shape
carat
color
clarity

New Article by Brian Pollard Compares ASET and Ideal-Scope

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
How do you scan a diamond, anyway? I have laser scanners and commercial-grade photogrammetry software, but even glass gives that stuff difficulties.
optical scanners google sarin scanner

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree it would cost more than the current ASET, but maybe not cost prohibitive for everyone.

When you say "calibrating", what do you mean? I'd think matching the angles and color proportions of the interior cone to those of the current ASET's interior cone would be easy. The engineering would just be from the interior wall of the cone out, where the lighting would be housed. A thick enough colored section of material with uniform diode placements to illuminate it doesn't seem difficult in theory.

I just wonder whether such a device would still give us the various color gradients of our individuals colors or whether the colors reflected would be more standard, red, blue, green. Plus, what would happen if you turned off the Red and left on the Green, or vice versa; I just think those results would be interesting to see and then explain, but maybe all that stuff has already been worked out some other way.
@Venzen007 ,
You seem exceptionally curious and capable. Have you read the foundation materials behind the AGS PGS? If not, you may find some answers/insights here:
https://www.whiteflash.com/articlef...cintillation-in-Round-Brilliant-Gemstones.pdf
https://www.whiteflash.com/ags-cut-grade-research.pdf

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I cannot see an additional benefit to your proposed model.

If the goal is to develop a higher resolution 'ASET' you'd need many more segments that are lit up independently.

Lighting simultaneously could work if you could light the diamond in a controlled fashion with a different on/off sequence from several directions. A Fourier analysis could be done to map the light rays (and reconstruct a 3D model) as an arguably cheaper form of as n optical scanner.

I always wondered what would happen if a diamond was scanned by an optical coherence tomography machine, an optical scanner commonly used in Opthalmology. The resolution is mindboggling.

Last edited:

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
I think maybe I'd just be interested in how the result would be different rather than "better" in some way, for my curiosity's benefit. I've got an idea/experiment I think I can do pretty easily to approximate it. Doubt I'll get to do it until Monday, though, since the stone I bought is still a surprise and it and all my stuff is at the office. :/

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The whole point of not having the ASET lit up and having a strong back lighting, is to put the diamond through a ''worse case scenario" to emphasise leakage in a highly repeatable fashion to compare diamonds. The diamond being able to reflect the blue,red, green despite not being directly illuminated while managing to not let the back light bleed through is testimony to its cut and optics.

Having stronger lights hitting from the front will just result in better looking ASETs where you may mask some leakage that would have otherwise be apparent.

If you were very committed and wanted to isolate the different colours, you could put some black tape over the red for example.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can come up with a DIY self-lit ASET, you are the boss!
My paper ASET (see the avatar) can be used in a similar fashion, with intense lighting hitting the ASET from outside, with no backlighting.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
@gm89uk , I understand what the backlight does for the image. My thought wasn't to replace the current device with a better device for the same purpose, but to imagine something with which I could experiment to see how adjusting the intensity of the different colored lights or turning one off all together might affect the resulting ASET image. Again, for my curiosity and personal understanding of the subject.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@gm89uk , I understand what the backlight does for the image. My thought wasn't to replace the current device with a better device for the same purpose, but to imagine something with which I could experiment to see how adjusting the intensity of the different colored lights or turning one off all together might affect the resulting ASET image. Again, for my curiosity and personal understanding of the subject.
Buy a diamcalc license and do it virtually on an a huge variety of proportions cuts and materials.
https://ideal-scope.com/product/diamcalc-3-3-e290/

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
These are all done in diamcalc
rbasetnored.jpg ficmodaset.jpg extreme-example.jpg realdiamondscan.jpg noRedAset.jpg octaviaModAset.jpg octaviaManyLights.jpg _38946.jpg red-nored-comp.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can add as many zones as you want or remove them and change the colors.
settings1.jpg

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
I see there's a significant price difference between 3.3 and 3.3 pro? No doubt the Pro edition is way overkill for someone like me, but I'm sure the regular edition has enough fuctionality to be worth its price?

I took a look at the price of the Helium Polish scanner and unless I change professions, it's cost prohibitive. Heh.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see there's a significant price difference between 3.3 and 3.3 pro? No doubt the Pro edition is way overkill for someone like me, but I'm sure the regular edition has enough fuctionality to be worth its price?

I took a look at the price of the Helium Polish scanner and unless I change professions, it's cost prohibitive. Heh.
lol yea they are pricey.
Unless your doing very deep research or designing for production you dont need the pro version.
The difference is the pro version enables automation of creating angle and % variations and calculations of designs.
I have the pro version but very rarely use the pro features.

sambanh

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

could you please let me know if these stones are ideal based on their ASET images ? Trying to learn, Thank you so much !
20230328_143413.jpg

Attachments

• 20230328_135751.jpg
    20230328_135751.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 15

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photos have to be taken straight on @sambanh (not at an angle). The first one looks like it is at an angle and if the second
one is straight on then its not a well-cut stone (or something else is wrong).

Please provide a copy of the reports for the stones

sambanh

Rough_Rock
The photos have to be taken straight on @sambanh (not at an angle). The first one looks like it is at an angle and if the second
one is straight on then its not a well-cut stone (or something else is wrong).

Please provide a copy of the reports for the stones

@tyty333 thank you for your reply. I tried to get better photos of them - please see attached - hope they are better

I have attached the stone specifications I got, please let me know what you think !
20230326_182334.jpg
20230326_182344.jpg

Attachments

• 20230328_143437.jpg
    20230328_143437.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230328_135253.jpg
    20230328_135253.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 17

sambanh

Rough_Rock
@tyty333 the last 2 new ASET images are of the 1st stone. The first stone is the FL stone and the 2nd stone is IF stone

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The first image the diamond would fail HCA.
There is visible leakage around the outer edges of the table.
Also with such a deep pavilion angle the dead center may not have a lot of scintillation.
The second stone - the ASET is far too close - unless the stone is heavily painted and it would be good to see a fresh photo.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 the last 2 new ASET images are of the 1st stone. The first stone is the FL stone and the 2nd stone is IF stone

Please start a new thread for help. I dont think either stone is well cut unfortunately

sambanh

Rough_Rock
The first image the diamond would fail HCA.
There is visible leakage around the outer edges of the table.
Also with such a deep pavilion angle the dead center may not have a lot of scintillation.
The second stone - the ASET is far too close - unless the stone is heavily painted and it would be good to see a fresh photo.

@Garry H (Cut Nut) Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate it

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results