shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring help—on a tight schedule!

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
No offense, and I have no personal vested interest in my suggestion, but why would you get something like an M color and other recommendations of similar color range when you could have an E color. The actual measurement between my suggestion and the Lang referenced above (while still beautiful) are not that much different. E color, in general, is rare... but to find in an OEC in E color is that much more so. Also, the one I suggested had a GIA grading report. The Lang is assessed via their in-house gemologist. No offense intended, I apologize in advance if I have done so.

Because it's beautiful?

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My now husband proposed with a placeholder ring, as he knew I wanted to design my own and he wanted the proposal to be a surprise. If I remember correctly, it took about two and a half months before my ring was ready to wear. Since we were just engaged, that was the period when most people were asking to see the ring and whatnot, so it was really nice that I had a pretty engagement like ring to show. And then I could decide situational if I wanted to explain it was a placeholder and I was designing my own ring or just let it pass.

I would echo the suggestion of picking something that looks engagement-y. Depending on what she wants to do with the heirloom ring, it might be a while until she's able to wear it.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's just a placeholder ring, I'd go with something cheap like CZ. WHY sink money $500 into something that is just a placeholder when it can go towards the engagement ring?

Niffler

Rough_Rock
https://erstwhilejewelry.com/products/marry-me-pendant

I love this idea. It's a pendant with the letters of "Marry Me" mixed on both sides of a gold disk. It spins and that's when you can see that it says "Marry Me" (you can see this in action in the last image at the link).

It's $780 for the pendant but the $780 cost is then put towards the purchase of one of their rings. They will set outside vintage stones and they will remake any of the vintage rings in their archive!

Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 6.38.59 PM.png

Attachments

• charm_spin_product_page_1024x1024.gif
    charm_spin_product_page_1024x1024.gif
    618.1 KB · Views: 18

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can he simply propose with a cheap CZ placeholder ring and let her chose what she wants? If she really wants to repurpose her mother’s wedding ring, which must be so special to her, she might not even want another ring, but to put the money toward an elaborate setting, band, etc. Many women would only chose to have 1 ring and she might be really conflicted with 2. This is what I would pick: placeholder ring
$3K is a lot of money to be gambled on something that she might not even like. I personally vote against picking an engagement ring in a week’s time without even knowing the fiancé’s wants.

Everything that @SimoneDi wrote, expresses my exact thoughts on the matter! First of all, i believe that since she is seriously considering using her mother's ring (either as is or by having the stones reset), her fiance shouldn't spend any substantial money on another piece, for the reasons that Simone very well explained.
The placeholder ring is a perfect idea and he should seriously consider it. When a girl gets engaged, everybody expects to see a ring and she, herself, wants to look engaged! I'm afraid that the total absence of a ring would deprive her of a huge part of the engagement excitement. If he gets her a placeholder ring, she would have something sparkly on her finger to make her look and feel engaged and it would be so much fun to show everybody and then tell them the story about her mom's ring!
Also, since many of us like to have something much cheaper to wear while we are travelling or going to the gym, etc, i believe that even when she finally gets her mom's ring, she could still use the placeholder ring on such occasions.
This idea costs next to nothing and serves all the purposes. Very well said Simone Di !
And @Erinsews, huge congrats on your brother's upcoming engagement! Please come back with updates on the story! Yay, super exciting:appl:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought OP wasn’t sure GF wanted to wear the family ring. I kinda liked the first few suggestions of a stone in simple solitaire bc they seemed like a perfect pendant size if she prefers the other ring; but a pendant is something she could also wear 24/7 forever. I don’t see it as $ wasted in any shape or form. Just my 2 cents.

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your continued suggestions, everyone. My brother has decided on a unique non-engagement ring that’s just her style. I think this is a great idea, as she can wear it while they decide on her engagement ring and then later on another finger. She’s a very private person and will definitely prefer something sentimental that’s her style to something sparkly she can show off. I’m so excited for them!!

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
I thought OP wasn’t sure GF wanted to wear the family ring. I kinda liked the first few suggestions of a stone in simple solitaire bc they seemed like a perfect pendant size if she prefers the other ring; but a pendant is something she could also wear 24/7 forever. I don’t see it as $ wasted in any shape or form. Just my 2 cents.
I really liked that idea too, and it’s definitely what I would prefer for myself—but I love diamonds! But he’s decided to save all funds for either a reset of her mother’s ring (if that’s what she wants) or an engagement ring that she has some input in.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your continued suggestions, everyone. My brother has decided on a unique non-engagement ring that’s just her style. I think this is a great idea, as she can wear it while they decide on her engagement ring and then later on another finger. She’s a very private person and will definitely prefer something sentimental that’s her style to something sparkly she can show off. I’m so excited for them!!
That’s great! Can we all see the unique non-engagement-y ring that he has in mind?

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Did someone already suggest a stacking band that could be worn as a wedding band option down the road?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On Saturday he said a ring has been purchased....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results