color
clarity

International travel

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best tours in Italy: Livitaly
Go to their website.
These are small group tours 2-6 max. You can hear the guide, ask questions and tailor the tour to meet your needs. (My family members had to use the restroom more frequently.) If still available, get the early admission to the Sistine chapel at 8 am and you have it all to yourself and maybe 10-15 people in the whole Chapel for 20 minutes. I’ve taken the Colosseum plus underground tour twice and each time I’ve had a guide that had a different emphasis in their tour, one that provided more big picture historical significance of the subject and one with more details about the subject. Fascinating and worth the time. Goes without saying that lines are skipped. Not unreasonable in price compared to some 20-25 plus people tours. If you are a runner, their Rome running tour was fabulous.

Good guides will also point out the gypsys and bands of pick pockets. You would never guess by the way the look, a mother daughter local couple walking down the street toward you. I also used PacSafe. Didn’t need it the second time. Just move with a purpose. But if traveling with older members, harder to do. If you feel like some one is staring st you they probably are. I have confronted potential pickpockets and have physically fought one off in the subway in Paris. Be alert and don’t be oblivious.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No free water, no free bathrooms. Bring lots of euros!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more really important thing. If you need to get a VAT refund at the airport, assuming you fly out of Rome, get there at least five hours early. Six would be better. I went twice in 2017, both times returning from Rome, and that VAT refund line (before you go through security) was a NIGHTMARE. You can get a refund both before you go through security, and after. I waited 2.5 hours and I almost missed my flight. If you bring back a higher dollar amount, they even flag you for detailed inspection. At least they did for me. Tour groups from China clog up those refund lines. You may think you have one person or party in front of you. In reality, it is twenty people (or more), with one person (usually the tour guide) in line for all 20 for his travel group. He gets to the front of the line, and then they wave in a zillion people. The lady in front of me was a family of four, and in front of her was the "tourguide" who waved a bunch of people into line in front of him. The lady in front of me spoke mandarin (I don't) and got into a shouting match with the guide about it. Eventually I think a few more parties squeezed in but she was vocal and objected, so that probably kept out some. Ugh. It was awful. Coming back through Heathrow was soooo much easier, absolutely NO line at all, and I mean not one single soul. We had a morning flight, but not super early. I had a noonish flight once, and a 10ish flight from Rome, and both times it was a zoo.

The second time I went after I got through security, and the line was about 1.5 hours long.

If I ever do that again, I am not coming back via Rome. No way in hell.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more really important thing. If you need to get a VAT refund at the airport, assuming you fly out of Rome, get there at least five hours early. Six would be better. I went twice in 2017, both times returning from Rome, and that VAT refund line (before you go through security) was a NIGHTMARE. You can get a refund both before you go through security, and after. I waited 2.5 hours and I almost missed my flight. If you bring back a higher dollar amount, they even flag you for detailed inspection. At least they did for me. Tour groups from China clog up those refund lines. You may think you have one person or party in front of you. In reality, it is twenty people (or more), with one person (usually the tour guide) in line for all 20 for his travel group. He gets to the front of the line, and then they wave in a zillion people. The lady in front of me was a family of four, and in front of her was the "tourguide" who waved a bunch of people into line in front of him. The lady in front of me spoke mandarin (I don't) and got into a shouting match with the guide about it. Eventually I think a few more parties squeezed in but she was vocal and objected, so that probably kept out some. Ugh. It was awful. Coming back through Heathrow was soooo much easier, absolutely NO line at all, and I mean not one single soul. We had a morning flight, but not super early. I had a noonish flight once, and a 10ish flight from Rome, and both times it was a zoo.

The second time I went after I got through security, and the line was about 1.5 hours long.

Ugh. That sounds awful o_O

I just asked and we’re flying back from Milan. Any idea how it is there?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. That sounds awful o_O

I just asked and we’re flying back from Milan. Any idea how it is there?

No idea. Just thank your lucky stars it's not Rome. I can't imagine it could be worse. But I would still get to the airport super early in case.

Maybe you can check on tripadvisor.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read and someone may have pointed this out below I've not read all the replies yet but ILS, place your jewelry in the HOTEL safe, not the safe in your room, you are carrying some really expensive, beautiful pearls, and diamonds probably, I read that the room safe's are not that safe! I like others do not bring any of my more expensive jewelry with me to Europe, in Paris there are so many scams, pickpockets ec.. don't speak to anyone selling frankensense or anything, don't fall for the deaf person wanting you to sign something, don't fall for some old lady holding a gold wedding band, I saw a guy in Paris get pickpocketed and he had his Fanny pack in FRONT of him, in the Paris subway station (one of them don't remember which).. in Spain they are always trying to get you to buy stuff, don't do it, don't wear your jewelry out in the big cities anyway.

My husband carries our passports and money in a special pouch when we go out, now I have a little card sized pix of my passport which we carry now.. the first time I went to Europe in 2010 I bought this cool bag that has flaps, and zippers, basically I don't carry much. We do put our passports in the room safe because they are somewhat easily replace and we have copies with us..

I sound like a paranoid nutcase! oh well perhaps true.

Just be aware of your surroundings. have fun. PIX please.

I don’t have much of a choice. We’re getting marrried there, so wedding jewelry has to come.

Any tips on how to keep them safe? They’ll be locked up when not being worn.

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good tip @Tekate - make sure you have a scanned copy of your passport @ILikeShiny just in case.

I travel with my jewellery, just turn my rings around so only the plain band is visible, never been a problem. My jewellery is insured if I’m wearing it, or in the safe at home, not in someone else’s safe, might be an idea to check what your policy covers.

Last time I was in Italy in July it was really hot, like the fires of hell :shock:

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think others have covered all of the bases with their advice, but I wanted to wish you safe travels and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ooh...I would say the people who have stated they didn't have any trouble with pickpockets didn't *notice* the pickpockets. Over the course of multiple trips and years, we've had people try to pick us in Paris, Berlin, Venice, Prague, etc...those are just the ones where we noticed and spotted the pickpockets (typically in touristy areas)! And we are not super obvious targets, either. We don't wear anything really expensive and don't dress like "typical Americans" (people will speak the local language to us after not immediately realizing we're tourists). We don't loudly speak in English, etc. Honestly, if it were me, I would take cheap/fake/replaceable jewelry. I would only take my wedding bands there if there were no stones in them. We each carry different credit cards and split money up between multiple various purses/bags so that if one gets stolen, we're not cashless. We also take copies of our passports.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think others have covered all of the bases with their advice, but I wanted to wish you safe travels and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
Thank you so much! =)2

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great advice from everyone above- my only advice to add is that I would mix up your travel wardrobe between your two cases. That way in case one gets lost, you won’t be missing all of your clothes. I would also suggest packing some extra clothes/underwear etc in your carry on....because if your bags get lost, you could be missing them for a long time. Maybe I’m just unlucky, but Italy is the only place I’ve had major issues with baggage loss.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking things through and would like opinions. I always wear some simple diamond studs (~2ctw), my tennis bracelet (~3ctw), and a 28mm SS/RG DateJust Rolex. DH always wears his 41mm SS/WG DateJust Rolex.

Do you think it’s safe to wear those daily in Italy too?

We have no other watches to bring and would hate to leave the Rolexes behind as we’re both truly “watch people” (vs using our phone for the time). I don’t think my studs are attention getting... they’re pretty reasonable in size. My tennis bracelet I could leave behind if needed, but would like to wear. It has a double secure lock (clasp and hook).

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By wearing these items you are calling the wrong type of attention to yourselves. I guess only you can decide what amount of risk you are comfortable taking. Sounds like an amazing trip!

P

PierreBear

Thanks for sharing! We tried once time as well and waited in this huge line to then get rejected because we didn't have the "right receipt." You need to ask the vendor for a specific VAT receipt. The store receipt wouldn't suffice... or maybe we just had an annoyed person who didn't want to help us.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PierreBear

Thinking things through and would like opinions. I always wear some simple diamond studs (~2ctw), my tennis bracelet (~3ctw), and a 28mm SS/RG DateJust Rolex. DH always wears his 41mm SS/WG DateJust Rolex.

Do you think it’s safe to wear those daily in Italy too?

We have no other watches to bring and would hate to leave the Rolexes behind as we’re both truly “watch people” (vs using our phone for the time). I don’t think my studs are attention getting... they’re pretty reasonable in size. My tennis bracelet I could leave behind if needed, but would like to wear. It has a double secure lock (clasp and hook).

I know this is very different from a Rolex watch but do you have any fitness watches/accessories that tell time? Perhaps that's an easy solution. I know for one of our trips we walked all over the place and tracked where we went. Then we could go on Garmin's website and view where we walked. It was like a bonus souvenir. Plus with the estimated calorie counter, I didn't feel as guilty chowing down on delicious international cuisine!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing! We tried once time as well and waited in this huge line to then get rejected because we didn't have the "right receipt." You need to ask the vendor for a specific VAT receipt. The store receipt would suffice... or maybe we just had an annoyed person who didn't want to help us.
This but of advice also needs to be in the bible of getting international tax refunds. Absolutely YES to this. Sorry I didn’t mention. When you go shopping, have a copy of your passport with you when you make your purchase. Seller needs it to fill out the VAT refund form.

P

PierreBear

Late to this thread and read through a glimpse of everything.... sharing this in case it's applicable to other travelers. I don't travel with my bigger jewelry. Yes it's insured but I get worried about banging it around especially as we might do hikes etc. One time I did decide to bring my eternity wedding band. I'm really gentle on rings but this was the first time in 9 years that it got bent out of shape. I think we were on the bullet train in Japan and due to the force of the acceleration and stops, I grabbed onto the straps and it got out of shape. No problem bringing it to my local jeweler and making the adjustment. In fact, just waited in the store and they rounded it out. However, it makes me consider whether I just wear a plain band for future trips. Good luck and hope that it doesn't happen to anyone else!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh...I would say the people who have stated they didn't have any trouble with pickpockets didn't *notice* the pickpockets.

Having visited over 60 countries, it’s because I’m very aware of my surroundings, that I haven’t been pickpocketed.

Natalie222

Rough_Rock
I know, this thread is old, but I'm also going to visit Italy, so the information given here is useful for me. Also I want to add that I was lucky to find a great source that can provide every traveller with all necessary information https://travelsites.com/. I shared this info in the hope it will be helpful and interesting for someone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results