shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on cornflower sapphire

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
So as many PS-ers have done, I am currently searching for my perfect cornflower blue sapphire. Ideally 1-5-2ct., unheated, silky, and intensely saturated with good clarity.

It's a bit of a tall demand, so I've been talking with 25+ suppliers to find this stone. I've found 3 possible candidates so far w/a potential 4th coming from Inken this week, and I've love to hear everyone's thoughts on the current contenders! P.S. first one was taken by me, hence the horrible quality. It really was very saturated and silky in person!

WeChat Image_20190714095132.jpg
WeChat Image_20190714095140.jpg
sapphire.png

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I like the third one

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
my vote is for the 3rd. the first one seems promising - are there better pictures of it?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I envy your quest.
Multiple photos of each one in different lighting environments is needed, although judging by photo of what we see on our monitors, and knowing how hard it is to take accurate color photos - is subjective at best.

Lastly - and I am assuming a bit on this- I feel you are doing yourself (and more so to the 25 vendors you speak of) a disservice if you are having them all search for stones for you, not just asking to see what they have in their current stock.

Edited for clarity

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
my vote is for the 3rd. the first one seems promising - are there better pictures of it?

The seller sent me a very underwhelming video that was nowhere as beautiful as it was in real life. I actually walked around the shop and it did not blackout in any light; always saturated and blue!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one is going to be closest to the colour you seek but it is silky, the next two will be too denim (particularly the middle stone) in colour IRL to be that vivid cornflower everyone is looking for, you need to get better photos of the last one to double check.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
The first one is going to be closest to the colour you seek but it is silky, the next two will be too denim (particularly the middle stone) in colour IRL to be that vivid cornflower everyone is looking for, you need to get better photos of the last one to double check.

I'm actually going to take a look at it this Tuesday! I've seen the first stone in person already, and I'm excited about the third one.

@Rfisher I usually ask to see if they have any options in their current stock, and if they don't, I move on. I'd say the number of suppliers I actively talk to has dropped down to 4, albeit there's still a bunch in my WeChat who occasionally update me.

voce

Ideal_Rock
The third one looks best to me. Top one is too silky for my taste, and the second one has color zoning that make it less attractive than the third one.

I agree that it's not a good idea having 25 vendors searching for a stone for you. Apart from making a lot of people do work for nothing, it's not good for you, since if these vendors are bidding on the same sapphire from the wholesaler, it would mean a higher cost for you.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher I usually ask to see if they have any options in their current stock, and if they don't, I move on. I'd say the number of suppliers I actively talk to has dropped down to 4, albeit there's still a bunch in my WeChat who ocassionally update me.

I apologize for jumping to conclusion.
I like the silky one.
Still envious of you;)2

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I apologize for jumping to conclusion.
I like the silky one.
Still envious of you;)2

No problem! Sorry for any misunderstandings.

I'm definitely enjoying the search! I get to see something pretty almost everyday! :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely the third one!

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I like the third one.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Number 3

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let us know what happens I'll be interested to see if you liked 3 better than no.1 - no.3 is a bright and open stone, but a different colour to no.1, no.1 is a silky stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Third one because the first looks too silky in a way that might be problematic.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Let us know what happens I'll be interested to see if you liked 3 better than no.1 - no.3 is a bright and open stone, but a different colour to no.1, no.1 is a silky stone.

I'll definitely make sure to keep everyone updated! The 3rd stone was also shot in bright sunlight, so that could also be making the color appear even lighter (plus it looks like it's saturation has been adjusted). Do you think it looks like it has silk?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Third one because the first looks too silky in a way that might be problematic.

Hmm, I see! It's so hard to find a good balance of silk and clarity; most of the times, it seems like it's one or the other.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you happen to have more pictures of the stone you saw in person? Different lightings?

As @lovedogs stated, the silk may be problematic, but that concept is rooted in just what personal preference you like and what look you are going for (and ultimately the asking price)

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Do you happen to have more pictures of the stone you saw in person? Different lightings?

As @lovedogs stated, the silk may be problematic, but that concept is rooted in just what personal preference you like and what look you are going for (and ultimately the asking price)

In dark indoor lighting, it looks like this (but no black band):

WeChat Image_20190714234925.jpg

I think this stone impressed me because it never blacked out, even when I held it under the seller's desk in extremely dark/dim lighting. It's a 1.57 ct. stone that's going for RMB12700 or roughly USD1850ish.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In dark indoor lighting, it looks like this (but no black band):

WeChat Image_20190714234925.jpg

I think this stone impressed me because it never blacked out, even when I held it under the seller's desk in extremely dark/dim lighting. It's a 1.57 ct. stone that's going for RMB12700 or roughly USD1850ish.
I love it in that pic!!! The original pic made it look oddly opaque, but in the indoor light it's lovely. So I might change my vote and recommend you get that one instead of #3!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You say the “black band” isn’t apparent irl.
It’s pretty elongated shape that it is somewhat not rare with and I personally am not of fan if it were.
The second pic Looks to have somewhat a focused light source.
Beggars and choosers saying insert here.
The color of the two pics you posted is dang near my ideal, if the strong lighting isn’t needed to be focused and direct on the stone to be apparent.
My ideals on colors don’t mesh up with most on here tho.
;)2

And what does that GIA report say?

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you feel the color of the pics compare to what you see in real life?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
How do you feel the color of the pics compare to what you see in real life?

In real life, it glows and is a saturated medium tone blue with a tinge of lavender. I didn't think I'd like a long cushion at first, but I think it works for me oddly enough!

@lovedogs thank you for your insights! I was immediately taken by it, especially because it's color in real life is so different from the supplier's pics (very dark). But I'm still undecided lol.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think you need to take your time and see how you feel about each over time. I've never regretted any purchases that I made after giving done tone. On the other hand, I have regretted snap decisions where I tried to grab something I grabbed as a "good deal".

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be interesting to see your pics and thoughts on whatever it is you are getting in from Inken!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results