shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring help—on a tight schedule!

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
My brother is planning to propose to his longtime girlfriend the weekend of 7/27 (yay!!!). Her mother passed away a few years ago, and he believes that his girlfriend will want to wear her mother’s old wedding ring, either as it is or with the stones repurposed into a new ring. The problem is that he cannot talk to his girlfriend’s father before the proposal (due to family dynamics, he knows that his girlfriend would not want him to) in order to get the ring. He also very much wants to propose with something from *him*. I’ve suggested he propose with a simple solitaire, and if she decides to wear her mother’s ring, they can reset it into a pendant. Or if she wants to keep it as her ring, they can put it in an Art Deco-inspired setting that he thinks she’ll love. He doesn’t know anything about diamonds, but thinks she would like a more antique look—I suggested an OEC and he was interested in that.
So! Any leads on an antique diamond in a simple solitaire setting FAST? Budget is MAX $3000. Thank you in advance for any help!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
You can check out Jewels by Grace, Love Affair diamonds and Old World Diamonds.

A few ideas in budget:

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/0-86ct-old-european-cut-gia-k-si2

A simple solitaire mount from Stuller or elsewhere would be economical. Grace could help with that.

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-09ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-m-vs2

A little warmer, but larger. At top of budget but a very plain solitaire should not be too much.

I would just contact Adam of OWD directly, share the budget and see what he can do. He has a very large inventory. He can also get in a stock setting or have something made.

There is also Parks Fine Group, but Alex is a dealer and not what I would consider a traditional jeweler. I think you have to know more what you want with him and maybe it's not the best for a first time buyer. However, he does have great pricing.

Also, Diamonds by Lauren has a few old cuts. This one is pretty to my eye, but it's not that perfect flower petals look. David makes great settings or could get in Stuller too. With wire payment, you'd get a discount.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/104ct-n-si2-old-european-diamond-r5849

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
How about this:
E color in platinum mounting
https://antiqueengagementrings.com/replica-art-nouveau-engagement-ring/
This is a fabulous vendor of whom I've purchased many pieces from and he will make sure it is sized and out to you overnight.
I love how it is set.
3112-15D__12170.1557164579.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I didn't pay enough attention but were does he ask for antique rings specifically?

If she is getting an antique ring anyway from her family I would get her a super ideal cut diamond. Which are in my opinion a great option for a pendant/earrings later on.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I didn't pay enough attention but were does he ask for antique rings specifically?

If she is getting an antique ring anyway from her family I would get her a super ideal cut diamond. Which are in my opinion a great option for a pendant/earrings later on.

It was noted they were looking for an oec in a simple solitaire in the original post.

But, I would say that if interest is expressed in an oec a super ideal may not appeal. I personally- and no offense to anyone- would not love to receive a super ideal. I don't know that the groups of interest cross that much.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Specifically requested at the end of the post:

...He doesn’t know anything about diamonds, but thinks she would like a more antique look—I suggested an OEC and he was interested in that.
So! Any leads on an antique diamond in a simple solitaire setting FAST? Budget is MAX $3000. Thank you in advance for any help!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
No offense, and I have no personal vested interest in my suggestion, but why would you get something like an M color and other recommendations of similar color range when you could have an E color. The actual measurement between my suggestion and the Lang referenced above (while still beautiful) are not that much different. E color, in general, is rare... but to find in an OEC in E color is that much more so. Also, the one I suggested had a GIA grading report. The Lang is assessed via their in-house gemologist. No offense intended, I apologize in advance if I have done so.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
... but (he) thinks she would like a more antique look—I suggested an OEC and he was interested in that

This is concerning to me, as there is a lot of room here for misinterpretations, between her and him, between him and you, etc. Since these old cuts, at least to me, are significantly different in appearance than the modern cuts, she could wind up with a cut of diamond she doesn't even know exists, and it be very different than what she expects.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense, and I have no personal vested interest in my suggestion, but why would you get something like an M color and other recommendations of similar color range when you could have an E color. The actual measurement between my suggestion and the Lang referenced above (while still beautiful) are not that much different. E color, in general, is rare... but to find in an OEC in E color is that much more so. Also, the one I suggested had a GIA grading report. The Lang is assessed via their in-house gemologist. No offense intended, I apologize in advance if I have done so.
Because not everyone has the same taste.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can he simply propose with a cheap CZ placeholder ring and let her chose what she wants? If she really wants to repurpose her mother’s wedding ring, which must be so special to her, she might not even want another ring, but to put the money toward an elaborate setting, band, etc. Many women would only chose to have 1 ring and she might be really conflicted with 2. This is what I would pick: placeholder ring
$3K is a lot of money to be gambled on something that she might not even like. I personally vote against picking an engagement ring in a week’s time without even knowing the fiancé’s wants.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Besides the fact that your suggestion is in fact $25 over the "MAX $3,000" budget, the diamond in your suggested ring has a very large table at 66% and a very low crown at 11%, so while spready, it does not have the classic "small table, high crown" proportions of an OEC. Also, the OP/GF may prefer one metal over another, or a low profile setting over a higher profile, etc. Since the OP wanted options, I presented one.

Last edited:

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Re-reading the OP, it doesn't sound to me like it matters what he proposed with, if the intention is to be a placeholder. Buying something for 3,000 doesn't suggest a placeholder, however. This could confuse the situation for her and make her feel like she should keep the one he proposed with despite her maybe wanting her mother's ring or its stones (to reset).

I'd suggest considering something that is super cheap, almost novelty, for the proposal. After all, the proposal itself is the big thing. He could simply mention he'd like to see how she felt about her wearing or redesigning the material in her mother's ring. If she passes on that, then they can shop for a ring together (something I'd think would be fun). She gets exactly what she wants. Everyone's happy.

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
I actually just spoke with my brother, and he’s had the same thought as many of you: He’s planning on buying a different piece of jewelry as a sort of placeholder and then working out the details of her engagement ring together. I think this is very wise. Thank you all for your suggestions—I may be back in a bit for more advice!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually just spoke with my brother, and he’s had the same thought as many of you: He’s planning on buying a different piece of jewelry as a sort of placeholder and then working out the details of her engagement ring together. I think this is very wise. Thank you all for your suggestions—I may be back in a bit for more advice!
I like that idea! I vote for something classic like a 3/4 eternity band 5-stone, or other diamond band. there are lots of gorgeous ones for much under 3k!

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
These are gorgeous! I think he’s looking for something significantly cheaper right now (like $500 or less) so that he can put as much as possible toward the ring she decides she wants, whether that’s something new to her or a reset of her mother’s ring.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
I like finding a common pebble where they first met or had their first date and setting that as a placeholder. =P

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are gorgeous! I think he’s looking for something significantly cheaper right now (like $500 or less) so that he can put as much as possible toward the ring she decides she wants, whether that’s something new to her or a reset of her mother’s ring.
Totally understand. I think that's a great idea! Smart to save for whatever she ends up wanting. Plain bands can be found easily for under 500!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd still recommend going with an "engagement-y" ring she can wear now because who knows if and when another engagement ring may or may not be chosen/made/decided upon and (if a new or remade ring) how long that will take ...

This gorgeous JbG ($1,400) has a definite and timeless presence and can easily be resized to another finger should the couple decide to do a different ER in the future - https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/0-40ct-carre-cut-rose-gold-band

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results