shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeffrey Epstein

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t disagree but the FL crime he pled to was procurement of a woman under 18 for prostitution. Discussion is in this transcript:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6197537-Berman-Epstein-7-15-19.html

Oh I get that, and the woman he pleaded guilty to procuring for prostitution may have been under 18, but still of legal age?

This is what was bothering me:

2) the government had a damn difficult case. The girls were in fact paid, so yes, minors, but also prostitutes. And one victim expressed to the government that she hoped nothing bad happened to “awesome” Mr Epstein. Now don’t get me wrong. I think abuse victims often try to claim more agency over their choices and refuse to think of themselves as victims even when they clearly are. But those facts, the exchange of money and the lack of a consistent story among victims, made this a difficult criminal case.

I'm guessing you meant the minors that were under 18 but of age to consent to sex? (I haven't read your link yet, but it would seem to me that it wouldn't have been so difficult to convict for sex trafficking rather than prostitution, had the girls been below the age of consent, regardless of whether they were paid or not?) I may be missing something in all this - were the girls all unwilling to testify?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh I get that, and the woman he pleaded guilty to procuring for prostitution may have been under 18, but still of legal age?

This is what was bothering me:

I'm guessing you meant the minors that were under 18 but of age to consent to sex? (I haven't read your link yet, but it would seem to me that it wouldn't have been so difficult to convict for sex trafficking rather than prostitution, had the girls been below the age of consent, regardless of whether they were paid or not?) I may be missing something in all this - were the girls all unwilling to testify?
I think what you’re saying is, the girls were underage, and so it shouldn’t matter anymore whatever facts there were. What I was countering with is, if a prosecutor wanted to bring the most severe charges in the 2008 case (forcible rape of a minor I think would be the one) the prosecutor would need a survivor who had been raped, wanted to testify, was a good enough witness to put on the stand, and had never, say, texted a friend something that tended to contradict that it was rape (common reaction of rape victims is to minimize after the fact and deny being a victim)... there is more to being a good witness in this case than just being underage. On top of that, I understand that today we know there is evidence that Epstein was both threatening and bribing witnesses, so even a really dedicated prosecutor would have faced a frustrating situation of witnesses being willing to talk one day and clamming up the next.

As for the charges he actually did time for, any plea deal, the defendant is going to plea to something less than the worst possible charge. In this case Epstein pled to prostituting minors, not necessarily because there weren’t allegations that the survivors were under the age of consent, but because that’s the nature of plea deals.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm. I don't think I said it shouldn't matter what facts there were. But even if they couldn't prove forcible rape because the girls didn't call it that, it certainly is statutory rape - provided they could find a good credible victim. Intimidation of victims/witnesses could definitely prevent that. And of course the plea deal is a huge problem because it was kept secret from the victims.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this just now and thought it was relevant:

66443242_10157492950492090_1094325609384902656_n.jpg

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could not possible agree with this more. There is no such f*cking thing as an "underage prostitute". It makes me so angry to hear that. Plus "sex with underage girls". Screw that, it's called rape

I emailed a reporter from The Guardian once regarding his choice of words. He used "non-consensual sex" with regards to Weinstein, and I asked why he did not use "rape." His excuse was that Weinstein's lawyer used "non-consensual sex." :x2

I replied politely asking him not to repeat that kind of nonsense and downplay the seriousness of Weinstein's actions. I got no response.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I emailed a reporter from The Guardian once regarding his choice of words. He used "non-consensual sex" with regards to Weinstein, and I asked why he did not use "rape." His excuse was that Weinstein's lawyer used "non-consensual sex." :x2

I replied politely asking him not to repeat that kind of nonsense and downplay the seriousness of Weinstein's actions. I got no response.

You got no response because you didn't publicly shame him on social media! Next time, use an author's Twitter handle and put them on blast.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You got no response because you didn't publicly shame him on social media! Next time, use an author's Twitter handle and put them on blast.

I’ll do that if I get pissed enough!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He got denied bail.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure he said to himself, “I had a good run!” :angryfire:

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bye, Felicia:wavey:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
F***ing coward but at least we don't have to pay for him and maybe now that he is gone his victims will find some peace.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saved a ton of money. Good. Though now we won't find out the scumbags he serviced.

My exact thoughts. All the scumbags who will get off the hook. Makes my stomach turn.

This was my thought too. I hope they don't just sweep it all under the rug since Epstein is gone. I am sure lots of scumbags are breathing easier today and that makes me sick.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be interested to know how he committed suicide while on suicide watch. Generally the person doesn't have anything in the cell with which to do it, no excessive clothing, utensils, etc. And a staff member is there 24/7. It will be interesting to hear how it happened. This guy would/should have been watched like a hawk.

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wasn't he disgusting?! Makes me really, really cross when this happens & they avoid the repercussions & justice. And it also smacks of complete guilt. A guy with this much money & these kind of contacts could wiggle his way out of *most* of the sh!t before it stuck. So I say guilty as hell........

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I give no one quarter on this if it was such an open secret. Just like anyone who never spoke up about Weinstein for decades. Scumbags the lot of them. Shame on anyone who knew. No matter what political/powerful shitbag you are.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Supposedly, he hung himself. I’m not usually much for conspiracy theories, but in this case I find suicide highly implausible.

Me too, given he was being monitored 24/7 on Suicide Watch. I think somebody was paid to turn their back for half an hour........

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect his chances of surviving in prison were slim to none whether death came by his own hand or someone else's.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he wasn't on suicide watch (as has been reported now) then he wasn't being watched 24/7, and there are probably not CCTVs for each cell (too much $). It can be as quick as 3-5 minutes to suffocate from hanging and if it was done in the wee hours of the morning then likely he wasn't physically looked at between counts that are probably conducted every few hours throughout the night. I have seen a person who "hung" himself from his bunk while lying down, he looked like he was sleeping in the bunk. He was counted all throughout the night and found dead the next morning.

Regardless this will not be a good day, or coming weeks, for the staff.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results