shape
carat
color
clarity

Repurposing ruby earrings into a ring

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
image.jpg hello all, I have been reading on this forum once in a while and I realized as I was thinking about what to do with my ruby earrings, I had the perfect place to ask!

I got these earrings at an estate sale for under $80. Had a feeling they were real but wasn’t sure. Turns out, they are untreated rubies and I think pretty decent in color?

The earrings are too heavy for my ears so I was thinking of getting them made into a ring.
Any interesting ideas on how these earrings could be worked into a ring?
Would love some suggestions on which online custom jeweler would be best to work with?

Thanks so much in advance! 176504A7-E544-417C-A8EF-7B80FD39B67D.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great find! :dance:

Given their size, I’d be inclined to go with a bypass or moi e toi style ring setting, as I (personally) would find them a little big as straight sidestones (e.g., with a diamond in the middle). Maybe the bench you go with could repurpose the diamonds in the earrings as well as accents somehow.

This seems like a good project for David Klass’ bench to undertake, as he’s done a few bypass styles for PSers.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
How big are they anyway? mm dimensions?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you got a great deal on the earrings I would invest in a EC diamond and make it a three stone (or use the rounds in the shank).

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
I have no idea is this quote thing is going to work - but, thank you the_mother_thing for your ideas!

I was also wondering if I could just use one of the earrings and set it east-west, keep it clean? Maybe a small diamond halo? or diamonds on the band?

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Since you got a great deal on the earrings I would invest in a EC diamond and make it a three stone (or use the rounds in the shank).
Would I set the rubies east-west? Or that center diamond would have to be large. . . . yikes.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea is this quote thing is going to work - but, thank you the_mother_thing for your ideas!

I was also wondering if I could just use one of the earrings and set it east-west, keep it clean? Maybe a small diamond halo? or diamonds on the band?

You’re welcome! :wavey:

I think an east-west soli would be a very clean, modern conversion! Maybe have the other ruby set as a pendant ... you might be able to convert the earring as-is (with diamonds) as well to a pendant.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How about making one earring into a pendant and use the other for a ring. You might not want to wear both at the same time, but it would give you two different items to use when the occasion was right.
Alternatively, you might make long drop earrings with two baguettes on each top , round diamonds forming the long drop connector with a ruby dangling. A very different look than the current pair.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
thanks all! are there any custom jewelers besides David Klass that I should consider?

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
or is there a thread for custom jewelers that I can search through?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@eesmom It might be a good idea to first settle on what you want (ring, earring remake, pendant, etc.) and a design/style you want/like, then ask folks who best might have the appropriate skill/experience/bench to create what you want.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
@eesmom It might be a good idea to first settle on what you want (ring, earring remake, pendant, etc.) and a design/style you want/like, then ask folks who best might have the appropriate skill/experience/bench to create what you want.
i am not an earring person so definitely a ring will be the best use. :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would I set the rubies east-west? Or that center diamond would have to be large. . . . yikes.

I like this idea of a three stone, all of them set north-south, and the diamond center the same size as the rubies. That would be a large diamond. Could also do another colored gem though! Red pairs so well with a variety of colors.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I'd ask Victor Canera what he thinks--this style is right up his alley. He'll be more expensive than David Klass, but his designs are all hand forged (higher quality).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for a bypass ring.
DK :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a great find!!!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make one a Pendant set as is, and the other a smoking hot three-stone ring ala Harry Winston with tapered baguettes.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Make one a Pendant set as is, and the other a smoking hot three-stone ring ala Harry Winston with tapered baguettes.
I do love tapered baguettes! That is an excellent idea, simple and classic!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing find, some people get all the luck! :dance:

I vote for a ring & a matching pendant.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love repurposing
i follow a lady called Calla Gold
she does amazing repurposing

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
image.jpg hello all, I have been reading on this forum once in a while and I realized as I was thinking about what to do with my ruby earrings, I had the perfect place to ask!

I got these earrings at an estate sale for under $80. Had a feeling they were real but wasn’t sure. Turns out, they are untreated rubies and I think pretty decent in color?

The earrings are too heavy for my ears so I was thinking of getting them made into a ring.
Any interesting ideas on how these earrings could be worked into a ring?
Would love some suggestions on which online custom jeweler would be best to work with?

Thanks so much in advance! 176504A7-E544-417C-A8EF-7B80FD39B67D.jpeg
do you have a daughter or a sister?
you could get two rings made
one for you and one for a much loved other

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results