shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a spinel, how's this one?

voce

Ideal_Rock
@StephanieLynn I'd describe all three you lately posted as violet or purple, not lavender. They all look very saturated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lavender is subjective actually. I’d classify them as lavender. Aside from some pinkish hues, lavender can also be a pale violet.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know color can be subjective, so what I might consider lavender might be someone else's purple. I'm just ordering stones to see them in person and find what appeals because it seems getting them in front of my eyes is the only way to figure it out.

Actually the sapphire from Gene was listed as lilac, to me that is definitely a pinkish purple, ideally my goal is to be more on the blue side.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DDE3A0E8-2537-4EAD-962C-D5149C19F338.jpeg
Various shades of grayish lavender and one violet spinels. However, buy what you like.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are so pretty @T L!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’re very grayish, but thank you! Most of them are Sri Lankan.

You know I'm starting to think that gray doesn't actually bother me. What bothered me was the brownish murkiness that would come out in the pink sapphire I had. I actually find grayish stones in the bluish purple family quite appealing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know I'm starting to think that gray doesn't actually bother me. What bothered me was the brownish murkiness that would come out in the pink sapphire I had. I actually find grayish stones in the bluish purple family quite appealing.
Many people like or don’t mind grayish stones. I’m like you, brown in gems really bugs me.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was doing my daily gem hunt (purple spinels should be here tomorrow) and came across this sapphire. From off the vendor list and I have ordered from them before but still have a hard time evaluating their pictures.

This is a light purple sapphire GIA code 3/4 hue is purple, tone is light and saturation is moderately strong 6.30mm heat treated clarity is slightly included.

I've been trying to avoid overseas vendors because possibly having to return is a PIA, I also have a difficult time with sapphires...windows, veils and the like.

If anyone thinks it looks worthy considering let me know.

IMG_5348.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That window is horrible.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L okay thought so, that's out then.

I hope I'm not making you guys crazy!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinels are here! I have named them Biggie and Smalls for identification sake. Right off the bat, Smalls is going back, the inclusion in the sun is too apparent.

Biggie has great color and super sparkles BUT how about those inclusions? I can't find my macro lens so these are the best pics I could get, they dont break the surface.

These came from Gemrite, Biggie was $190 and Smalls $95

Biggie on top, Smalls on bottom
IMG_5404.JPG
Sleepy Smalls
IMG_5405.JPG

Small's inclusion in sun
IMG_5409.JPG
Biggie in shade
IMG_5413.JPG
Biggie in sun
IMG_5414.JPG
Biggie closer up
IMG_5415.JPG
Biggie in car
IMG_5417.JPG
Biggie's inclusion
IMG_5418.JPG
Indoor Biggie under lamp inclusion
IMG_5423.JPG
Biggie in future setting
IMG_5406.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say if the inclusion doesn’t bug you, keep Biggie. You like the color and it meets your requirements. I think the price is reasonable.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the names you have picked for these gems! I like the looks of Biggie :kiss2:. Can you see the inclusions when Biggie is placed in the setting? He looks pretty eye clean in that particular photo to me.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reassurance @T L :wavey:

@2Neezers, it's funny you ask because sometimes I think I see the inclusions in Biggie in the setting indoors but then it kind of disappears. Also I have to really look close, in real life I won't have my ring up to my eye you know?

voce

Ideal_Rock
The prices are good, but what I see is gray, gray, gray from your pictures. The bigger one looks better under the sun, so that's the one that you should keep if you can overlook the inclusion. I'm somebody who thinks of inclusions as "beauty marks" of the gemstone so I don't mind it as long as they don't distract too much from the stone, but masks like gray or brown affect the entire stone, so I'm pickier about those.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She said she wants a grayish stone. At least it keeps the price down, and some people really like grayish spinels. :))

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I get that gray bothers some but I will deal with gray rather than shelling out $800-$1,000.

Brownish though, I can't deal with :snooty:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What size range are looking for? Sorry if you already mentioned that and I missed it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like Biggie, but if you decide you want to see what else is out there, Sukrita at Aurelia Gems (the retail site for Prima Gems) might have something. They have a lot of inventory that doesn’t get listed because they go to trade shows with it. They have a pair of grey/lavender earrings listed here, so they might have loose rounds too:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/655052...h_query=Spinel&ref=shop_items_search_33&frs=1

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thanks for the suggestion @2Neezers! I do have one more package on the way but it won't be here until next week, if it's at all promising I will share when it arrives.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results