shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find the perfect "raspberry"...

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should be more precise in asking the question you want answered.
Asking ‘how is it’? Is subjective to many details of the stone. Especially asking price.
Acceptance of the color shift (and undertones and saturation) is where it gets varied of person to person’s personal preference of the reply content. ‘ Perfect’ isn’t universal.
It’s ultimately directly related to what you are willing to compromise on your initial want list, the budget, and the $14000 ruby you originally linked to describe the color you are looking for.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Agree that the color is very nice. The description is a little fluffy and borderline deceptive - heating is not part of the cutting process but a technique to enhance an otherwise ugly stone. But anyway...

The “internal crystals” look more like internal fractures to me. Totally normal in ruby and I don’t think you will notice them without a loupe. I would, however, ask if they are surface-reaching - that would be a bad thing and could affect durability (and explain the price, which for this color is low).

The spread is quite nice for the weight and there is no obvious window, probably also thanks to the fractures.

Price/quality seems good because of the color, which I say again is really nice.
The presence or absence of a window is not affected by this type of inclusion. The only type of inclusion that affects windows is silk, or more technically, rutile needles. Frankly, I would say that this is just nicely cut, and the inclusions shown have no bearing on that.

The heating is such a shame, because I think DBL sources the rough from a cutter who doesn't use lubricant. High pressure and friction results in high temperature, and it's plausible that around the edges and surfaces that are cut, an unheated rough can turn into a heated gem during the cutting process. I just think it's a shame DBL uses a cutter who turns unheated stones into heated ones, lol. Remember that heated rubies are priced 50% less of unheated ones, so the low price is due to heating, I bet. I don't see any structural fissures, but I'm sure DBL would let you inspect and loupe the stone within a return period.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
The presence or absence of a window is not affected by this type of inclusion. The only type of inclusion that affects windows is silk, or more technically, rutile needles. Frankly, I would say that this is just nicely cut, and the inclusions shown have no bearing on that.

The heating is such a shame, because I think DBL sources the rough from a cutter who doesn't use lubricant. High pressure and friction results in high temperature, and it's plausible that around the edges and surfaces that are cut, an unheated rough can turn into a heated gem during the cutting process. I just think it's a shame DBL uses a cutter who turns unheated stones into heated ones, lol. Remember that heated rubies are priced 50% less of unheated ones, so the low price is due to heating, I bet. I don't see any structural fissures, but I'm sure DBL would let you inspect and loupe the stone within a return period.

How can cutting result in heating? I get the friction and all that, but who in their right mind would risk losing value by cooking a stone through cutting? Wow!

L

lucky_in_love

I'm going to be upfront right now. You are not going to get a vivid 3 carat untreated ruby for $8K.

We didn’t say we wanted a ruby, just that we wanted a red stone”. We know full well we’re not going to find that unicorn for $8K. ;)2

L

lucky_in_love

I think you should be more precise in asking the question you want answered.
Asking ‘how is it’? Is subjective to many details of the stone. Especially asking price.
Acceptance of the color shift (and undertones and saturation) is where it gets varied of person to person’s personal preference of the reply content. ‘ Perfect’ isn’t universal.
It’s ultimately directly related to what you are willing to compromise on your initial want list, the budget, and the $14000 ruby you originally linked to describe the color you are looking for.

That ruby was simply an example of the colour she likes. Can we afford the stone? Yes. But we don’t want to spend that much money on a ring. As for asking questions, we know NOTHING about coloured stones so that’s why we turned to this forum. Every time someone replies we learn something new. If our “help me” post is mission impossible than perhaps we should just move on?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you will accept an orangish red spinel 3 ct spinel for $8k thereabouts? If so, then our responses will be different as to the perceived value of what you’re looking for. I was under the impression that you want a highly saturated pure red.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant that strictly in the sense of posting a photo/video with no indication of size, price, treatment, or variety.
Plus - you are getting replies that are leaning towards the ideal specimen of a variety. No leeway for flaws. We don’t know where you’d compromise.
Someone saying it’s not saturated enough, has a inclusion, is heated, leans toward orange - is geared towards their boundaries of what’s acceptable.
Maybe your getting dissuaded from a stone that’s totally appropriate for you/your wants/ your budget.
That ruby was simply an example of the colour she likes. Can we afford the stone? Yes. But we don’t want to spend that much money on a ring. As for asking questions, we know NOTHING about coloured stones so that’s why we turned to this forum. Every time someone replies we learn something new. If our “help me” post is mission impossible than perhaps we should just move on?

voce

Ideal_Rock
At this point, if you have learned nothing from our responses and still feel as confused as ever, you should contact a trusted vendor and have them source you something appropriate. If you're paying over $1k, whether spinel or ruby, the independent lab report should be available, and it should say unenhanced/unheated or Heat Only, none of this clarity enhanced or diffusion detected crap that's not worth thousands.

My advice, is that if the heavier treatments don't bother you, get a treated spinel or ruby, just don't pay $$$$ for it. Would you be terribly disappointed with synthetic? Synthetic rubies can be perfect and the most durable bang for your buck.

If you want the ring to hold value and last 100 years, you should be looking for unheated or heat only, no diffusion and no clarity enhancements.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
4156C434-DDB4-46FF-BF5E-4832BC445321.png I think I have 270D3ED4-75A4-467D-9AEF-A7DC01409AC9.png 54687D7A-18B8-496A-B51B-1E0A09570A68.png found something she may like - have a look at Era Gems natural 2.24 carat ruby ring with diamond side stones. There is a report and it is GIA. I love rubies - don’t be discouraged you will find something! Good luck!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don’t you opt for better color in a smaller gem then? I much rather have a one carat gem of fine color than a much larger gem that looks brownish.

L

lucky_in_love

4156C434-DDB4-46FF-BF5E-4832BC445321.png I think I have 270D3ED4-75A4-467D-9AEF-A7DC01409AC9.png 54687D7A-18B8-496A-B51B-1E0A09570A68.png found something she may like - have a look at Era Gems natural 2.24 carat ruby ring with diamond side stones. There is a report and it is GIA. I love rubies - don’t be discouraged you will find something! Good luck!

This is beautiful! ❤️

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would having someone look at the fall Hong Kong show potentially be an option?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly dislike the one from era gems. I think it will be very dark in person, and I typically find their products overpriced for the quality.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I strongly dislike the one from era gems. I think it will be very dark in person, and I typically find their products overpriced for the quality.
I noticed the one from Era Gems is a heated Thai ruby, in which case I suspect more orange/brown in low lighting, and no fluorescence. However, it could be still worth a shot with a 60-day return policy.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed the one from Era Gems is a heated Thai ruby, in which case I suspect more orange/brown in low lighting, and no fluorescence. However, it could be still worth a shot with a 60-day return policy.
I guess if there's no restocking fee or anything like that it might be worth a look.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice! No price... doubt I can afford it?

It is quite included in magnified images, this could help with the price. Asking is free anyway, and there is always room for negotiation - the turnover of expensive colored gemstones is pretty low and you might find out that the vendor needs cash. This one really has a nice and lively color!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
BDFC464F-8677-4CD3-88EB-F8E6EB6EC491.jpeg

This is a magnified photo on the GIA report.
Color aside, which is always atrocious on such reports, the stone is highly fractured and it has a window. And I also think it will not fluoresce

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BDFC464F-8677-4CD3-88EB-F8E6EB6EC491.jpeg

This is a magnified photo on the GIA report.
Color aside, which is always atrocious on such reports, the stone is highly fractured and it has a window. And I also think it will not fluoresce
It looks to have surface reaching fractures, microchips and facet abrasions, and that’s only what I can see on some of the reflected crown facets. Eeeeek!

L

lucky_in_love

It looks to have surface reaching fractures, microchips and facet abrasions, and that’s only what I can see on some of the reflected crown facets. Eeeeek!

OMG I would have never known this! I’m so happy I found this forum - you guys are amazing!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
TBD - Healed fractures in ruby...

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
OMG I would have never known this! I’m so happy I found this forum - you guys are amazing!

Fine rubies are extremely rare and expensive. A 2ct. ruby with only heat as treatment and priced at 9k incl. setting is not really expensive, so something else has to give.

I know you said you are not looking for a ruby, but the combination of color and saturation you describe, which is vivid red with a dash of purple and pink, is often found in good rubies. Perhaps try to stay below 2ct? Truth is that the face-up dimension of the stone will not suffer too much - depth affects weight disproportionally, which is why some deeply cut stones are heavy but don’t look bigger that lighter stones.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
... you said you are not looking for a ruby, but the combination of color and saturation you describe, which is vivid red with a dash of purple and pink ...

Classic: WWW

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lucky_in_love
This is strictly for educational purposes only since garnet was mentioned earlier. ( I wouldn’t want a garnet ring for everyday wear)

Vendor listing
92FB7F98-4145-405D-8711-2DAFB044D271.jpeg
What I saw
15AE76D1-3540-436D-BB37-00E415EA371C.jpeg
What my camera saw, but never to the naked eye
61626222-D3D6-4B97-8D84-C24C387D96CF.jpeg

Also
Would you be open to a vintage ruby three stone ring?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lucky_in_love
This is strictly for educational purposes only since garnet was mentioned earlier. ( I wouldn’t want a garnet ring for everyday wear)

Vendor listing
92FB7F98-4145-405D-8711-2DAFB044D271.jpeg
What I saw
15AE76D1-3540-436D-BB37-00E415EA371C.jpeg
What my camera saw, but never to the naked eye
61626222-D3D6-4B97-8D84-C24C387D96CF.jpeg

Also
Would you be open to a vintage ruby three stone ring?
To be fair, that's an example of a vendor who is known for being dishonest with images.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is true!
But there’s many out there just like his listings.
This was more so of what I experienced as a large red family garnet, as it was mentioned as a possibility upthread.
The real-performer-in-regular-lighting -really-red-garnet is more scarce then hens teeth.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results