shape
carat
color
clarity

PSers that Quilt

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do that too. I have huge amounts of samples I have created over the years. Some I look back on, and think they were pretty good, and others make me cringe. I have always quilted things myself. A few pieces I hand quilted but mostly FMQ. My harp size increased greatly with my last machine, and the 13x20 of the new long arm will be my largest. I recently purchased a book by Jenny Lyons on FMQ. She suggests a 21 day plan of quilting 20 minutes a day and making yourself a sample book with different threads. I am going to do that. I’m hurrying to get my projects completed before my new baby comes. I have always marked my samples with thread weight and needle size and tension setting but they were kind of jumbled odd size pieces. The new plan is to buy solid color fabric and cut 14 x 14 squares. I think the uniformity will help in creating sample I can actually use. The dealer that had the Miyabi used Martelli paddle grippers and I did buy a set of those. I will try them instead of gloves, which I find a bit annoying to have to take on and off. I am so excited to get started!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m hurrying to get my projects completed before my new baby comes.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I think you have a great plan to quilt daily. I try to get some free motion work done every day or so. I like to find something and then try to make that pattern. I've copied details from buildings, patterns off chairs and the pattern on a co-workers shirt (she was not offended when I asked if I could sketch it LOL). I watch a lot of long-armers, but it takes a bit of creativity to change the pattern on a sit-down. For a long-armer, they work in long rows. With sitdown, you can do a lot more in every direction.

I've mostly turned my samples into cat beds, pot holders, table runners, you name it. I have a hard time holding on to things that are simply in-process. I need to finish them and give them a purpose. I'm weird...I know. I actually did a lot of quilting during infancy and a bit after. I had to take a break during the toddler years except when my hubby could manage him. He's very mischevious (son, not DH!). At 1.5, he figures out how to turn on my sewing machine. Eek. So, DK wired an extra cutoff switch into every machine. They are also in powerstrips. So, you had to turn on 3 things to turn them on. The serger was put WAY up high after he messed with my tension setting. Now, he's awesome and just want to learn the machines. He sews on my Necchi and quilts on my Juki. This was his first free motion sample. He really wanted to try and out-run the regulator...that...he did.

20181030_203408.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander Lol, not pregnant. New baby is a Bernina Q20:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
New 'baby' comes in 2 1/2 weeks
Lord have mercy, I would much rather be 59 that pregnant........

I have been quilting since the late 80's and I did have little kids then. My 'kids' are 36, 33, 31, 29,22.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander Lol, not pregnant. New baby is a Bernina Q20:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
New 'baby' comes in 2 1/2 weeks
Lord have mercy, I would much rather be 59 that pregnant........

I have been quilting since the late 80's and I did have little kids then. My 'kids' are 36, 33, 31, 29,22.
OMG....that is hilarious! I'm with you. A new machine is the only kind of baby I want at this point. One 9 year old is all I can handle.

Can't wait to see your new Bernina Q20!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys! This is not my quilt but I want to post here to brag on my mama. She will be 77 this November and she's been quilting for I don't know how many decades...as long as I can remember. She's been president of her local Quilt Guild (when I was in high school) and just generally kept up with her hobby and given private lessons for many years. The past few summers she has entered some of her work in the county 4-H Fair and always scores a blue ribbon. This year she really won big...1st Place for Applique and Best in Show!

I'm posting pics from her Facebook as I wasn't able to attend and take my own. One includes my dad who has been a Quilt Husband for a long time (they just marked their 50th wedding anniversary last month).

Her entry is titled "Monet, Matisse, and Me."

Momquilt19.jpg Dad4hfair19.jpg monetmatisseandme19.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys! This is not my quilt but I want to post here to brag on my mama. She will be 77 this November and she's been quilting for I don't know how many decades...as long as I can remember. She's been president of her local Quilt Guild (when I was in high school) and just generally kept up with her hobby and given private lessons for many years. The past few summers she has entered some of her work in the county 4-H Fair and always scores a blue ribbon. This year she really won big...1st Place for Applique and Best in Show!

I'm posting pics from her Facebook as I wasn't able to attend and take my own. One includes my dad who has been a Quilt Husband for a long time (they just marked their 50th wedding anniversary last month).

Her entry is titled "Monet, Matisse, and Me."

Momquilt19.jpg Dad4hfair19.jpg monetmatisseandme19.jpg

Wow, that's a gorgeous quilt, love it!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally finished my son's wedding quilt. It's machine pieced but hand quilted and took me forever, lol.

Wedding Quilt1.jpg Wedding Quilt2.jpg Wedding Quilt3.jpg Wedding Quilt4.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was lucky enough to get a new embroidery machine this summer so that I can do edge to edge machine quilting. My son's wedding quilt killed my back and hands while hand quilting. I'm just way too old I guess, lol. Here is my first attempt at machine, edge to edge quilting. It was fun and came out better than I expected for a first attempt.

Tumbler1.jpg Tumbler2.jpg Tumbler3.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations to your mom, Monarch. Gorgeous quilt! I just got back from the Sisters, Oregon quilt show. While there I decided that I want to start entering shows. I would love to have some ribbons, even if they are just from entering.

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous mama and her work! I hope she has many for ribbons in her future.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results