shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire or Diamond Halo for K Color Stone

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know if a warmer color (K) MRB center stone would show more color contrast against a halo of warmer color diamonds or sapphires?

I understand how melee will always appear whiter than the center stone even if warmer color melee are used, and with a K there will always be some tint, but I'm looking to minimize it.

I'm not sure if the cool color of the sapphires will help the stone look whiter or actually make it look warmer by contrast.

Does anyone has experience with this or pictures of warmer diamonds next to sapphires?

Thank you!

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
What color sapphires? If white/gray/silver, I doubt it would make the center stone look better.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Should have specified, I don't know much about colored stones so when I think sapphire I just think blue. The stones would be medium blue, not super light or super dark.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a sapphire target ring with an M colored stone and imo it made the stone look whiter. The halo of blue sapphires did, however, make the ring quite large and I felt self conscious of it at work and such. Your miles may vary of course.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think blue would make the center stone look whiter, since blue tends to cancel our yellow to the eye.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Slick1, I saw your ring when I was searching PS for target rings last night. Yours is/was so beautiful but I know it was large so I can understand how you'd feel that way. I would get the Ivy & Rose target ring, which for a 7mm stone comes in at about 12mm, which I don't think would be too big on a size 5.25 finger. I know that antique cuts look whiter than MRB so maybe your M would be close to my K. I thought your stone looked pretty white in the setting.

Was there anything else about it you didn't like other than the size? I'm concerned if it will look enough like an engagement ring. I've been married a long time so I'm not worried about it like I would if I was just getting engaged, but I don't want to feel like I'm just wearing a piece of costume jewelry. There's not going to be room under the gallery to fit a wedding band without a gap.

Any insight you have would be much appreciated!

Jujeh

Rough_Rock
I don't agree with the theory that blue will make it look less yellow. Yellow and blue aren't quite complementary colors but even if they were, complementary colors make each other BRIGHTER and louder.

I have attached a horrible ms paint illustration to show what I mean.

Untitled.png

To me, the one on the left looks much yellower.

Truth be told though, I don't think it will make a huge difference. K colored stones are really not that yellow in most lighting conditions. Just get what you want. :)

Note: I could be totally wrong here. I'm not an artist or otherwise an expert in color theory by any means.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Really curious to me why you chose to surround yellow with gray on the right, instead of with white. The OP was considering blue sapphires vs white diamond.

To be honest, both these look equally yellow to me, is just that the blue is more arresting and naturally attracts the eye so I end up looking on the left more.

Jujeh

Rough_Rock
@voce

I just wanted to focus on the difference the blue hue makes.

Here's another version with a less saturated blue and white.

Untitled.png

Take your avatar as an example. The green only makes the pink stand out more. Not less. Why? Because they are complementary colors. Imagine if you had a white halo instead. The center stone would look less pink.

It's not going to be a huge difference either way. It's not like you're going to be like "WOW, canary yellow!" or "WOW, colorless!" just based on the halo. We're dealing with very light yellow so any differences will be pretty slight ...

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Those are interesting comparisons, thanks for posting. They look equally yellow to me in the 2nd picture. We once painted a room from tan to a grey blue and any off white accents that previously looked fine suddenly looked so yellow and dingy. Which made me wonder about how the blue might affect the center stone.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I thought you might like to see an Ivy and Rose target ring I have . The center is moissanite , graded as "H" but is say more in the J/K range truthfully. I think the blue sapphire makes the stone look whiter. This is the version that holds a 7.5 to 8mm, stone is an 8mm. Slightly larger than what you are looking at. You can also see firsthand the gap, but I personally like a gap... hope this helps you visualize.
20190715_193121.jpg

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I thought you might like to see an Ivy and Rose target ring I have . The center is moissanite , graded as "H" but is say more in the J/K range truthfully. I think the blue sapphire makes the stone look whiter. This is the version that holds a 7.5 to 8mm, stone is an 8mm. Slightly larger than what you are looking at. You can also see firsthand the gap, but I personally like a gap... hope this helps you visualize.
20190715_193121.jpg

Thank you so so much for posting that. I think it's really beautiful and your stonelooks very white if you think it's actually a J/K. I also do like the gap in the pictures you've posted and love the way you stacked your bands. I see in your avatar that you have another gorgeous engagement ring, but when you wear this, so you feel like you have on an engagement ring or more that it's just "fun" jewelry? My birthstone is Sapphire and I'm having a big birthday this year so felt like this might be fitting, but I don't want it to feel like I'm not wearing an engagement ring or that it doesn't go with what I'm wearing or something.

What do you think of the quality? I'm still trying to figure out what the catch is and why their prices are so reasonable. I also like their trade in policy and thought if I get bored with it after a few years maybe I can trade it in for something else.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I would 100% wear this as an engagement ring. Especially since sapphire is your birthstone! The look is very classic art deco, which I personally love.
The ring is light weight, (compared to my platinum rings). At first I worried it might be delicate, but it has proven to be well made. I have worn it for days at a time and I'm a class A klutz (bang my rings all the time!) It has held up great and still looks good. The sapphires are a very pretty medium blue in real life. I did get this as a right hand ring, but I love the style and think it's a great engagement ring look. And not what everyone else has, which I like, ya know? ;-)

I didn't know I&R has an upgrade policy! I need to look into that!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I would 100% wear this as an engagement ring. Especially since sapphire is your birthstone! The look is very classic art deco, which I personally love.
The ring is light weight, (compared to my platinum rings). At first I worried it might be delicate, but it has proven to be well made. I have worn it for days at a time and I'm a class A klutz (bang my rings all the time!) It has held up great and still looks good. The sapphires are a very pretty medium blue in real life. I did get this as a right hand ring, but I love the style and think it's a great engagement ring look. And not what everyone else has, which I like, ya know? ;-)

I didn't know I&R has an upgrade policy! I need to look into that!

Thank you for the info! Did you get that engraved band you're wearing with the target ring from I&R too? Looks similar to one they have in their site but theirs may be wider. Just curious, they go great together!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
No David Klass made my band

One more question if you see this. Was your stone a full 8mm and did they have any problem setting it? Based on the website it seems like it could be an issue. I'm considering just getting a moissanite and might as well get an 8mm incase I want to do something else with it in the future.

Thanks!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
One more question if you see this. Was your stone a full 8mm and did they have any problem setting it? Based on the website it seems like it could be an issue. I'm considering just getting a moissanite and might as well get an 8mm incase I want to do something else with it in the future.

Thanks!

Yes, it's an 8mm. I let Ivy&Rose set it. They did a great job!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results