different from the images but not by much. I see more silk in your images than the vendor ones.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Well I'm chiming in, (sorry so late, its been a crazy week) I think its a gorgeous stone. Does seem different from the images but not by much. I see more silk in your images than the vendor ones.

Thank you! I'm addicted to holding it up to the sunlight every morning just to see how it glows, so I guess I'm in love lol.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Was the meeting with the jeweler productive? :geek2:

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Also after seeing everyone's lovely paraibas...I've been tempted to snag one for myself as well lol. I chatted w/a seller and she sent me this; 2.25ct and RMB15,000, unheated. Seems almost too good to be true??? FYI ring setting isn't absolute; I can opt to switch it for another setting paraiba2.jpg paraiba3.jpg
paraiba1.jpg paraiba.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Also after seeing everyone's lovely paraibas...I've been tempted to snag one for myself as well lol. I chatted w/a seller and she sent me this; 2.25ct and RMB15,000, unheated. Seems almost too good to be true??? FYI ring setting isn't absolute; I can opt to switch it for another setting paraiba2.jpg paraiba3.jpg
paraiba1.jpg paraiba.jpg
It's possible if the origin is Mozambique. I would want to see a lab report and see what it says. I love it in the current setting. It looks like a snowflake, and is really pretty!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
It's possible if the origin is Mozambique. I would want to see a lab report and see what it says. I love it in the current setting. It looks like a snowflake, and is really pretty!

Lab report that was provided to me:

mmexport1564385898181.jpg

I'm very tempted since it's an untreated stone that looks like it has pretty good clarity and the price isn't too insane. What do you guys think?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think you should go for it! :D

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Buy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results