shape
carat
color
clarity

Find my own or stick with WF/BGD

sdrawdej54

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I've been doing my best to learn about the fascinating world of diamonds and all my options for buying. I've been investigating BN and JA to see how much I've learned to select the right diamond. Trying to decide if I trust what I've learned or pay the premium for what looks like a sure thing from WF or BGD.

Am I on the right track with a diamond like this 1.4 HCA from JA?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...excellent-cut-sku-7419965?a_aid=55f8cd4e21a11

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone looks good, but don't know anything about angles, etc since ja hides reports now. Can you ask them for aset/IS?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
How did you get the HCA without having the specs? I’m a bit surprised at how much body color there is for a G.
What about a WF expert selection - choice stones that just miss the very strict ACA designation.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
Hi @sdrawdej54 , Welcome to PS. After reviewing what limited information is available on JA’s website, I’d recommend reaching out to their CS rep and ask for the following: the grading report, an ideal-scope image, and a Hearts and Arrows (H&A) image. Once you have the GIA report, enter the report number or respective angle and facet measurements from the report into the HCA tool. Anything that scores above a 2 should automatically be rejected; anything below a 2 should still be vetted based on the additional images.

Also, a “super-ideal” is technically a true H&A. With that in mind, if you are searching for an “unbranded” super-ideal, I’d recommend asking the JA rep why the diamond isn’t listed under their own True H&A brand. Most likely, it’s not perfectly optically symmetrical (H&A image will disclose).

With regards to paying a premium for a branded super-ideal, that all depends on whether you want the peace of mind knowing you’re definitely getting the best cut with excellent optical symmetry and light performance and if you’ll consider a future upgrade. WF, BGD, and HPD all offer generous upgrade policies (although I personally prefer WF and HPD’s - fewer restrictions).

These are just a few things to consider. Good luck with your hunt and definitely post any updates.

sdrawdej54

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys all so much for your thoughts and input. I did previously ask for the GIA report to generate the HCA. The GIA# is 5323994011. Unfortunately was told they do not have an ASET/IS "due to the diamond's location."

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys all so much for your thoughts and input. I did previously ask for the GIA report to generate the HCA. The GIA# is 5323994011. Unfortunately was told they do not have an ASET/IS "due to the diamond's location."
Could you post the report, or at least the values? That way we can see what the numbers are.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be great to have advanced images with a 35.5 crown, but at least the angles are complimentary.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
I second @lovedogs . My replacement diamond has very similar specs, but I had it vetted by Jonathan at AV, who confirmed H&A as well as provided ASET. I used his concierge service to find my non-branded ideal that performs as well as a super-ideal without the price premium. I only went with the 35.5/40.6 because it was vetted. Without the additional assessment tools, I would have passed. My sweet spot is 34.5/40.8. Also, knowing that GIA rounds their measurements, I took the loose diamond to a local jeweler who ran it through a Sarin machine, which confirmed the variances, but were slight and within tolerance.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both nice stones. I would go with "G" since its in your budget. The size difference is not significant enough to make that a deciding factor (IMO).

Is there a possibility of upgrading in the future? Check out both upgrade policies. One is much easier than the other.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results