shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing a Radiant 'in real life'

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Hi everybody,

This is my first time posting after quite a while lurking around...

I am hoping for some advice on how to choose a radiant diamond when seeing it 'in real life'. I am set on a radiant (elongated, not square), and have been looking at sites like James Allen for months and trying to get my head around ideal proportions, etc. However, I live in New Zealand, and have decided that buying online is not for me and I need to see the stones in person before deciding.

Bearing this is mind and the size of the New Zealand market, I think it's realistic that my jeweller will only be able to get a few stones in for me to look at. I don't want to reject them all, but I also want a good diamond! Therefore, I would be grateful for any advice on how to choose or rule out a stone when looking at it in person. I am aware that with radiants the cut will not be graded, so this makes it more difficult as I know that cut is the most important thing!

My ideal specs are:
0.8 carat
G-H colour
VS2 or a good SI1
Excellent polish and symmetry
I prefer the 'strong' type facets rather than too crushed-ice/mushy looking.

Any advice, or links to nice stones online that I can use as a reference, would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: AV_

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully one of the PSers in NZ will chime in here to perhaps suggest local ideas/recommendations to help you choose your jeweler if you’re not settled on one just yet.

I’m not a radiant cut guru, so cannot advise what is/is not a ‘good one’. But it’d probably be wise to specify to your jeweler that he/she only call in GIA graded diamonds so that you reliably know what you’re looking at with each one. Then, if any of them strike your fancy, I’d suggest taking note of the GIA numbers as well as a couple pictures of the diamonds if possible, and posting them here perhaps for comment/opinions, if time allows. If the jeweler asks, just let him/her know you want to share them with a friend for their opinion (that’s not a lie).

I would suggest asking your jeweler if he has an ASET scope you can use to view them, or if not, buying an ASET scope prior to having your jeweler call in any stones so you have it in-hand when the diamonds are available for viewing, and you can take your time reading up on how to use it, what to look for, etc. I would also suggest you print a few pictures as examples of radiants featuring the cut style you’re after and showing them to him/her before they call in any stones (as well as one or two that you do NOT want); that way, he/she doesn’t waste their time or yours due to misunderstanding terminology associated with the different radiant cut styles.

Lastly, be sure you view each diamond not only in the fancy store lighting, but ask the jeweler (before you just walk off) to view them in a darker corner of the store, and outdoors in direct and indirect natural lighting as well so you can see how they perform in various light settings. He/she may prefer to accompany you outside for obvious security purposes, so don’t be surprised or put off if so.

Here are a couple threads with radiant diamonds and ASET images discussed so you can know what to look for as well as what to look out for (warning signs) if you get/use the ASET. Just be aware that - within these threads - there are different styles of radiant cuts, so the faceting will look different from stone to stone depending on the cut style you’re after, but the idea is to learn what to look for, what the colors typically mean, and what is a reasonable amount of leakage/white when you are looking at them yourself.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinions-on-these-radiant-cut-aset-images.238065/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinion-on-radiant-cut-diamond-aset-included.216055/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/radiant-aset-thoughts.235806/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/radiant-aset-assessment.249068/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-i-get-some-feedback-on-this-radiant-aset.203611/

Hope this helps; best of luck in your search! If you find that working with the local jeweler isn’t producing the results in your budget that you’d like and you would like help looking online and narrowing down potential options, just know there are a lot of folks on here who will happily help find options in your specs/budget. It may not seem as scary a prospect (buying a diamond online) if you have the help of the knowledgeable forum members here to help out. :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to share that info with your jeweler...that you want strong, larger facets vs crushed ice (small/tiny) facets.
Here are a few radiants I that have "strong" facets IMO. Is this what you are looking for? I suggest you show your jeweler specific pictures of what
kind of cut you are looking for. Typically elongated radiants will be crushed ice. If not, they will have a strong center of facets in the shape of a bow-tie
(but not dark...so not bad). You may have to pick what you want. There may be what some people consider downsides to a non-crushed ice elongated
radiant. You need to let your jeweler know the ratio you are looking for. Show him pictures/links of stones you like and tell him why.

When I use the term bow-tie shape below I dont mean it in the negative sense as in a dark bow-tie. I just mean it in the sense it is a bow-tie shape.

Here are some stones with verbiage (my opinion) that you can use to help figure out what you want.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true Is this elongated
enough? Has strong facets.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true Elongated but
not mushy...has bow-tie (non-dark nice facets).
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true (ignore the carbon
and just look at the faceting pattern) larger, non-mushy facets, no bow-tie shaped area...elongated. I think this is the kind of faceting you should be looking
for according to what you have said...(is it?)

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true non-crushed
ice but smaller facets.

Radiants can have large flat tables with low crowns...I would try to look for smaller tables with a little more crown to it. Hope the above info helps you to
narrow down what you are looking for and I hope your jeweler can find it for you. Good luck!

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Then, if any of them strike your fancy, I’d suggest taking note of the GIA numbers as well as a couple pictures of the diamonds if possible, and posting them here perhaps for comment/opinions, if time allows. If the jeweler asks, just let him/her know you want to share them with a friend for their opinion (that’s not a lie).

I would suggest asking your jeweler if he has an ASET scope you can use to view them, or if not, buying an ASET scope prior to having your jeweler call in any stones so you have it in-hand when the diamonds are available for viewing, and you can take your time reading up on how to use it, what to look for, etc. I would also suggest you print a few pictures as examples of radiants featuring the cut style you’re after and showing them to him/her before they call in any stones (as well as one or two that you do NOT want); that way, he/she doesn’t waste their time or yours due to misunderstanding terminology associated with the different radiant cut styles.

Thank you for your reply. Noting down the GIA numbers is a great idea!

Do you think they think I'm a bit weird if I turn up with an ASET scope? Especially since the jeweller I'd like to use mostly makes big, expensive, amazing jewllery and our ring will be pretty small fry for them (I don't even know yet if they'd make my ring because I don't know if they have a minimum price which might be above our budget).

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true (ignore the carbon
and just look at the faceting pattern) larger, non-mushy facets, no bow-tie shaped area...elongated. I think this is the kind of faceting you should be looking
for according to what you have said...(is it?)
Thanks! Yes, this one is pretty much what I had in mind, in terms of how the facets look in the video.
Would this kind of pattern produce a nice sparkly diamond? Or should I revise what I'm looking for?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reply. Noting down the GIA numbers is a great idea!

Do you think they think I'm a bit weird if I turn up with an ASET scope? Especially since the jeweller I'd like to use mostly makes big, expensive, amazing jewllery and our ring will be pretty small fry for them (I don't even know yet if they'd make my ring because I don't know if they have a minimum price which might be above our budget).

You’re welcome! I don’t think they will think you’re weird. If they are that fancy and high-end, I would think they should/would appreciate you’re caring about cut quality.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! Yes, this one is pretty much what I had in mind, in terms of how the facets look in the video.
Would this kind of pattern produce a nice sparkly diamond? Or should I revise what I'm looking for?

This one looks to have larger facet that will be flashing on/off as the stone moves (sparkle). An Aset image would tell more. Show your jeweler a picture
of that stone so he knows what to look for. You can also look at BlueNile and other websites (James Allen) to find other stones to show your jeweler.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
How many diamonds would you expect a jeweller to bring it at any one time for someone to look at?
I'm worried I'll be given, say, 3 to look at, choose a stone that seems the best, but somewhere out there was one much better...

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
I would hope for five, expect three & ask to begin with.

By the way,

The most interesting radiants I am finding are square-ish:

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD11617479

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12514721

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD04967733

The last one would be my choice, if I could only call in a single stone.
Thank you for finding those.
The last one definitely has a bold facet pattern unlike others I've seen. It is too square for me though.

Five sounds like hopefully enough to make a good choice. I watched some youtube videos from Good Old Gold like this one
and it's easy to see the sparkle etc so close up - I assume it's through a microscope or something? What are the chances of getting views like this at a jeweller's shop?

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to add this thread. There is a picture of radiant cut ASET images posted by @Matthews1127 for your reference.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-carat-radiant-cut.242820/

You will also find my radiant on page #4. It's an Original Radiant Cut which is no longer exist in the market. It has a 1:34 ratio. It does not have the chunky facets you are after but I thought you could see the elongated look if needed.

To best honest, I bought my radiant in person and before joining PS. Had no idea what ASET was back then but I still enjoy my diamond, hence Rad_Fan is my ID;)2. It's important to see the diamond in person, which you plan to do anyway. I guess it might not be as important to have an ASET tool because it's not an online purchase.

Just my 2 cents.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I think, given that you don’t even know if the jeweler will do a ring this size, that you should probably find out if they even do source diamonds separately from settings and bring them in for customers.

Not all jewelers do, especially “named” jewelers.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
You could do everything online.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

WWW has an apparently brighter twin with slightly rounded corners - WWW

I tend to expect not much from radiants - so the above-mentioned are good surprises.

2p (of fun!)

- then, this is another type of rectangular cut - www that might happen to be available

Last edited:

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
You will also find my radiant on page #4. It's an Original Radiant Cut which is no longer exist in the market. It has a 1:34 ratio. It does not have the chunky facets you are after but I thought you could see the elongated look if needed.
Your ring is amazing! I'm super jealous! I'll have a detailed read of that thread, thank you.

I think, given that you don’t even know if the jeweler will do a ring this size, that you should probably find out if they even do source diamonds separately from settings and bring them in for customers.

Not all jewelers do, especially “named” jewelers.
They definitely do that, so no problems there.

You could do everything online.
I could, but I'm too scared, for a number of reasons including the hassle with import duties and the fact that radiant cuts are so difficult to assess without seeing in person.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
and it's easy to see the sparkle etc so close up - I assume it's through a microscope or something? What are the chances of getting views like this at a jeweller's shop?

I have no idea how GOG take their videos. They might zoomed in to get a better look of the diamonds, but might not take it behind the microscope...:confused:?

Also wanted to add that I picked out my rad. after seeing 6. The vendor brought in 3 per visit. I am also very attracted to that elongated shape.

I suggest to look at as many as you could in person locally, if nothing pops, get online.

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi @Whisper89 from a fellow Kiwi ::) Whereabouts are you? If you’re in Auckland then the only place I’ve found that understands cut quality is Jewellers Workshop on High Street. They have an idealscope viewer (though I think it’s branded as they sell the Passion8 hearts and arrows brand). Perhaps give them a bell or email, they could help call in stones for your search? David Worth the owner seems really relaxed and not pushy on the sales front. They can do custom settings too and all the GST is sorted out for you as they’re based here. Good luck with your search!

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Whisper89 from a fellow Kiwi ::) Whereabouts are you? If you’re in Auckland then the only place I’ve found that understands cut quality is Jewellers Workshop on High Street. They have an idealscope viewer (though I think it’s branded as they sell the Passion8 hearts and arrows brand). Perhaps give them a bell or email, they could help call in stones for your search? David Worth the owner seems really relaxed and not pushy on the sales front. They can do custom settings too and all the GST is sorted out for you as they’re based here. Good luck with your search!
Hi =)2
I'll check them out, thanks!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox any other suggestions for Kiwi jewellers as from memory you’re also from “across the ditch”.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox any other suggestions for Kiwi jewellers as from memory you’re also from “across the ditch”.
Ooh, probably depends on where @Whisper89 is but in Christchurch, Polished Diamonds is good and use GIA diamonds. They should be able to source them too. They resized my ering for me.
I use Canterbury Jewellers for repairs and they made my you et moi. I don’t think they source diamonds and they’re a bit no-frills but they’re good.
My DH’s wedding band is from Partridge Jewellers. They make all their own jewellery and have lovely pieces.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and suggestions.

One other question. While reading threads I see some preference among experts for AGS certified diamonds over GIA as they offer slightly different details/calculations/are more discerning. Are these advantages for round brilliant cuts only? I've never seen an AGS diamond here, only GIA - is this a drawback when looking at radiants?

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and suggestions.

One other question. While reading threads I see some preference among experts for AGS certified diamonds over GIA as they offer slightly different details/calculations/are more discerning. Are these advantages for round brilliant cuts only? I've never seen an AGS diamond here, only GIA - is this a drawback when looking at radiants?

That's a good question. I just eyeballed the AGS site and didn't see anything specific. I have only saw GIA certed radiants. My understanding is that there is no set of perfect standard/calculation for fancy cut diamonds, so buyers need to see the stones and inspect them in person before making the purchase.

Maybe someone else would comment on this.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think AGS does light performance grading on radiants which would be of use to folks who want the best performing radiant cut. I distinctly remember seeing an AGS grading report online for a radiant a while back. Unless I got it confused with a cushion or princess.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@Whisper89, I found these 4, WWW, that are certed by AGS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results