shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Experts Needed!

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Not from my part; my own taste is much like yours so (just make everything size three ,), obviously I am delighted to read everything ('guess it doesn't show if I am not writing, does it...)

gotta go & will come back

Thanks, @AV_

Sometimes I forget that people here understand. In the “real world” I’m considered to be “nuts” and no one around me wants to hear the word asscher ever again.

Reactions: OoohShiny, Venzen007 and AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Menlikediamondstoo I do not remember trying to broker such conversations too far from this forum; perhaps with a cutter or two / or curators of painting, if & when they might be talking of patterns of light - the two tribes have not met often.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
@Menlikediamondstoo , You may have already gotten this, but since it wasn't posted here yet, I took it on myself to get it for you. Here is the ASET image for the G - IF from James Allen. There's not a whole lot of red here, and I'd have some concern about the middle, but maybe some others can be more specific/accurate. @Karl_K

ASET.jpg

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
@Menlikediamondstoo , You may have already gotten this, but since it wasn't posted here yet, I took it on myself to get it for you. Here is the ASET image for the G - IF from James Allen. There's not a whole lot of red here, and I'd have some concern about the middle, but maybe some others can be more specific/accurate. @Karl_K

ASET.jpg

Thank you! Wow, you are all amazing. This is great! I didn’t want this stone to be the one! I don’t need IF!

I requested images and an ASET for this one below. The table/depth % has me intrigued.

90E025EC-F934-4322-ACDA-8F1E3E8C96D3.png

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Sometimes it's just a coincidence, but I've read when a stone is just over a magic carat number like 2.0, (2.5 maybe) 3.0, there is a chance it's been cut with an eye more for reaching that carat weight rather than performance, but that's why ASETs can be a helpful tool!

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Here's a still image from the video. I'm posting it because it looks like it could have a mushy area under the table, meaning that area may not be returning light like you'd want. The ASET will help answer that. Looking forward to seeing it! Screenshot_20190715-134335~2.png

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Here's a still image from the video. I'm posting it because it looks like it could have a mushy area under the table, meaning that area may not be returning light like you'd want. The ASET will help answer that. Looking forward to seeing it! Screenshot_20190715-134335~2.png

I’m seriously beginning to think that there isn’t a perfect asscher. There is literally a problem with every single one!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update. I just got a video of the stone above. I’m REALLY liking what I see. Waiting on an ASET next!

https://www.certifiedstone.info/viewer/Vision360.html?d=LD190610932&h=900&bp=l

Take what I am saying with a grain of salt, but under the table - aside from the windmills - it kind of looks blurry-gray and ‘undefined’ to me as it moves. I *think* you’d want to see a little more action there as it moves in terms of steps clearly turning on & off. But I would defer to the more knowledgeable step cut gurus on their thoughts about this; it may be a nothing-burger.

8ABB85EB-237B-4033-9DDB-03C195E9F3FD.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m seriously beginning to think that there isn’t a perfect asscher. There is literally a problem with every single one!

I see @Venzen007 saw the same thing I did. I’m sorry you are frustrated; it really is quite the endeavor finding the ‘perfect’ asscher, if such a thing exists.

I found that it really helped me to not get focused on one particular standout feature on a candidate if I made a list of what to check/look for aside from the obvious size/color/clarity items; the movement under table being one of them to check for.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Take what I am saying with a grain of salt, but under the table - aside from the windmills - it kind of looks blurry-gray and ‘undefined’ to me as it moves. I *think* you’d want to see a little more action there as it moves in terms of steps clearly turning on & off. But I would defer to the more knowledgeable step cut gurus on their thoughts about this; it may be a nothing-burger.

This is exactly why I am here and why I appreciate all the feedback :)

I agree with what you are saying. One thing I do notice is that the James Allen and blue Nile videos show crisp stones with steps turning on and off. I’m beginning to wonder if the other videos are poorly done as many of the Adiamor stones seem mushy under the table.

Now I’m really curious to see the ASET.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Can I ask how you're going about this process, in terms of getting diamonds in-hand to lay eyes on?

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Can I ask how you're going about this process, in terms of getting diamonds in-hand to lay eyes on?

yes, my Jeweler is able to bring in pretty much any of these stones for me to view in person (most likely at better prices). I just want to provide him with a list of stones that are a must for him to bring in.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Assuming he/she's going to pull in half a dozen or so stones for you to look at at the same time, that's good. In terms of the not-so-good, however, (in my opinion, at least) is them having you do the work choosing which ones they bring in. You, like a lot of us here, are very interested in educating yourself on the cut you're after, but we can only learn so much in a limited amount of time. Going by these videos and pictures (ASETS would be better, but still not 100%), we can likely rule out the stinkers but be left with "OK" to "Good" to "Great". From there, at least for me, it's difficult to start differentiating between those by just these videos without laying eyes on them in a comparison atmosphere. However, if you choose and they pull in 6 stones and they all happen to just be "OK", one of them will no doubt look the best. But, even if you choose that one, you still end up with just an "ok" stone.

The person you're working with should be far more educated than you or I in this process and they should be hand-picking the stones to bring in for you to look at, based on past experiences with the sources (maybe they have a source that has been historically really good for asschers), ASET images, etc., and I wouldn't just take their word for it that they know what they're talking about it. With what you're learning here, you can get a good sense whether a jeweler is "blowing smoke" or not. I figured out the jeweler with whom I initially worked on getting my wife's asscher was just good at "blowing smoke", and I moved on.

I know it's easier said than done, but don't feel obligated to this jeweler for their time. Jeweler's don't sell their time; they sell stuff. If they're not capable of helping you in this process as I've described above, then, when it's as important to you as this seems to be, you need to find someone who is as intimately knowledgeable as one can get of the particular cut you're after and let them help get the rights stones in front of you, so you can choose between 6 "greats".

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Assuming he/she's going to pull in half a dozen or so stones for you to look at at the same time, that's good. In terms of the not-so-good, however, (in my opinion, at least) is them having you do the work choosing which ones they bring in. You, like a lot of us here, are very interested in educating yourself on the cut you're after, but we can only learn so much in a limited amount of time. Going by these videos and pictures (ASETS would be better, but still not 100%), we can likely rule out the stinkers but be left with "OK" to "Good" to "Great". From there, at least for me, it's difficult to start differentiating between those by just these videos without laying eyes on them in a comparison atmosphere. However, if you choose and they pull in 6 stones and they all happen to just be "OK", one of them will no doubt look the best. But, even if you choose that one, you still end up with just an "ok" stone.

The person you're working with should be far more educated than you or I in this process and they should be hand-picking the stones to bring in for you to look at, based on past experiences with the sources (maybe they have a source that has been historically really good for asschers), ASET images, etc., and I wouldn't just take their word for it that they know what they're talking about it. With what you're learning here, you can get a good sense whether a jeweler is "blowing smoke" or not. I figured out the jeweler with whom I initially worked on getting my wife's asscher was just good at "blowing smoke", and I moved on.

I know it's easier said than done, but don't feel obligated to this jeweler for their time. Jeweler's don't sell their time; they sell stuff. If they're not capable of helping you in this process as I've described above, then, when it's as important to you as this seems to be, you need to find someone who is as intimately knowledgeable as one can get of the particular cut you're after and let them help get the rights stones in front of you, so you can choose between 6 "greats".

I completely understand. And honestly, what I gained from you is that I should have more confidence in my jeweler. I 100% took the drivers seat and didn’t even give him a chance because I wanted Pricescope opinions. To be honest, it’s not fair to him. He is a friend, but in the end he will only be making around $400 as he is barley marking up the stone. (I did offer to pay for the back and forth shipping).

He will be bringing in 6 stones (all similar specks) next week. I am going to let my eyes do the buying. I don’t want to even look at the certificates.

Let’s not forget, the only reason this is possible is because he is giving me the absolute highest value for my trade in. 25% more than anyone else.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Maybe you can have the best of both worlds. Order an ASET scope (assuming your jeweler friend doesn't have one). You can get them from ideal-scope, David Atlas, maybe other places, too. They're about 50 bucks or so. When the stones comes in, bring that ASET scope with you. Post those images here, so you can get expert feedback from the cut folks here on Pricescope and consumer chatter from people like me, with the point basically being just 1) fun, but 2) to rule out a situation where you got unlucky enough to get in 6 marginal stones. My understanding is that ASETs are not really supposed to take the place of a naked eye opinion, in terms of what a particular stone does for you, but it does help cut the back the sparkle so you can see a more quantifiable, and objective picture of the static light performance.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Maybe you can have the best of both worlds. Order an ASET scope (assuming your jeweler friend doesn't have one). You can get them from ideal-scope, David Atlas, maybe other places, too. They're about 50 bucks or so. When the stones comes in, bring that ASET scope with you. Post those images here, so you can get expert feedback from the cut folks here on Pricescope and consumer chatter from people like me, with the point basically being just 1) fun, but 2) to rule out a situation where you got unlucky enough to get in 6 marginal stones. My understanding is that ASETs are not really supposed to take the place of a naked eye opinion, in terms of what a particular stone does for you, but it does help cut the back the sparkle so you can see a more quantifiable, and objective picture of the static light performance.

Truce! That’s what I’m going to do. I’m done looking online. Thank you. I know one will speak to me (knowing me, all will).

Again, the time you have all put in means a lot.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
This is where I got mine. https://datlas.com/ideal-scope-store/new-aset-kit/

I'm sure he'd speed up shipping if you wanted it by a certain time.

Then, for good, consistent images, you can use, as a backlight, an iPad or smart phone on which to lay your acrylic tray that comes in your kit. Sit the scope over the diamond on the tray and use another smartphone to take your pictures.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

It would be probably be similar to the ASET above with a lot of green under the table.
They can go either way.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing I do notice is that the James Allen and blue Nile videos show crisp stones with steps turning on and off. I’m beginning to wonder if the other videos are poorly done as many of the Adiamor stones seem mushy under the table.

I don’t think it’s poor camera/video skills, as other parts of the diamonds are in focus even as they spin. I think some are just not as ‘well cut’ as others you are seeing elsewhere.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
... I should have more confidence in my jeweler. I 100% took the drivers seat and didn’t even give him a chance because I wanted Pricescope opinions. To be honest, it’s not fair to him. He is a friend, but in the end he will only be making around $400 as he is barley marking up the stone...

Not to derail, and no disrespect to your friend, but please tread carefully here and at least be sure you know what you are looking at/for if you turn the reins over to him. Maybe search for PS threads with others’ experiences involving diamond purchases from jeweler’s who were ‘friends/family friends’.

Personally, I like being involved and/or driving my diamond purchases - especially when it comes to fancy cuts - because only I know what my eyes love and don’t; I hate to monopolize someone else’s time until I do make a firm decision or at least narrow things down to a very particular set of criteria; and, weeding through all the options helps me to understand the differences, further refining my requirements. Unless that person has a very solid understanding of what you want/like, if you only rely on one person to select and bring in options, you may be missing out on something else that would have been ‘the one’.

I would have never found my tycoon cut if I solely left the ‘search & selection’ to someone else. Just some things to consider, as this is a big purchase.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
DEC5A09F-2FF6-47FC-9F31-CF70541CB8A8.jpeg
View attachment 702659

Oh boy. My jeweler really pulled through. Two stones have come in so far. Now I’m torn between more octagon or square. I still love a square (I guess that aspect is personal preference)

The top photo isn’t a good photo of the stone.

Attachments

• A3336579-E10F-4A08-A371-5C7F0AB56F80.png
    A3336579-E10F-4A08-A371-5C7F0AB56F80.png
    789.8 KB · Views: 19

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Did you find a merchant to send you an ASET kit?

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Yay! Looking forward to them.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DEC5A09F-2FF6-47FC-9F31-CF70541CB8A8.jpeg
View attachment 702659

Oh boy. My jeweler really pulled through. Two stones have come in so far. Now I’m torn between more octagon or square. I still love a square (I guess that aspect is personal preference)

The top photo isn’t a good photo of the stone.

It is personal preference; I tend to love the more octagonal ones myself, especially with a small-ish table. :love:

ETA: But you should go with what YOUR eyes find appealing. I think - for me - the more square ones are a bit ‘backwards’, in that the squares are on the inside and the sparkle is on the outside edge, and to me the squares kind of appear like a frame which in my head thinks it should be on the outside and the sparkles on the inside. Hope that makes sense.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results