shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes, maybe it’s bad pictures, as I see quite a gray mask for a paraiba. I have a cuprian that looks like that, it’s pretty for an indicolite, but meh as a copper bearing tourmaline. It doesn’t black out, but is the same color as that.
Honestly, I have to go back and look at it on another screen. I look at gems on my work computer, my phone, and my laptop(s) at home. Gems look different depending on which device. I didn't see gray from my work computer. It's hard to come across good indicolite these days, and good paraibas...I won't be able to afford them at the new prices.

Reactions: T L

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock

voce

Ideal_Rock
I know... it’s just too bad it’s a large size. :oops2:

Dang skippy! If it was even close my my size, I’d already be wearing it. :P2

Haha, the tables are turned! It is in my size. :twisted2:

However, 2 things are holding me back.

1) I promised DF I wouldn't make any new gem purchases for the rest of this year or start any new projects until next year (unless I get a windfall bonus).

2) The style of the ring is such that I don't know if I can wear it with my other rings.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not neon though. I just wish vendors would stop calling non neon stones, “Paraiba.” That’s a regular indicolite.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Not neon though. I just wish vendors would stop calling non neon stones, “Paraiba.” That’s a regular indicolite.
Even if they're copper/manganese bearing? A beautiful stone nonetheless

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if they're copper/manganese bearing? A beautiful stone nonetheless
Absolutely, I have a tourmaline identical to that color. It has a GIT memo indicating the presence of copper. I do not consider it glowy, neon or a Paraiba. However, I do think it’s a lovely stone. My problem is that when vendors use the paraiba moniker, they tend to charge paraiba prices. :(2

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely, I have a tourmaline identical to that color. It has a GIT memo indicating the presence of copper. I do not consider it glowy, neon or a Paraiba. However, I do think it’s a lovely stone. My problem is that when vendors use the paraiba moniker, they tend to charge paraiba prices. :(2

Preach! :clap:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's right under the "Gem ID#."
$10,400 :eek2:

For the size the fact its copper bearing (even though its Nigerian), and yes they can be called Paraiba type stones, its not the worst I've seen for size , clarity and cut.

My take is this; if AGL is calling it a Paraiba Type stone then it is.

A Paraiba from Brazil will cost several times this stone easily.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I paid $12,000 in 2000 for a 1.56 ct Brazilian Paraiba. Yes it glows more but now that one is $15,000 to $20,000 a carat. A 5 ct Brazilian is at least $30,000 per carat now.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the size the fact its copper bearing (even though its Nigerian), and yes they can be called Paraiba type stones, its not the worst I've seen for size , clarity and cut.

My take is this; if AGL is calling it a Paraiba Type stone then it is.

A Paraiba from Brazil will cost several times this stone easily.
It’s a lovely stone, but non copper bearing indicolites can be found with the same hue/saturation/tone for far less per carat. I’m perplexed with AGL on this one, but maybe they’re more”generous” with their paraiba designations????

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TL, from what I remember reading years ago, there was an agreement by most independent labs on these paraiba type stones. A pretty decent PDF from GIA can be found here https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/spring-2006-paraiba-tourmaline-chemical-fingerpinting-abduriyum

IMO, the difference is truly in the price. A paraiba from brazil, is just going to cost way more money. A paraiba type from another local? Not as much. There's an agreement on the amount of copper these stones must have and clearly some of them do have it enough to warrant the designation.

voce

Ideal_Rock
It’s a lovely stone, but non copper bearing indicolites can be found with the same hue/saturation/tone for far less per carat. I’m perplexed with AGL on this one, but maybe they’re more”generous” with their paraiba designations????
Labs have trouble scientifically quantifying the "glow" factor. As far as I'm aware, all the labs are calling cuprian (copper containing) tourmaline "Paraiba type". In this instance, your personal criteria for what can be considered paraiba is higher than what the labs would call paraiba.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me tooooooo but I NEED TO STOP BUYING LOOSE STONES UNTIL I SET SOME!!!

I feel you. I would have bought it if I didn't JUST thirty minutes ago buy something else. And hadn't gone on my little buying extravaganza the other week.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
e3050312-f8d2-445e-a2d6-13b80e25ff78.jpg
72889bbc-8b4a-447e-862f-4057c160b2e0.jpg
1874c7e1-226c-412f-af0f-7fd72b587178.jpg

On Catawiki ending in like 3 hours, this auction has many gorgeous lots, but this one, oh my, if I had some thousands dollars to spare I'd buy it so fast

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results