shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find the perfect "raspberry"...

L

lucky_in_love

Wow, then she must see colours way different from most people. The fruit raspberry has a lot of pink in it; can she not see it?

Oh she can see pink undertones, and the one still photo of that ring with the plant in the background definately makes it look more raspberry, but it's just too pink for her liking.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Oh she can see pink undertones, and the one still photo of that ring with the plant in the background definately makes it look more raspberry, but it's just too pink for her liking.
I think you need to see these stones in person. Grab a bunch from vendors who have a good return policy. Rubies and spinels generally photograph as more pink than they appear to the eye due to UV fluorescence. And there are Mahenge spinels that look like this. I own it. This is just to show you it's tricky to capture the color on camera. I don't intend to sell it.
IMG_20190606_094644199.jpg IMG_20190606_090145240.jpg IMG_20190606_094404303.jpg
Same stone, different lighting, and this is for a spinel that is not even that fluorescent. Bought from Africa Gems, by the way.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you located (or can travel) near a vendor that has the stones pictured on their website, on physical site?
If you can’t be ok with spending a few hundred bucks to ship stones back and forth or travel fare-
While 7-8 for a ruby is generally concerned low for a “good” 2ct ruby
It’s enough money that you don’t want to be disappointed by falling in love with a monitor rendition that doesn’t translate to real life.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is stunning, but again the still photo looks amazing but the video shows the stone as being much darker.
I didn’t see any video. That’s good you checked. Your fiancé seems to like darker reds, which is why I posted it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screenshot_20190714-084815.png
Wow, then she must see colours way different from most people. The fruit raspberry has a lot of pink in it; can she not see it? See the pictures that I posted that came up when googling for raspberry. Those are 60% tone red, which borders on pink, whereas what she likes is 80% tone red.

She definately doesn't want anything pink. She wants red. She also doesn't care if it's been heated/non-heated.

Phew, glad to see I am not the only one who see pink in raspberry the fruit.

DK :))

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
An out-of-leftfield suggestion but raspberry makes me think of béryl framboise, or 'raspberry beryl', which is the original name for pezzottaite when it was first found in Madagascar, before it was discovered to be a separate mineral species. It may be hard to come by as a cut gem, but the colour really is raspberry-like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pez...g7XjAhX7QxUIHYLSAs8Q_AUIECgB&biw=1920&bih=922

The hardness is 8 and no cleavage to speak of, so it should be pretty durable. It would certainly be something rare and unusual.

I'm not familiar enough with the trusted vendors on here to know how often this stone becomes available, so I may be talking rubbish!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The red the OP likes colourwise is rubies and spinels, otherwise garnets as suggested but they often tend to be darker reds, the problem with the red the OP likes is that I doubt you will find a heat only ruby or a bright red spinel much over 2 carats that is clean in that price range and a nice cushion shape... if you are happy with a ruby that has minor flux you might find something in that price range in a nice bright red.

Agree, and honestly, between a red ruby and a red spinel i’d go for a spinel given lack of treatment, cleanness and the size of the spinel one can get for the price of a small ruby.

Rubies can be fantastic, but there is a reason they confused rubies and spinels in old times.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
345E93E0-5298-44B6-899E-B8A198E5CB43.jpeg My finger is an 8. This is my ring with a 1.25 round sapphire plus 1 carat diamonds.
Unfortunately with “larger” fingers you don’t get much finger coverage and Rubies and good red Spinels are so expensive these days.

L

lucky_in_love

Thoughts on this spinel...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of orange in that spinel.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thoughts on this spinel...
I do see a lot of orange, but the stone appears to have some silk, and is bright and lacks extinction. It’s not raspberry to my eye though. Now, if that’s a sunlight picture, assume it’s browner in artificial light.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it, but I tend to favor the warm vs the cool.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I like it, but I don't love it. I'm not seeing much orange on this work computer screen. What bothers me is it looks like it might have a small window (no scintillation at the center of the gem), and I noticed inclusions on the pavilion, which might also be what is contributing to lack of scintillation in the center.

L

lucky_in_love

There's another one I'm interested in, will post the video once available.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like this is much more purple than red, and has too much blue for "raspberry" color. But color is seriously so objective that it's almost impossible to judge what one person vs another would think of when you say rasberry color.
That “ruby” looks more like a rhodolite.

L

lucky_in_love

How about this one?

17C14047-9A41-4621-947B-684DB4C2D0DD.jpeg 0C560661-612B-4F15-98A6-8CA862DCCAC7.jpeg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
This inclusion would bug me... right on the table.
20190716_074940.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the price. I love the size, proportions, cutting, and slight silk (less extinction), but true indoor shots are necessary. The orangey red color doesn’t “glow” in the outdoor video as a stone with string fluorescence should. I suspect it’s much “browner” indoors. That table inclusion noted by Christy above wouldn’t bug me if the price was right, but it may bug your fiancé.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect the one you posted is going to be brown indoors or very dark.

L

lucky_in_love

Depends on the price. I love the size, proportions, cutting, and slight silk (less extinction), but true indoor shots are necessary. The orangey red color doesn’t “glow” in the outdoor video as a stone with string fluorescence should. I suspect it’s much “browner” indoors. That table inclusion noted by Christy above wouldn’t bug me if the price was right, but it may bug your fiancé.

Price is posted at $6,500. I have asked for indoor shots. The inclusion isn’t bothersome to us.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results