shape
carat
color
clarity

Step cut lovers, how do you keep them clean?!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got a new baguette band which I cleaned right when I opened it. So shiny and perfect. 5 hours of wear later and I can already see the dust! Gahhhhhhhhh.

How do you guys keep your steps clean and shiny without constantly washing it?!?

This is my first real step cut diamond piece, I hope it doesn’t make me crazy lol.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just ultrasonic with a tiny drop of dish soap and water after each wear.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There are a bunch of old threads on how to keep your asschers clean. You might want to check them out. When you first get your step cuts, especially if you are used to brilliant cuts, they will drive you crazy.

Basically you have to carry around a microfiber cloth (I carry these: https://www.amazon.com/MightyMicroC...&qid=1563254126&s=gateway&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1 ), and some cleaner (I carry Lavish) for spot clearing and use your ultrasonic weekly (or more), don't wear hand-lotion and get used to not touching your rings.

That's about it. Sorry, wish I had more to offer.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a bunch of old threads on how to keep your asschers clean. You might want to check them out. When you first get your step cuts, especially if you are used to brilliant cuts, they will drive you crazy.

Basically you have to carry around a microfiber cloth (I carry these: https://www.amazon.com/MightyMicroC...&qid=1563254126&s=gateway&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1 ), and some cleaner (I carry Lavish) for spot clearing and use your ultrasonic weekly (or more), don't wear hand-lotion and get used to not touching your rings.

I ordered some microfiber clothes. I should really have them for my glasses anyways!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to use an US and Windex but my stuff always came out cloudy and there were spots that just never got “cleaned”.
I started soaking my stuff in Dawn dishwashing liquid and water in a little bowl and now all my rings come out sparkling and super clear. I just soak them after wearing them and rinse with a baby toothbrush after. The difference is amazing.
I use Dawn dishwashing foam. See below. It is amazing.
FF273800-2483-47D9-9DF6-8BEA5B7377EC.png

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade Thank you for posting this; following for interest. I’ve been thinking about preparing myself for this as well when I do get around to setting my tycoon. Thankfully, I work from home and wash my hands probably 20x/day with a soap that doesn’t leave any residue, so I am hopeful that will help keep it clean as well as being able to soak it daily and/or just hit it with a soft brush & dawn periodically.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade Thank you for posting this; following for interest. I’ve been thinking about preparing myself for this as well when I do get around to setting my tycoon. Thankfully, I work from home and wash my hands probably 20x/day with a soap that doesn’t leave any residue, so I am hopeful that will help keep it clean as well as being able to soak it daily and/or just hit it with a soft brush & dawn periodically.

Honestly I think it’s the underside that’s gathering dust that I can see sometimes.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alternate Lavish and an ultrasonic and a polishing cloth

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the link, Layla. Miss you!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Nothing keeps them clean when you re-apply sunblock on your hands all day. One handwash and that zinc is all over the damn stepcut, and it looks like shit until you soak and scrub it. I'm about to chuck my 4ct asscher into the trash! :wall:

But seriously, carry alcohol wipes. I buy the giant box from costco and wipe it down every chance I get.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing keeps them clean when you re-apply sunblock on your hands all day. One handwash and that zinc is all over the damn stepcut, and it looks like shit until you soak and scrub it. I'm about to chuck my 4ct asscher into the trash! :wall:

But seriously, carry alcohol wipes. I buy the giant box from costco and wipe it down every chance I get.

Haha! If that happens I’ll be rooting through you trash like a bling raccoon! :lol-2:

Heh I work in a hospital so Purel is constantly happening

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Honestly... you will have to get used to a bit of dirt. Dirt shows a lot faster on step cuts than on brilliant cuts. The first years I had my asscher band I was crazy trying to make it *completely* clean. Impossible. Now I simply try to live with it, but it sure IS annoying. Just know that brilliant cuts get as dirty; it simply doesnt show as early... :lol:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean mine every time I wear them. Of course, Old Miss Evil is evil whether she’s clean or not.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have no idea why my eternity ring is so sparkly. I never clean it. But I like eyeglass microfibre cloths and Dawn DW soap when I do. FWIW I think the cloth is the game changer here.

cheers--Sharon

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally speaking, my rings are never truly ‘dirty’ because I wash my hands 20x or more a day, and I don’t take my rings off when I do. But I noticed that they actually looked/stayed ‘cleaner’ (less hard water spots) with hand washings when I switched over to Dr. Bronner’s Castile soap (I dilute it in foam hand soap dispensers at home and keep a small bottle in my purse when out and about). I love this soap because it rinses so clean, which helps my hands from drying out due to the ingredients in some of the other hand soaps out there. I’m hoping the same holds true once I have my new step cut diamond set and on my finger.

Luvallgems

Brilliant_Rock
Generally speaking, my rings are never truly ‘dirty’ because I wash my hands 20x or more a day, and I don’t take my rings off when I do. But I noticed that they actually looked/stayed ‘cleaner’ (less hard water spots) with hand washings when I switched over to Dr. Bronner’s Castile soap (I dilute it in foam hand soap dispensers at home and keep a small bottle in my purse when out and about). I love this soap because it rinses so clean, which helps my hands from drying out due to the ingredients in some of the other hand soaps out there. I’m hoping the same holds true once I have my new step cut diamond set and on my finger.
Thanks so much for this tip...Wonderful cleaner, Lots better than Dawn.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
interesting.....

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FTR: I don’t know that Dr. Bronner’s is ‘officially’ safe for jewelry; just happened to be something I noticed when I started using it for hand washing.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wash my hands or put on lotion with my rings on and my EC ring stays clean all day. I clean them at night after I wear them either in jewelry cleaner or Dawn dish soap.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ultrasonic is a game changer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results