shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of a big pastel blue sapphire?

Should I get the stone?

• Yes

Votes: 31 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hi fellow cs lovers, my jeweller has a fairly large (6.5 ct) unheated Sri Lanka pastel colored sapphire at a relatively decent price (I think). Problem is I’m looking for an unheated cornflower blue (eye roll I know cause like everyone wants that)...

I’ve seen the stone and I really like the size. Think is around 10mm. Also it will never go dark.

Pics:
Shaded daylight. It’s pictured with a heated stone 3.x ct that I think can get a cornflower grade if it was unheated.
06BA2DB0-F2A6-4430-A581-2F1C4EBD4CDB.jpeg

Orangey store lighting
52BF1D41-DACC-4A57-B5F7-4B15A17D5BDD.jpeg

Orangey light in temp casing to see how it looks with halo
4B22A522-8551-4A28-BFCF-C5C540FA6025.jpeg

Against the lotus chart, it’s darker than pastel but lighter than cornflower.
61531719-208A-4819-A745-5B48B8F49479.jpeg

What would you do? o_O

If anyone has pastel blue sapphires, any pics and your thoughts on them are appreciated. Tried looking for pastel blue sapphires and seems like everyone here has the most gorgeous cornflower or vivid blues.

Also appreciate your thoughts if you don’t have pastel blue sapphires of course.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
A few more stills from a video I took:

Daylight - somewhat shaded
BCFFC3A3-080B-42AB-8E5C-45F2D003795D.jpeg

Shaded daylight
F2345E65-BB3D-45E1-B685-B5C3B31C3A0C.jpeg

About to re-enter shopping centre light :lol:
You can see how the other sapphire went black. But my skin also went a few shades darker so I think is more of the phone camera can’t adjust to the change in lighting but included this as that’s what I mean by it doesn’t go dark.
62C8EEDE-1431-474D-B750-05862935301B.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn’t look overly pastel to me. I actually really like it..and I’m not usually a fan of straight up blues. The never go dark feature is a real bonus too. :mrgreen2:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends if you really love it or not, everyone wants "cornflower" but what they are actually asking for is a vivid colour somewhere between pastel and cornflower on the Lotus chart, I've had blue sapphires come back from Lotus as "medium" and "cornflower" yet in reality they are darker that what most people on here describe as "cornflower" in colour.

Anyway it's hard to find decent mid blues that each of us like so the decision should be based on if you love it or not irrespective of what anyone else thinks.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It doesn’t look overly pastel to me. I actually really like it..and I’m not usually a fan of straight up blues. The never go dark feature is a real bonus too. :mrgreen2:

Thank you! Means a lot coming from a CS expert like you.

Depends if you really love it or not, everyone wants "cornflower" but what they are actually asking for is a vivid colour somewhere between pastel and cornflower on the Lotus chart, I've had blue sapphires come back from Lotus as "medium" and "cornflower" yet in reality they are darker that what most people on here describe as "cornflower" in colour.

Anyway it's hard to find decent mid blues that each of us like so the decision should be based on if you love it or not irrespective of what anyone else thinks.

Yes I’ve see cornflowers from reputable labs that I thought were too dark.

I’m not sure that’s why I’m crowdsourcing opinions :P2. It’s got stuff going for it (size, unheated) and stuff against it (not so intense color). So I really can’t decide. It’s USD5.xk (below 6k) after conversion from local currency. Seems very reasonable especially after some scary prices I saw at the local Jewellery show.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get it if I was into blues!

It is a kickass size, good price and a really nice colour. The kickass size is the deciding factor for me though! And unheated! Plus the colour is pleasant.

It is not the rich velvety blue but it is nice!

Depends on if you heart wants a rich, velvety blue. Eg I am weird about pads. I cannot live with a weak pad so I had to have that "wrong" pad colour. But if you are amenable to shades of blue (I am such a green tart, will get anything green) then you should get it!

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
i second @arkieb1’s comments. i was recently looking for a “bluer” sapphire than my ER and reached out to a vendor. he was wonderful in sending multiple videos of the sapphire in different lighting. like you described with other sapphires, it goes dark indoors or in dim lighting but is gorgeously blue in the sun.

i chose my ER based on that and it’s very light blue (gary b who sold me the stone called it a denim blue). it doesn’t go dark on me and actually looks better indoors and in shaded outdoors. it was exactly what i wanted. so TLDR, if this pastel blue sings to you, go for it! can’t have too many sapphires ;)2

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously not an expert, but FWIW I think it is beautiful. It doesn't strike me as pastel. Something to be said for a sapphire that doesn't black out...my sapphire does in low lighting situations and it's a bit of a bummer. The size is awesome and I adore the shape.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Without taking into account naming conventions, I would have called this colour 'cornflower blue' because it looks the part - not too light, not too dark & with a sligjt tinge/colour change to violet. Beautiful summer colour!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn’t strike me as a pastel stone, either.
For me, the size and the faceting make up for a ton, over what grey is there. Love that it’s not all the tiny ‘Portuguese’ type facets.
I really like the colors that I see in this.
If you don’t consider it ‘settling’ over a different stone that may be out there for you - and can love it for what it is - why not?

It’s lovely. I’ll be here for you if you tire of it in a few years!:twisted2:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you buy this one, are you still continuing your search for an unheated blue sapphire? If so, don't buy it.

In any case, FWIW, although I think it is fairly priced for what it is, and the color/shape is pretty, it is not a saturated stone and for that reason I'd pass.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you should go for it. I like it better than the one in the iorn throne style hallo in your top photos. And it is an incredible price.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the color, but again you need to feel the love. I have a sapphire ring which honestly, I don’t know what the color is. I chose it out of a lot which my jeweler brought back for me from Tucson, which included some darker, richer stones because I loved the play of light within the stone. It never is dark, always alive with light, yet not overwhelming. So as an owner of a medium to lighter sapphire, I love it. There is a different feel and spirit to them which I believe is hard to compare to darker stones.

Now if you are really looking for a cornflower blue and will feel inclined to keep searching after you buy this one, I’d say pass because it’s not completely captivating to you.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I would get it if I was into blues!

It is a kickass size, good price and a really nice colour. The kickass size is the deciding factor for me though! And unheated! Plus the colour is pleasant.

It is not the rich velvety blue but it is nice!

Depends on if you heart wants a rich, velvety blue. Eg I am weird about pads. I cannot live with a weak pad so I had to have that "wrong" pad colour. But if you are amenable to shades of blue (I am such a green tart, will get anything green) then you should get it!

You summed it up really well.

I was analyzing my analysis-paralysis and I think it’s because it’s my first blue sapphire? Now I don’t know if I will/should stop at one (blue sapphire) so I keep thinking it’s got to be PERFECT.

If I plan to get multiples, then this is a winner from a size perspective as I know I cannot afford a large cornflower blue sapphire. So far it sounds like quite a few PS-ers have multiples?

i second @arkieb1’s comments. i was recently looking for a “bluer” sapphire than my ER and reached out to a vendor. he was wonderful in sending multiple videos of the sapphire in different lighting. like you described with other sapphires, it goes dark indoors or in dim lighting but is gorgeously blue in the sun.

i chose my ER based on that and it’s very light blue (gary b who sold me the stone called it a denim blue). it doesn’t go dark on me and actually looks better indoors and in shaded outdoors. it was exactly what i wanted. so TLDR, if this pastel blue sings to you, go for it! can’t have too many sapphires ;)2

Can you pls share/post pics of your sapphire? Thanks so much.

Obviously not an expert, but FWIW I think it is beautiful. It doesn't strike me as pastel. Something to be said for a sapphire that doesn't black out...my sapphire does in low lighting situations and it's a bit of a bummer. The size is awesome and I adore the shape.

What color is your sapphire? Regarding the color I asked and my jeweller is very honest to say it’s pastel. We were looking at it together with his friend and we concluded it’s velvety pastel if that makes sense.

2FC10AFB-BB3B-4ED4-99A0-188B344A1A54.jpeg
This pic probably makes it look better/more blue but you get a sense of the slight velvety-ness. And size. It’s a total giant next to the 1.4? Pink sapphire lol.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a light blue but also low in saturation, hence the grayishness when light strength is low.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I love mine and I have 3 of 4 of these shades that aren't rich enough.

20190720_155703.jpg

Can you pls share other pics of your sapphires? Do you also have a cornflower and if yes did you get your cornflower before or after you got the other blues?

Trying to refine my thought process if it makes sense. Thanks for sharing your pics!

Without taking into account naming conventions, I would have called this colour 'cornflower blue' because it looks the part - not too light, not too dark & with a sligjt tinge/colour change to violet. Beautiful summer colour!

Unfortunately it’s not! I think it’s not a rich enough blue. But it’s not totally pale either. I mean I definitely like it over those really dark sapphires, even over say a royal blue (as I find royal blue too dark in certain lights).

It doesn’t strike me as a pastel stone, either.
For me, the size and the faceting make up for a ton, over what grey is there. Love that it’s not all the tiny ‘Portuguese’ type facets.
I really like the colors that I see in this.
If you don’t consider it ‘settling’ over a different stone that may be out there for you - and can love it for what it is - why not?

It’s lovely. I’ll be here for you if you tire of it in a few years!:twisted2:

Yeah back to the do I have a ‘one blue sapphire’ ring or multiple. I guess since I’m just starting out I’ve been quite good about getting a fairly diverse range of stones and colors and avoiding repeats etc.

Personally I quite like the idea of getting what I call ‘category killers’ - something so awesome that it basically kills off comparisons going forwards

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a pleasant looking stone, although grayish. Does it have a lab report? Do you like it?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
If you buy this one, are you still continuing your search for an unheated blue sapphire? If so, don't buy it.

In any case, FWIW, although I think it is fairly priced for what it is, and the color/shape is pretty, it is not a saturated stone and for that reason I'd pass.

I think so, for various reasons... but I think there is a good chance I’ll continue to look for big sapphires if I get a 3 ct cornflower blue anyway simply cos I like bigger stones.

When you say saturated stone, do you mean you expect the stone color to be stronger? Do you have any examples?

Hmm... I’ll also go and do more reading in a while.

I think you should go for it. I like it better than the one in the iorn throne style hallo in your top photos. And it is an incredible price.

That’s Spider-Man! My nickname for that stone/ring. I actually really like the color. If it was unheated I would have gotten it long ago. But it’s heated so... anyway Spidey is sold (and not to me)... so can’t go and admire it any more. :(2

I really love the color, but again you need to feel the love. I have a sapphire ring which honestly, I don’t know what the color is. I chose it out of a lot which my jeweler brought back for me from Tucson, which included some darker, richer stones because I loved the play of light within the stone. It never is dark, always alive with light, yet not overwhelming. So as an owner of a medium to lighter sapphire, I love it. There is a different feel and spirit to them which I believe is hard to compare to darker stones.

Now if you are really looking for a cornflower blue and will feel inclined to keep searching after you buy this one, I’d say pass because it’s not completely captivating to you.

Can you pls share pics of your sapphire ring? Thank you.

It’s a light blue but also low in saturation, hence the grayishness when light strength is low.

Erm so you think shouldn’t buy? :confused:

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The important question is "do you like it?" It looks like a very pretty color to me! But that is a very personal thing. Also, I disagree with the color chart you posted, with regard to what "cornflower" blue is. That is an often abused term. Cornflower blue is lighter than what most people think. The original intent of that term was to describe sapphires that looked like actual cornflowers. Do a google image search for "cornflowers," and you might be surprised by what you see. What they are calling "cornflower" I would say is closer to royal blue than actual cornflower blue.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I think it’s a pleasant looking stone, although grayish. Does it have a lab report? Do you like it?

I like it. I love the size. Lol.

No lab report but can/will get a local one and I trust my jeweller. He’s holding the stone on consignment for a few days while I decide. FWIW he also showed me a 7 ct GRS cornflower a few days back that I disliked as it was too dark. I even asked him if GRS has lax grading... and he was like o_O
:lol:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
1D319CD9-1D5F-488C-B5BC-3828D2AD0AF1.jpeg
The important question is "do you like it?" It looks like a very pretty color to me! But that is a very personal thing. Also, I disagree with the color chart you posted, with regard to what "cornflower" blue is. That is an often abused term. Cornflower blue is lighter than what most people think. The original intent of that term was to describe sapphires that looked like actual cornflowers. Do a google image search for "cornflowers," and you might be surprised by what you see. What they are calling "cornflower" I would say is closer to royal blue than actual cornflower blue.

I like it but do I feel a heart thumping I’m so in love feeling then no.

One reason for holding it is because he will have settings later this week. So I think it will help for me to put the stone in a pretty setting.

I’ve an indicolite that I was ambivalent about for example. I liked the stone but did not love it. But after setting I totally love the stone in the setting. So could be the same for this sapphire? :confused:

This indicolite
457EDFE0-CEA9-4CEF-903F-9935124286F3.jpeg
62442B18-8214-4F9F-9AB7-99ECD1D78265.jpeg

Also felt the same for a few other stones where I loved them much more after finding pretty settings for them.

Suddenly feel a bit shallow. Hmm.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok so just scanned a Lotus article and cornflowers can be light. Like this
AB46E8B9-B701-49B9-81B5-1C447ABF82F5.jpeg

But of course the trade ideal isn’t this color :lol:

And looking at the saturation chart...
A175A89D-3E6B-4646-9199-248717F149A3.jpeg
I think the stone is like medium-light to medium tone?

Hmm. Checking the votes so far, it’s like a yes from most folks.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
072D4813-B218-4EDF-B3A1-434F9606782C.png 1096DCB2-67CE-42DF-A4FC-A4A92026A39C.jpeg 728EB2F5-1A18-4970-8EC9-F7A88303E653.jpeg E9FE92D8-53C8-427B-8EC6-6087052F3744.jpeg
Sure..here it is. Ranges between these shades. Forgive but I’m not a great photographer and my pics tend to always upload looking less saturated, but I hope it the pics give an impression. In office lighting, it looks less saturated and more lavender ish, but doesn’t go dark.

Unheated Sri Lankan, around 5 carats. It has sustained a lot of abuse over the years. I’ll need to get some of the micro abrasions polished out some day. But it’s like an old friend at this point.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would really pop in rose gold.

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
some pictures to show paleness. the cut makes it sparkly but the color is definitely pale and very far from ideal (your sapphire looks more saturated in color than mine).
D0170680-C7E5-4689-ADE5-31E3F04A7A72.jpeg 980278AC-3F12-4FA8-83ED-4E200EA16424.jpeg
(indoors without any artificial lights)

few photos indoors without any lights to show the darkest it can get.
1944645F-5339-4D2F-9895-B1C098AFBC07.jpeg
FDD3C7A0-7C51-4199-AD5C-E6429E532CF9.jpeg

how it’s like indoors usually
1F4D06EF-EF32-41CB-9014-65A6AD9EE6C3.jpeg
37D6E007-E94B-48F9-B620-C8D05A849F8D.jpeg

and in indirect sunlight
BEFA6B8C-D4D3-4822-8A06-8FF05305D8A5.jpeg

you’re right - i likes the sapphire when i got it from gary but wasn’t wild about it like i expected to me. after setting it, i liked it much more. same with the grossular garnet i got from mastercut. the color wasn’t green enough for me to be chartreuse and it wasn’t a vivid yellow. after setting it in rose gold, with the white diamonds around it, it made the stone look much better.

FWIW, the picture of your stone in the setting (next to the pink) is to die for IMO. but i’m a fan of pale stones.

Attachments

• FB75DDCF-BEFB-4CF2-94FB-B4EEC3415263.jpeg
    FB75DDCF-BEFB-4CF2-94FB-B4EEC3415263.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 870F4C91-6862-4935-B44A-7943A14C6FDF.jpeg
    870F4C91-6862-4935-B44A-7943A14C6FDF.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 33

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I agree with @chrono that saturation is not the highest of the high, not least because of the silk that might make things a little worse in low light & better in direct sunlight. I like what I am seeing, whether I'd buy is another question - I think I am very monogamous about satones (one at a time) and this is not my ideal sappire colour (neither is the standard). The stone is memorable as it is - for its subtle colour to play with, beautiful shape.

2p

digressing ... I see sapphires erring violet out of blue exactly as cornflowers do - getting violetish with age & sunbleach, which is their typical look ...

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not consider the colour as pastel, more cornflower myself.

If I were to ask Jeff White to cut me one of his signature Asscher cut, this is the kind of colour I would go for, so that I could see the windmill.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results