shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I Replace Pearls with Diamonds in Antique Three Stone Ring?

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I recently acquired this antique platinum three stone ring with pearls. I have been wanting an antique three stone diamond ring forever, and I am hoping I can replace the pearls with OEC diamonds. The side pearls in this ring are 6mm and the center pearl is 7mm. Is this do-able, and if so, how large could I go with the diamonds? (It also needs to be resized to a 5... it is currently size 4.)

My inspiration is @BlingObsession 's stunning antique three stone ring (also pictured below). Her center stone is 1.56ct (7.43 x 7.43 x 4.57mm) with side stones measuring 1.08 and 1.14 carats ( 6.45 x 6.35 x 4.20mm and 6.54 x 6.55 x 4.32mm). Here is her thread: -https://www.pricescope.com/communit...g-5-years-early.208951/#post-3801425#p3801425

IMG_7874.jpg IMG_7872.jpg IMG_7873.jpg IMG_7870.jpg IMG_7871.jpg

dsc_213.jpg
@BlingObsession
dsc_214.jpg
@BlingObsession

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• dsc_214.jpg
    dsc_214.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 14

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a lovely ring. I'm not sure if the settings for pearls/cabochons differs greatly from diamonds but would assume a skilled jeweller would be able to tell you if it's possible...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you would need to consult with a jeweler in terms of whether it can be done and the size of stones you could use. Diamonds, of course, have a much different shape than round pearls and I'm assuming the prong work would need to be redone to accommodate diamonds.

Would be pretty if possible!! Keep us posted!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, you would need to consult with a jeweler in terms of whether it can be done and the size of stones you could use. Diamonds, of course, have a much different shape than round pearls and I'm assuming the prong work would need to be redone to accommodate diamonds.

Would be pretty if possible!! Keep us posted!

Fingers crossed! Here is what it would look like using earrings of the same approximate weight as my inspiration ring (roughly 1 carat sides and 1.5 carat center)... The diamonds look so much bigger than the pearls, so I hope it can be done... I really wouldn't want to go with any smaller stones, and I'm afraid these might be too big. :pray:

IMG_7880.jpg s

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, those look too big.

You said 7mm center and 6mm sides for the pearls, which is equivalent to a 1.25ct center and .80ct sides in MRBs.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Pearl findings generally have posts that glue into a drilled hole in the underside of the pearl. I suspect you will have difficulty converting this to be able to hold diamonds without seriously rebuilding the finding.

Here’s an example of what I mean:

https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...ts/always-diamond-ring-18k-gold-mounting-only

Ugh... it looks like the middle stone might have one of these... but not the side stones. I'm thinking this isn't a good idea. :cry2:

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yeah, those look too big.

You said 7mm center and 6mm sides for the pearls, which is equivalent to a 1.25ct center and .80ct sides in MRBs.

Rats! I was hoping I could squeeze in some slightly larger stones.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps the middle pearl was added later. It appears the three pearls may have originally been the same size? (Shorter prongs on the middle (compared to the pearl, not setting)) and the larger pearl looks a slightly brighter color. This isn’t proof of that, just some observations that had me speculating. Now that you said the middle stone might have the underpin, whereas the outer two do not, also adds to the possibility that it was modified later on. Possibly the outer pearls were orilgonally diamonds?

Whatever it’s personal backstory, your ring is a charming beauty! Keep us posted as you move forward with your project. How exciting!!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Perhaps the middle pearl was added later. It appears the three pearls may have originally been the same size? (Shorter prongs on the middle (compared to the pearl, not setting)) and the larger pearl looks a slightly brighter color. This isn’t proof of that, just some observations that had me speculating. Now that you said the middle stone might have the underpin, whereas the outer two do not, also adds to the possibility that it was modified later on. Possibly the outer pearls were orilgonally diamonds?

Whatever it’s personal backstory, your ring is a charming beauty! Keep us posted as you move forward with your project. How exciting!!

You know, that makes a lot of sense! The side pearls are set much deeper, and I think they look a little awkward... Maybe larger stones could indeed fit there. I hope so, I really would like to make this work!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Send a photo to David Klass and ask. Sometimes it won't work because the basket underneath where the pearls are, is not deep enough to hold the bottom of the diamonds but in this case the setting does look like it has enough vertical height. So it would be a matter of rebuilding the setting and adding prongs to hold the centre stone.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is possible to alter the old ring with pearls to hold diamonds, but the prongs that exist for the pearls will need to be replaced with different prongs which will fit and support the angular edge of the diamonds at a correct height. You might use inserted bezels, partially cut down bezels or thin bezels with more delicate prongs but somethings will need to be done. Depending on how the diamonds will be held in place, the possible diameters that will fit and look pleasing may be somewhat different than the current diameters of the pearls. The widest diameters of the pearls are well above where diamonds would place their widest diameters, much closer to the finger than the pearls. Don't buy the diamonds until you get a really good consult from a jeweler on what can be done and what diameters will be required. It could turn out very lovely.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finding a bench than can do the work nicely - and wants to - will be key.
Throw enough money at anything and it can be done.
I think done well - it will be gorgeous.
Key finding that appropriate bench that wants the task - and finding the stone sizes that will work the best - and those sizes being what you want in the end look, are the tasks.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I wanted to thank everyone for weighing in on this reset and provide an update... I decided to return the ring as it was just going to be too much trouble and no guarantee that the size of diamonds I envisioned would work. A three stone ring is still at the top of my wish list - most likely custom - but for now I am going to focus on my cluster ring: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-7-carat-oec-diamond-reset.249149/ And I will have an update soon! :appl:Thank you again, Pricescope is the best!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wise decision! I loved that setting, but it would not have been easy to convert those prongs for diamonds without messing it up. If it were me, I'd save pictures of the design and have a new setting made for diamonds when you are ready.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes it was smart to go in a different direction. Unless this was a sentimental piece, the cost of conversion probably would not have been worth it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results