shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal cut diamond on Tiffany box for proposal

llozano

Rough_Rock
Hello friends,

I bought a 0.92, I color, vs1 ideal diamond and I'm thinking on buying a Tiffany box online and making the proposal with it. I noticed that a lot of engagement ring boxes are black and not the Tiffany famous teal color. Does anyone know if the black color is the new one that comes with Tiffany engagement ringsor what's going on? Thanks.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a very bad idea.
Staring a marriage with a lie will not lead to a happy marriage.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you're planning to propose with a non-Tiffany ring, in a Tiffany box, is that correct? Or do you just want a 'Tiffany blue' coloured box? Passing a non-Tiffany ring off as a Tiff is NOT a good idea.

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
If she's thinking about a Tiffany ring for her engagement ring, and she sees a Tiffany blue box, she's going to be expecting a Tiffany ring. You might be setting yourself up for disappointment if she opens the box and sees that it's not a Tiffany ring (even though it's super ideal!).

If she simply wants a high quality box, the Mrs. Box (https://themrsbox.com/) comes highly recommended. I also think the super ideal vendors tend to have some nice boxes.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your fiancée to be was desiring a Tiffany ring, trust me, putting a “non Tiffany ring” into a “Tiffany look a like ring box” is a very BAD IDEA!
You can certainly purchase some beautiful ring boxes online but don’t even think about “pretending” or “implying” the ring is a Tiffany ring, if it’s not.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Multiplitto.
Really bad idea.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot echo the above feedback - advising this is a bad idea - enough! If you bought from BGD or WF (not certain which based on your other thread), I am sure either vendors’ ring boxes are beautiful for presentation. Or choose something else unique/fancy/etc like an antique ring box, Mrs box, even something custom made from wood, etc., but nothing that suggests the ring itself is from a different vendor.

If you try to pass the ring off as a Tiffany and she happens to take it into a Tiffany store for cleaning, they will be quick to alert her to the truth, I’m sure. That will not bode well for you, not to mention embarrass her.

If it’s from WF or BGD, there is no shame/reason to represent it otherwise. It’s a superior diamond with a cut likely exceeding what would have come in the little blue box. And honesty is the best policy always; if you start off the proposal with a misrepresentation over something ‘minor’ (in the grand scheme of life), there will always be doubt in her mind about what else you may be misrepresenting.

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
That would be a really bizarre thing to do and a very bad idea. The new boxes are the blue ones, but don’t do it.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
I also think this is a pretty bad idea. What made you think it was a good idea, maybe that would help us see your side?! if you want a nice box, I saw an instagram called the mrs. box and they have velvet boxes that you can get your initials on, I think that would go over much better, and then you still have a very pretty box!!

mrsbox.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are tons of beautiful custom ring boxes you can buy on Etsy that would be lovely options, not only to present at proposal time, but could be used on your wedding day and for years to come.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=custom ring box

ponyrider

Rough_Rock
If SHE wants a Tiffany box (as in, it is her idea) then know that the blue is the newest. While I dont really understand it, I know some people like the blue box for display, etc. If this is your idea to "fool" her, please don't!!!! I am sure you know her, so if she wants the blue box, go for it. If not, please think long and hard about this move. While the diamond you bought is most likely better than anything Tiffany sells, I do understand the allure of the "little blue box", especially when it comes to her friends possibly seeing it in her jewelry collection.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I was following correctly, this is a Whiteflash Diamond - source a gorgeous box you're proud of it the Whiteflash box isn't doing it for you, but not Branded box

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely do not do that. It's dishonest, and she will be expecting a Tiffany ring inside the box.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point @ponyrider If OP’s partner just wanted the box (and not necessarily a Tiffany ring), that is fine ... though I sincerely hope it’s not with the intent to deceive her friends/family into thinking her ring is also from Tiffany.

But if she said she wanted a Tiffany blue box kinda ‘tongue in cheek’ (meaning she also expects a Tiffany ring inside) :naughty:. In this case, it’d be far better to level-set her expectations with the reality of your intent/budget/etc. before the proposal (if she knows it’s coming) than attempt to deceive her at/after the proposal.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get her a lovely Mrs. Box... they are so cute!

llozano

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for all of your feedbacks.

Let me explain the context a little more: she loves Tiffany's brand and has a Tiffany necklace, but we both came to the conclusion that it was better to buy a non-Tiffany ring to increase the size of the diamond.

I read online that Blue Nile or James Alen boxes (I don't remember which one) are very bad looking. I ended buying from BGD as some of you pointed out, so I tought that maybe their boxes weren't so good so wanted to better be safe, but I liked a lot the suggested boxes.

Also, she likes a lot to take pictures, so I thought that having "the blue box" in the pictures would make her happier.

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
I still think if she’s sees the blue box her first thought will be that you bought her a larger Tiffany, and then be disappointed. And buying the Tiffany box for pictures with a non-Tiffany ring seems odd and deceptive. I think it would be a better idea to buy a cool antique box or a Mrs. box.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The context helps. If you really want to get her one, I would suggest getting one and having it ready, but I would not use it when you initially present and/or propose to her with the actual ring. Instead maybe give it to her a day later and preface you’re giving it to her with “I also got you this box since you seem to like the Tiffany brand and thought you may want it for pictures.” But if she already has other Tiffany items I would imagine she also already has Tiffany boxes or pouches that she could use. I would instead focus on getting her something that you can present the ring to her with that will be memorable and a keepsake such as one of the suggestions earlier in the thread.

llozano

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much, yes, I think I'll do as suggested (buy a Mrs. Box or an antique box and and also present the other box as well). The problem now is that I already bought the Tiffany box on eBay and I got the black engagement ring box as I didn't know that was the old box. Should I use that one as I already have it? It was around $60.

The context helps. If you really want to get her one, I would suggest getting one and having it ready, but I would not use it when you initially present and/or propose to her with the actual ring. Instead maybe give it to her a day later and preface you’re giving it to her with “I also got you this box since you seem to like the Tiffany brand and thought you may want it for pictures.” But if she already has other Tiffany items I would imagine she also already has Tiffany boxes or pouches that she could use. I would instead focus on getting her something that you can present the ring to her with that will be memorable and a keepsake such as one of the suggestions earlier in the thread.

I still think if she’s sees the blue box her first thought will be that you bought her a larger Tiffany, and then be disappointed. And buying the Tiffany box for pictures with a non-Tiffany ring seems odd and deceptive. I think it would be a better idea to buy a cool antique box or a Mrs. box.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much, yes, I think I'll do as suggested (buy a Mrs. Box or an antique box and and also present the other box as well). The problem now is that I already bought the Tiffany box on eBay and I got the black engagement ring box as I didn't know that was the old box. Should I use that one as I already have it? It was around $60.
There’s a good chance the ones you got from eBay or fake anyways… Honestly, it’s probably just a $60 lesson. You can always put them aside if she Specifically asked for a Tiffany’s box for her pictures, but the Mrs. box or a nice custom box will be far superior.

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
Also, if her friends see the blue box in pictures they will ask if her ring is from Tiffany's etc. etc. etc. It might make her very uncomfortable to explain that the ring is not from Tiffany's and you just got the box. That would be a shame too since I am sure your ring from BGD is AMAZING. Just another thing to consider...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just FYI, there are velvet ring boxes equal in quality to the ones mentioned above for a lower cost.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=velvet ring box

If she likes Tiffany, I'd take her there to choose her wedding band. Even taking pictures with the BG ring in a Tiffany box to post online is just deceptive. I have a Tiffany repro e-ring setting and a real Tiffany wedding band. That's the best way to obtain a real Tiffany box.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you got the knife edge setting it looks like a Tiffany ring, in fact I think it's nicer than a Tiffany ring, but passing it off in a Tiffany box is a really dumb thing to do, give her the ring in another box (the Brian Gavin ones have always been fine) and then give her the other boxes, if she wants to pass it off as real Tiffany to her friends and family in photos that's her choice. I also think that's another dumb thing to do. She has a ring and a diamond better in quality that Tiffany, that's all anyone needs to know.

llozano

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for all your suggestions. I'll pick up tomorrow the BGD ring, if I like the box I'll use it, but I won't use the Tiffany box. If I don't like it I'll buy a velvet box from Etsy or a Mrs. Box. I liked the idea of getting the wedding band from Tiffany, I'll take a look!

Just FYI, there are velvet ring boxes equal in quality to the ones mentioned above for a lower cost.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=velvet ring box

If she likes Tiffany, I'd take her there to choose her wedding band. Even taking pictures with the BG ring in a Tiffany box to post online is just deceptive. I have a Tiffany repro e-ring setting and a real Tiffany wedding band. That's the best way to obtain a real Tiffany box.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results