shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you keep cool?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@RunningwithScissors In the south of Spain, I am also not using AC. Windows are open at night, the shades are down during much of the day & there is always a tray of ice on my desk - often with fruit on top for good measure. This is my fourth summer in Granada - hoping for many more to come.

Sounds like Heaven. Love the fruit on top of ice idea...taking notes! :kiss2:

Reactions: AV_

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in Florida so, I do lots of outside stuff in the early morning or late evening. I keep the blinds closed during the hottest part of the day. My house is also white, so does reflect the sunlight back off and keeps the house cooler. will probably always keep it white

Now, that said, I keep the temp in my house at 77-78F during the day and 75F at night. I like to sleep cooler when I can. I can't live without AC though. The AC is just enough to take the humidity out of the house + my house is concrete block construction with impact windows, and that helps a lot to keep the heat out.

Also, ceiling fans are the bombdotcom

We also do a cucumber and mint water (and we drink a lot!). its really good feels very refreshing. I added some citrus slices which was also nice.

I also started drinking half my water intake as alkaline water. you know, I might need a separate thread on that....

I wear loose flowy stuff mostly these days except when I'm at the gym. then I wear the most sweat wicking stuff I can find. If I have to be outside I do wear light/white/neon reflectie type clothing. I have to admit I don't mind the long sleeves too much.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We live in the Southwest, and everyone has a swamp cooler (also known as "evaporative cooler")
This usually works well, unless we get some rain. Then the humidity makes it less effective. We also use fans in many of our rooms.
I get cold easily, so air conditioning makes me uncomfortable.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s so hot here. I didn’t even turn my A/C on until a few weeks ago. Now I refuse to go anywhere without it. We are suppose to get a break tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In two days time it's supposed to be 27 degrees celsius here = 80.6F it's the middle of winter, you have to love tropical Australia. A US warship docked here the other day and all the guys from the US were saying we can't believe it's the middle of winter this is like our summer :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds great. I also dislike air blowing on my face directly. Off to google Vornado fans. Thanks!
I have one for my basement in Pa for when we are drying out the darn leak. It is powerful! I think I bought it at Costco..but I’m sure Amazon has it.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha my kid and I had a face off during our last summer heat wave. It was 100 degrees F (38 degrees C) and we stared at each other and said "I don't need aircon, do you?"

Ended with my husband coming home everyday and telling us "You crazies!!!!" before turning on the aircon.

Lots of watermelon and ice blocks. We also sit in a clam shell each on the deck or sit in the water at the beach. Like just sit in the water under a brolly for most of the day.

Or go to shopping centres for free aircon!

Hand wave fans and water spray bottles filled with ice water.

@arkieb1 I fried an egg for my dog during summer whenever the kid decides he wants to fry an egg in the car.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After moving to San Francisco and freezing my tush off the first year (I lived in the inland hotter region of LA), I’ve acclimated.

Now I think it’s hot when it pushes past 72.

We don’t have AC since those days are pretty rare around these parts. I have an oscillating fan I turn on if it gets maybe past 85. A few weeks ago, it was in the 90s and I couldn’t stand it. We took the dog to the beach to cool off in the ocean breeze. Luckily, it’s just 10 minutes from me.

No pool, and I don’t know anyone with a pool either.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s going to hit high of 65 today. Perfect!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the heat index is over 100 degrees right now but we just completed a 62 mile bike ride (hitting 3,007 miles so far this season woohoo) and I am now enjoying a nice hot bath with a nice cool smoothie I made. Ahhh this is the life on a hot summer day. And those pools look mighty inviting too if I may say.:whistle:

Starting our ride at 5:45 AM this morning. You can already see the heat and haze even that early.

Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 12.14.19 PM.png

Getting hotter very quickly this morning.

hotsummerday.png

Whew, good ride.
62.png

Enjoying a nice warm bath with a cold smoothie.
bathandsmoothie.jpeg

My dh is enjoying a swim in the sea right now. You can see him floating. I guess it's too hot to do laps. :bigsmile:

gregswimmingaugust2018.jpg.png

1896249wrr738gi7w.gif

Stay cool everyone.
1237378tapy7m6a6j.gif

Attachments

• bathandsmoothie.jpg
    bathandsmoothie.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 14

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I have to spend some time outside in uncomfortable heat with my son's baseball games. I find that using a minty essential oil on my pulse points (and really all over!) helps me feel a little cooler. I like Aveda's blue oil roller ball for portability. I also use those cooling towels on the back of my neck. For days like today where the heat index is over 110 with incredibly humidity...I just don't go out unless necessary. The dog trainer came today at 9.30 and both my dog and I were about to keel over.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Windows open at night then everything closed up in the morning. We are lucky that it cools down overnight here unlike inland California. I can remember nights in the 90's as a kid. After 14 years of living in this house we finally got A/C last month. The menopause old lady in me is so happy. Our weather has been unusually cool so far this summer though. Go figure. Last year at this time it was high 90's or 100's.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t cool off unless it’s over 100 degrees. I love the heat. Summer is the only time of year that I feel alive.

Although, all of your pools look amazing and I want one now. How do I convince my husband to fork out $60,000 to dig a pool?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t cool off unless it’s over 100 degrees. I love the heat. Summer is the only time of year that I feel alive.

Although, all of your pools look amazing and I want one now. How do I convince my husband to fork out $60,000 to dig a pool?
Ha! I visited my sis (south of you) and grandma (FO) last month and sis has a pool. All her neighbors have pools too. It is too dang hot for me down there, I would have to buy a house with a pool.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! I visited my sis (south of you) and grandma (FO) last month and sis has a pool. All her neighbors have pools too. It is too dang hot for me down there, I would have to buy a house with a pool.

Pools are very nice. I grew up with one and it did not suck. Nowadays if I could I would get a saltwater pool. Those rock. And I would want an indoor pool too but I digress.:cool2:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know. Pools cost so much money to put in. Luckily, we bought a house with a pool. We did have to invest some money in it though. We had the old deck removed and replaced, we put in a new liner and converted from cholorine to salt, and replaced the ladder and diving board. We are also on our second pool robot but it is SO worth it. I love my back yard. I had a fb memory pop up the other day of what our pool looked like when we bought it, and I had recently took a pic about a week ago. LOOK at the difference!

FB_IMG_1563366509347.jpg Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 11.49.17 AM.png

Attachments

• IMG_20190714_152253.jpg
    IMG_20190714_152253.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190714_152253.jpg
    IMG_20190714_152253.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 13

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know. Pools cost so much money to put in. Luckily, we bought a house with a pool. We did have to invest some money in it though. We had the old deck removed and replaced, we put in a new liner and converted from cholorine to salt, and replaced the ladder and diving board. We are also on our second pool robot but it is SO worth it. I love my back yard. I had a fb memory pop up the other day of what our pool looked like when we bought it, and I had recently took a pic about a week ago. LOOK at the difference!

FB_IMG_1563366509347.jpg Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 11.49.17 AM.png
Oh my gosh what a lovely pool and backyard! :appl:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pools are very nice. I grew up with one and it did not suck. Nowadays if I could I would get a saltwater pool. Those rock. And I would want an indoor pool too but I digress.:cool2:
Where we are now it might have to be an indoor pool and/or heated or else only used a couple months of the year!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh what a lovely pool and backyard! :appl:

Thanks Red! We put in a goldfish pond on the edge, so we can hear the waterfall while we swim. It's heavenly!!!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pool and I hate it! I haven’t been in my pool for over two years. I have a fear of water. I know, I’m weird. It’s not a particularly large pool or a deep pool but for some reason I have a fear of drowning.
When I’ve been in it I won’t go to the deep end.
When we lived in NY we did have a saltwater pool built at our house but when we moved to NJ I told my husband I would never do that again. Too much headache dealing with the construction companies, etc. But he wanted a house with a pool so we bought a house with a pool. He loves it, I don’t.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We keep the blinds shut, fans always on (in the correct direction) A/C as needed!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I miss my hot tub. i don't have a pool (I really don't want one) but there are days that I would love to have my hot tub back.. (it was in use year round!)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have A/C in our bedroom and our oldest son's bedroom. Technically he is not supposed to have a window air conditioner because he was recently diagnosed with asthma but it is just too damn hot. Our younger son has a ceiling fan that keeps his room cool, his room is on the east side of the house so it's cooler by evening.

DH hates the heat, he grew up living on the second or third floor with only box fans in the window:eek2: I grew up on the second and third floor but we always had window units in every room. Luckily our house is one floor so it's not as bad. Would love to have a pool though.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm from/in a "cooler" part of Oz with high altitude so it rarely gets above 30 degrees here in summer but even so I always assumed being an Aussie somehow I could cope with the heat (have lived in a few warmer parts too) but nooooooooooo when I moved to UAE and it was literally 50 F*CKING DEGREES OUTSIDE, that my friends is real heat... :eek2:

I coped by wearing cool, loose clothes in natural breathable fibres. Lots of cool drinks, icecream etc, always hat & suncream. Do everything early or late - never middle of the day. Don't over-exert yourself!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I lived in south Texas, I'd put my underwear in the freezer in order to get a cool start in the mornings =)2 Heat + humidity = ill-tempered matata.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lived in Australia the first 40 years of my life and it was hot. Then, 15 years after leaving Australia, we moved to Massachusetts where we now have 3 months of cold weather, 3 months of arctic weather, 3 months of temperate weather, and 3 months of living in a sauna. Summer here is just unreal. For the last 2 nights it's been in the low 80's overnight and it's not at all unusual to wake up at 3am and find the humidity is 95% +. I'll take dry heat any day and enjoy it - but this hot, wet soup is horrendous. Today was 99 with a heat index of 110 and the humidity is currently 66% - which isn't too bad. But when it's the same temp and the humidity is 97%? Ugh - awful!

I have no natty tips for keeping cool, but a shallow, heated plunge pool is definitely on our to-do list!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a small pool in our small yard, but I love it. 100 degrees is hot but we often see it get over that. We just returned from Oregon and my son said one day his car read 109 while he was driving home from Riverside. We have air, which we keep at 72 pretty much all year. I just stay in and sew. When it is going to be that hot you can't even go outside to exercise at 5 am~it is already getting hot. I keep some exercise DVD's ready to go and do that.
If we could find a semi affordable house on the coast, I would really be tempted to move. I love sleeping to an ocean breeze and don't mind cold a single bit (except snow, don't want to shovel it ever again). I couldn't do humidity or the crazy Arizona temps my daughter lives with.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Alabama, it's pretty much miserable from May to October. Sooooo damn hot and HUMID. We keep the AC going non-stop and our plantation shutters closed. I try to stay inside most of the time. My husband does landscape, and I honestly don't know how he lives that way. We have a pool in the common area of our subdivision, but it's totally packed out by 9:00 AM. UGH!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results