shape
carat
color
clarity

General Cost of Setting This Stone?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I wish they would say how many grams the setting is. You don’t wanna be paying nearly $500 for 14 karat gold if it’s only going to be 2 or 3 grams. This is not a custom piece, but mass produced.

@T L Thanks for your insight. Yes, the catalog says only 2.96 grams. Good catch!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@D&T I’ll contact Stuller and let you and @T L know if they get back to me about setting outside stones!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@MollyMalone Thank you for the sensible advice. Yes, this is hopefully the beginning to many colorful projects.

I definitely plan on visiting a few jewelers, but it was so helpful just to get a good sense from folks here on where to even start in terms of ballpark prices.

Thank you everyone!!!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I hope it's more on the $50 side, but depending on how deep the stone is, it may go up to $150. No more than $150 though.

I was quoted "$200-$250" to set (a diamond), that's right just to set, and shshshsh, Im not suppose to tell anybody cause they are doing me a favor. :lol:

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was quoted "$200-$250" to set (a diamond), that's right just to set, and shshshsh, Im not suppose to tell anybody cause they are doing me a favor. :lol:
Crazy!!! I wouldn’t pay more than $50 to prong set a diamond!!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Crazy!!! I wouldn’t pay more than $50 to prong set a diamond!!

Hi TL!!
Thanks! I had suspected that quote was ridiculous to prong set a diamond!! Mind you, it's a sales representative for a vendor that is quite well regarded in the pricescope community.
But the clincher was the "shshshshsh, don't tell anybody about it cause we are doing you a favor..."
:roll

elizat

Ideal_Rock
You can see Stuller setting prices via a link from Love Affair Diamonds:
https://loveaffairdiamonds.jewelers...nSource=3C_Recs_NonRichRely#/mounting-options

You could also inquire with her about setting fees.

Alternately, if you prefer not to ship your gem, then try Nick Engel. I've never had them set anything, but they did a good job resizing a ring for me at a reasonable price. I also got a quote from them a while back regarding a brooch conversion and the cost was about the same as David Klass, another jeweler known for his very reasonable prices.

Thanks for mentioning Nick Engel. I have a sapphire I need to set and a setting I ordered. I think I will ask them to set it and size the setting. It's preloved, so it needs sized and I will probably want to get it polished.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results