shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for Dancing Fire

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
hi DF.
I have a Rolex question for you. My watch runs a little fast, and I’ll get that looked at next servicing but can a dial it back a few minutes to the right time or must I always dial forward?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A key thing to always remember on any mechanical watch (and probably quartz too, now I think about it) is to avoid changing the time around midnight.

The mechanism that changes the datewheel (and/or daywheel) might be engaged and moving the datewheel forward, so if you change the time backwards, it could mess things up!

On that basis, I always try to adjust the time around 6 o'clock on the dial - that should be early/late enough to avoid any date change mechanisms being engaged, and should avoid any question of being AM or PM! :)

re: running fast, it could need a service or it could just be slightly magnetised - if you have a local independent watch shop near you they should be able to run it through the demagnetiser for very little money, which should hopefully fix it.

If it does need a service, make sure to specify what you want when you submit it - i.e. if you want to retain the patina it has on the hands/bracelet/case/dial, state that you do not want anything polished or swapped for new parts. If you don't specify, the service centre will likely polish everything, replace everything that looks worn or has patina, and could in the process remove that 'vintage' feel and originality that Rolex officianados (spelling?) pay big money for on some models.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi DF.
I have a Rolex question for you. My watch runs a little fast, and I’ll get that looked at next servicing but can a dial it back a few minutes to the right time or must I always dial forward?
Yes you can. Just don't adjust the time near midnight or you can pull the crown out anytime of the day and wait a few minutes then push the crown back in at the correct time.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, did you have your Rolexes serviced by an authorized Rolex dealer or send them directly to Rolex?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, did you have your Rolexes serviced by an authorized Rolex dealer or send them directly to Rolex?
MGR. There are 2 Rolex service center in the US one in NYC and one in Dallas. You can ship your Rolex directly to one of these two service centers. These two RSC doesn't sell watches they only services Rolexes. How old is your watch?

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR. There are 2 Rolex service center in the US one in NYC and one in Dallas. You can ship your Rolex directly to one of these two service centers. These two RSC doesn't sell watches they only services Rolexes. How old is your watch?

Can't remember exactly but I'm thinking 8-10 years. No issues with timekeeping yet but I have known some people that use their authorized dealers watchmakers for service rather than shipping it to Rolex. I'm guessing it really needs to go to Rolex though to keep it all 'pure' so to speak.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't remember exactly but I'm thinking 8-10 years. No issues with timekeeping yet but I have known some people that use their authorized dealers watchmakers for service rather than shipping it to Rolex. I'm guessing it really needs to go to Rolex though to keep it all 'pure' so to speak.
Some Rolex ADs have a certified Rolex watchmaker in their store, but if they don't I'd advise you to send it to a Rolex service center.

There are two groups of people on watch forums when it comes to servicing a mechanical watch. One group say have all your mechanical watches service every 5 yrs which I think is BS since all Rolexes now comes with a 5 yrs factory warranty. Another group of people say "if it ain't broken" don't fix it!.

I had a Rolex that I wore for 18 yrs. The watch was never serviced up to the day when it was stolen the watch was keeping ex time, it probably still running today. The watch on my avatar is 12 yrs old (never serviced) it is still keeping ex time at -2 seconds per day.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some Rolex ADs have a certified Rolex watchmaker in their store, but if they don't I'd advise you to send it to a Rolex service center.

There are two groups of people on watch forums when it comes to servicing a mechanical watch. One group say have all your mechanical watches service every 5 yrs which I think is BS since all Rolexes now comes with a 5 yrs factory warranty. Another group of people say "if it ain't broken" don't fix it!.

I had a Rolex that I wore for 18 yrs. The watch was never serviced up to the day when it was stolen the watch was keeping ex time, it probably still running today. The watch on my avatar is 12 yrs old (never serviced) it is still keeping ex time at -2 seconds per day.

Pretty much what I figured - thanks DF!! I did not know, however, that some ADs have certified Rolex watchmakers - I'll have to check on that one. I think for a general overhaul though I'd probably be better off sending it to Rolex.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty much what I figured - thanks DF!! I did not know, however, that some ADs have certified Rolex watchmakers - I'll have to check on that one. I think for a general overhaul though I'd probably be better off sending it to Rolex.
No matter where you have it serviced you are looking at $650 + for a overhaul. Some people like to have their watch case and bracelet repolished and some people don't just to keep it original.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Servicing would mean getting it cleaned and re-oiled, which would help in the longer term.

I guess it's a bit like a car - it will run probably fine without servicing regularly, but a regular service will help it run fine for longer, I reckon!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Servicing would mean getting it cleaned and re-oiled, which would help in the longer term.

I guess it's a bit like a car - it will run probably fine without servicing regularly, but a regular service will help it run fine for longer, I reckon!
Yeah, but the difference is if your watch stops running in the middle of nowhere you wouldn't be in danger, so like I said above there are people in two different camps. #1- "if it ain't broken" don't fix it!. #2- you should have your watch serviced every 5 yrs.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, but the difference is if your watch stops running in the middle of nowhere you wouldn't be in danger, so like I said above there are people in two different camps. #1- "if it ain't broken" don't fix it!. #2- you should have your watch serviced every 5 yrs.
What if you are a saturation diver?

:tongue:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if you are a saturation diver?

:tongue:
Then you wear this watch..:P2 The watch is good up to 12,800 ft under water.

m126660-0002.png

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my son's Rolex broke...it is running fast...I read something about it being magnetized? I don't know, anyway it needs serviced, I am in the midwest and I have been quoted 2 different prices that range from 900 to 1200...the 1200 is from a authorized Rolex dealer...so we can send it directly to the Rolex service center? might be cheaper...this is good info thanks everyone. FYI his is 32 years old and I know it hasnt been serviced in at least 10-15 years could be more...Dad died in 2010 and who knows if/when it was serviced prior to that, my mom has dementia and doesn't remember.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then you wear this watch..:P2 The watch is good up to 12,800 ft under water.

m126660-0002.png
I do like those :razz: but prefer the black dial!

I would argue that one wouldn't be relying on a mechanical watch for saturation dive timekeeping, though! lol

my son's Rolex broke...it is running fast...I read something about it being magnetized? I don't know, anyway it needs serviced, I am in the midwest and I have been quoted 2 different prices that range from 900 to 1200...the 1200 is from a authorized Rolex dealer...so we can send it directly to the Rolex service center? might be cheaper...this is good info thanks everyone. FYI his is 32 years old and I know it hasnt been serviced in at least 10-15 years could be more...Dad died in 2010 and who knows if/when it was serviced prior to that, my mom has dementia and doesn't remember.
Running it through a demagnetiser machine should be the work of a moment and cost very minimal amounts - 20 or 30 dollars, I would have thought, if that.

Find somewhere that does demagnetising before you spend four figures on a service from Rolex! (And also take heed of my earlier warnings re: specifying what you do and don't want done.)

Post a picture of it if you are happy to do so, I know I'd be interested to see it, if no-one else :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$1200 is very possible depending on what (model & parts) the watch needs. Yes you can send it directly to RSC.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A1C8339D-E316-44DE-8812-02A5B80D8707.jpeg 21683CBA-EA50-4A2E-BFD0-E24697826972.jpeg

I need to take better pictures! bottom one with the original jubilee bracelet and the top with the alligator skin rolex band he got to switch it out once in a while...as a FYI that is my arm in both pictures not his..lol...I have big ole arms and hands! and thanks again for the advice I do appreciate it!

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A1C8339D-E316-44DE-8812-02A5B80D8707.jpeg 21683CBA-EA50-4A2E-BFD0-E24697826972.jpeg

I need to take better pictures! bottom one with the original jubilee bracelet and the top with the alligator skin rolex band he got to switch it out once in a while...as a FYI that id my arm in both pictures not his..lol...I have big ole arms and hands!
The watch looks like the exact model that got stolen from me, but mine was a smoke gray colored dial. The watch is likely from the 70's and crystal is made of plastic. Rolex collectors will pay good money for an unpolished original watch.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire wow didn't realize that leaving it original would make it worth more!, the appraisal I have says its a 1987 model and not sure about the crystal..yeah it is unpolished, my son wanted it just like when Grandpa wore it...he was very close with him and it makes him feel like he is wearing a little piece of him, we will never sell it!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire wow didn't realize that leaving it original would make it worth more!, the appraisal I have says its a 1987 model and not sure about the crystal..yeah it is unpolished, my son wanted it just like when Grandpa wore it...he was very close with him and it makes him feel like he is wearing a little piece of him, we will never sell it!
I think by 1990?? most Rolexes came with a synthetic sapphire crystal which is easy to chip but hard to scratch. If you see scratches on top of the crystal then it is likely made of plastic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results