shape
carat
color
clarity

Differences between these six prong settings and why you chose your particular setting

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Posted this on the wrong section so I am reposting here. Thank you!!

I am really loving the six prong setting now and want to change to six prong with my next upgrade. What are the main differences and what you like and don’t like about:
1. Whiteflash classic six prong
2. Whiteflash elegant solitaire
3. Vatche U113- much more expensive than the first two. How do people justify paying the cost difference? Better made? Closest to Tiffany setting?
4. CVB’s Jovyn - just as expensive as the Vatche and would be a hassle to ship the diamond to her. Would be great if the setting can be shipped to Whiteflash instead.

Thank you!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am biased, of course, but I chose CVB's Jovyn because I was in love with the classic Tiffany setting. To me, Caysie's iteration is like Tiffany, but much more refined -- and you can tweak it to your liking (prongs, height, width, etc). For example, my Jovyn has petite tab prongs reminiscent of vintage Tiffany & Co.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I am biased, of course, but I chose CVB's Jovyn because I was in love with the classic Tiffany setting. To me, Caysie's iteration is like Tiffany, but much more refined -- and you can tweak it to your liking (prongs, height, width, etc). For example, my Jovyn has petite tab prongs reminiscent of vintage Tiffany & Co.
Thanks, @msop04. Did you keep the same height? Also, did you have Whiteflash send the stone to Caysie? Any reason why it can’t be the other way around?

Thanks.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a WF ACA in a Jovyn. I had Caysie send the empty setting to Whiteflash and their bench set it for me. The prongs were not as nice as Caysie's bench but I did not want to have the diamond shipped back and forth because I live outside the US and I was told that Whiteflash could not provide (insured?) shipping to a third party. Still, the peace of mind was worth it.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
"3. Vatche U113- much more expensive than the first two. How do people justify paying the cost difference? Better made? Closest to Tiffany setting?"

We looked at simple platinum settings online and immediately liked the U-113 the most.
Once I got over the shock of planning a wedding :o at my advanced age (and paying $20,000+ for a ring), a few hundred more for a setting wasn't even noticed. I still don't know how much more it cost.

When I was younger a few hundred more would have been a very big deal.

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
I was looking at all 4 settings, and had the Classic as a temporary setting until I picked one (Vatche U113). I handled the Classic, Elegant, and Vatche U113 settings in my hands. I think it depends on your own preferences on the basket style and what looks best with your stone. If you're looking for something that looks very similar to the classic Tiffany solitaire setting, then Vatche U113 is extremely close. I think it looks better than the Tiffany setting. :whistle:

I found the Classic had a more architectural (straight lines) basket whereas Elegant and U113 had more organic (swoopy lines) baskets. The Classic seemed to "cradle" the diamond with all 6 prongs touching the girdle and pavillion. My U113 seems to hold the diamond by the girdle and suspend it in the basket. Both settings let me easily see the culet of the diamond (which I like!).

If this is going to be a permanent setting or a daily ring, and you like the Joyvn or U113, the extra cost is fairly marginal over the years. Pick what your heart desires!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @msop04. Did you keep the same height? Also, did you have Whiteflash send the stone to Caysie? Any reason why it can’t be the other way around?

Thanks.

I had Caysie do her thing regarding height... the only thing I requested was petite tab prongs. My stone isn't from WF, so she set it. Since her prongwork is exemplary, I think I would have her set the stone, if I were in your position. :)

ETA: I did have her set the stone pretty low, because my stone is larger and I didn't want it to be so high... That said, I think it is perfection.

Another ETA: Now that I think about it, I really didn't request it to be set "low" per se... I just mentioned that I hated the temp setting because it was so high... then Caysie sent the CAD and it was perfection on the very first iteration!

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some angles so you can see the Jovyn... I love the way it tapers to a sharper knife edge as it gets to the basket, but is super smooth and comfortable as it goes down, rounding off to a super soft "barely there" edge.

CVB Soli Blue Capsules 5.jpg
CVB Soli Blue Capsules 6.jpg CVB Soli Stack_1.jpg CVB with G&Co Stacker.jpg

Attachments

• CVB Soli Blue Capsules 7.jpg
    CVB Soli Blue Capsules 7.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 127

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I have a WF ACA in a Jovyn. I had Caysie send the empty setting to Whiteflash and their bench set it for me. The prongs were not as nice as Caysie's bench but I did not want to have the diamond shipped back and forth because I live outside the US and I was told that Whiteflash could not provide (insured?) shipping to a third party. Still, the peace of mind was worth it.
@mochiko42 - thanks for the insight. That’s helpful.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
"3. Vatche U113- much more expensive than the first two. How do people justify paying the cost difference? Better made? Closest to Tiffany setting?"

We looked at simple platinum settings online and immediately liked the U-113 the most.
Once I got over the shock of planning a wedding :o at my advanced age (and paying $20,000+ for a ring), a few hundred more for a setting wasn't even noticed. I still don't know how much more it cost.

When I was younger a few hundred more would have been a very big deal.
Thanks, @Johnbt - the difference is much more than a few hundred dollars though. More like $1250 compared to the classic and $750 for the elegant.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking at all 4 settings, and had the Classic as a temporary setting until I picked one (Vatche U113). I handled the Classic, Elegant, and Vatche U113 settings in my hands. I think it depends on your own preferences on the basket style and what looks best with your stone. If you're looking for something that looks very similar to the classic Tiffany solitaire setting, then Vatche U113 is extremely close. I think it looks better than the Tiffany setting. :whistle:

I found the Classic had a more architectural (straight lines) basket whereas Elegant and U113 had more organic (swoopy lines) baskets. The Classic seemed to "cradle" the diamond with all 6 prongs touching the girdle and pavillion. My U113 seems to hold the diamond by the girdle and suspend it in the basket. Both settings let me easily see the culet of the diamond (which I like!).

If this is going to be a permanent setting or a daily ring, and you like the Joyvn or U113, the extra cost is fairly marginal over the years. Pick what your heart desires!
Thanks, @southernicetea. It would be for daily use for sure. I wear my diamond almost daily when I go out and feel naked without it hahahaha. I like seeing culet, as well. The Jovyn would be my choice but the shipping of the diamond back and forth is making me think twice.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some angles so you can see the Jovyn... I love the way it tapers to a sharper knife edge as it gets to the basket, but is super smooth and comfortable as it goes down, rounding off to a super soft "barely there" edge.

CVB Soli Blue Capsules 5.jpg
CVB Soli Blue Capsules 6.jpg CVB Soli Stack_1.jpg CVB with G&Co Stacker.jpg

@msop04 - thank you! I searched for pics of your ring too! I love your ring!!! I want to be able to see the culet though so I would like to set it just a little higher. Plus, my very max diameter for my lifestyle would be 8.4mm although I would love a bigger one. Who wouldn’t, right? Hahaha.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
"the difference is much more than a few hundred dollars though. More like $1250 compared to the classic and $750 for the elegant."

I said I didn't know. =)2 I wasn't kidding.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently upgraded my stone to a WF ACA with this setting that WF changed to a 6 prong Tiffany setting with claw prongs, I believe is cost 1,230.00$ USD (setting is in platinum). I looked at the Jovyn but I tend to like cathedral setting, it gives the stone a bit more coverage in being knocked about, that is my preference. WF called my setting:

Item: Semi-Custom Ring
Semi-Custom Platinum Sleek Line Solitaire with 6 Prong Tiffany Style Head
*Please thin and taper prongs as much as possible to avoid any bulk
*Please do claw style prongs

The ring cost $1260.00 (less 36.00$ for wire paying).

I love this setting I couldn't be happier, the setting is perfect. It looks a lot like the Jovyn and close to the same price for sure.

ring2a.jpg ring1a.jpg ringo2.jpg

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
@Tekate- Beautiful forever ring:). Decisions, decisions. I haven’t found my next upgrade yet but I’ve been looking and comparing some stones at WF. I just want have decided on a setting once I find the stone I want :). So hard to choose just based on pictures. I wish I can see and hold them to get a feel of what I’d like best. Thank you!! Enjoy your forever ring!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 - thank you! I searched for pics of your ring too! I love your ring!!! I want to be able to see the culet though so I would like to set it just a little higher. Plus, my very max diameter for my lifestyle would be 8.4mm although I would love a bigger one. Who wouldn’t, right? Hahaha.

You could absolutely have it set higher, for sure!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently upgraded my stone to a WF ACA with this setting that WF changed to a 6 prong Tiffany setting with claw prongs, I believe is cost 1,230.00$ USD (setting is in platinum). I looked at the Jovyn but I tend to like cathedral setting, it gives the stone a bit more coverage in being knocked about, that is my preference. WF called my setting:

Item: Semi-Custom Ring
Semi-Custom Platinum Sleek Line Solitaire with 6 Prong Tiffany Style Head
*Please thin and taper prongs as much as possible to avoid any bulk
*Please do claw style prongs

The ring cost $1260.00 (less 36.00$ for wire paying).

I love this setting I couldn't be happier, the setting is perfect. It looks a lot like the Jovyn and close to the same price for sure.

ring2a.jpg ring1a.jpg ringo2.jpg

This is a beautiful setting and very close to the Jovyn... AAMAF, if the Jovyn was set higher, you could have holes where the shank meets the basket and look very similar!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, here is my wife's Vatche Royal Crown 119. I wouldn't mind if it was set a bit higher (maybe like 1mm?), but the other hand if you set it too high your ring will get caught/bang on stuff a lot easier. ..i.e like your car door.

IMG_3993.jpg

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, here is my wife's Vatche Royal Crown 119. I wouldn't mind if it was set a bit higher (maybe like 1mm?), but the other hand if you set it too high your ring will get caught/bang on stuff a lot easier. ..i.e like your car door.

IMG_3993.jpg
@Dancing Fire - oh that’s very pretty. I’ll have to check that one out. Thank you!!

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
Here's my Vatche U113. I didn't tell them how to set the diamond, but you can see the culet here.

fullsizeoutput_777.jpeg

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, @southernicetea. Wow, that looks fairly high. Do you know how tall it is? I’m afraid I’d find myself banging or whacking it on tables, desks, door handles, etc. Do you have any issues with that? Thank you so much.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
@southernicetea - here’s a profile of my legato sleek which I think is a medium height. I think the Vatche U113 seems much higher than the legato because the prongs all stand on their own while the legato’s shank goes up on the sides? Would love to know the height measurement of both. I don’t see the height measurements listed on WF. I guess I should ask Brittany. Thanks so much for sharing your picture. Your ring looks beautiful on your finger.

upload_2019-6-26_22-33-34.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-26_22-29-59.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-26_22-29-59.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 132

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
@southernicetea - here’s a profile of my legato sleek which I think is a medium height. I think the Vatche U113 seems much higher than the legato because the prongs all stand on their own while the legato’s shank goes up on the sides? Would love to know the height measurement of both. I don’t see the height measurements listed on WF. I guess I should ask Brittany. Thanks so much for sharing your picture. Your ring looks beautiful on your finger.

upload_2019-6-26_22-33-34.jpeg

Thank you, @Dmndsr4evr11 ! I don't have calipers and just measured with my trusty ol' ruler. From bottom of donut to top of crown, it's about 9mm. Knock on wood, I haven't banged it into anything. I have more of an issue with spinning, but that's the curse of big knuckles.

Here is the other view. It does look taller than the Legato, doesn't it?
IMG_4402.JPG

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, @Dmndsr4evr11 ! I don't have calipers and just measured with my trusty ol' ruler. From bottom of donut to top of crown, it's about 9mm. Knock on wood, I haven't banged it into anything. I have more of an issue with spinning, but that's the curse of big knuckles.

IMG_4402.JPG
Thanks so much, @southernicetea. That picture definitely provides a great perspective.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_3993.jpg
Yup, here is my wife's Vatche Royal Crown 119. I wouldn't mind if it was set a bit higher (maybe like 1mm?), but the other hand if you set it too high your ring will get caught/bang on stuff a lot easier. ..i.e like your car door

Hi @Dancing Fire, I just checked out this setting at WF. I love the swooping basket but the shank is too thick for me at 2.8mm. I’d love a thinner shank 1.9 to 2mm max. Thanks.

IMG_3993.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_4402.JPG

Compared to all the other U-113's I've seen, this one looks like it is set extremely high... just FYI, @Dmndsr4evr11...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, you may want to seek out photos/threads of the U-113 set with stones similar in size to yours to get a better idea of the normal setting height...

Here is @diamondseeker2006's with her old 1.5 ct stone:
img_4908-jpg.400361

Here is @cchloe's with a 2.6 ct stone:
screen_shot_2016-04-26_at_3_1-png.583812

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will agree with @msop04 that I have never seen a Vatche U113 set as high as southernicetea's. Normally, the problem with some of the Tiffany repros is that they are set really low. Vatche normally does a nice medium height. You should not normally see the culet in a 6 prong Tiffany style setting, though. I'd go for a different style if I wanted a high setting, but I prefer medium height, usually. When a diamond is set too low, sometimes the wedding band rubs against the prongs. I've been totally happy with my U113 but I do plan to reset into a more antique style solitaire to compliment the diamond.

Here's a side view with my avatar picture diamond which is 8.4mm. Excuse the ring snuggie. It was loose at the time I took that picture for someone. Incidentally, my ring is 6 years old and has not needed to be polished at all. The tiny doughnut keeps the wedding band from rubbing against it.

IMG_0656.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results