color
clarity

Meghan Markle updates her wedding set

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s the same center stone and it looks like she just added a pave band. The yellow gold wedding ring is from the Welsh chunk they all get bands from. The eternity is a first year anniversary present from Harry.

I like my stacks a tad mismatched, so I think it’s fine.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, also, like very delicate bands so I understand where she is coming from. If Harry gave her a band as a gift after having their child, she has to wear that band, so she may as well make her engagement ring match it. She cannot change the stones in her engagement ring without taking away from the sentiments with which Harry proposed, after all*, so this seems to me to be an extremely pragmatic-if not Royal-solution.

AGBF

*No constant upgrading of her e-ring for Meghan! She cannot do what we Pricescopers do. She's stuck with those three stones for her e-ring, even though she can acquire other jewelry.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I, also, like very delicate bands so I understand where she is coming from. If Harry gave her a band as a gift after having their child, she has to wear that band, so she may as well make her engagement ring match it. She cannot change the stones in her engagement ring without taking away from the sentiments with which Harry proposed, after all*, so this seems to me to be an extremely pragmatic-if not Royal-solution.

AGBF

*No constant upgrading of her e-ring for Meghan! She cannot do what we Pricescopers do. She's stuck with those three stones for her e-ring, even though she can acquire other jewelry.
i know what you say makes sence to us ....
i just hope the tabloids drop it now

The e-ring hasn't changed. That photo is just from a different angle of the same ring, so it looks a little different.

In fact it doesn't look as if anything has really been changed at all, other than the addition of the anniversary/eternity band. The e-ring won't ever change, because that's just not what "Royals" do. Practically every one of them still have their original e-rings, since they were, for the most part and with only a couple of notable exceptions, especially designed for them by their grooms-to-be. If ANYBODY had the wherewithal to "upgrade" their rings to massive D-Fl diamonds, they surely do, but have they? Nope. Even the Queen herself still has her original from Prince Philip. The stone for that one came from one of his mother's tiaras. You just can't "upgrade" something like that.

The son's wives - with a couple of obvious exceptions - are still wearing their original e-rings, and original wedding bands, which as mentioned previously, all come from Welsh gold "nuggets" - more like ingots, considering their size - which were gifted to the Queen in the past, for various occasions, but for one particular purpose. The original ran out (I think) with Diana in 1981, and then more was gifted to Queen Elizabeth for a couple of significant anniversaries over time since then.

Its also refined, and alloyed to 22kt or 23kt yellow Welsh gold, which, as gold goes, is still just gold, with the significance actually coming from its source, (being "Great Britain" gold, instead of sourced from other countries) not its content.

They don't seem to go in for "upgrading" engagement rings and wedding bands, because, my goodness, why would they want to? :think:They already have access to some of the most gorgeous, and expensive, jewels already assembled in the world to wear for "official" occasions when they are on display to the rest of the world, so why would they want to spend their clothing/adornment budget on that?

Besides, the sentimental value they attach to their engagement and wedding rings simply cannot be upgraded. Even the future Queen, Catherine, AFAIK, has only added an anniversary band of her own, a gift from hubby, to her world-famous sapphire e-ring and simple yellow gold 2-1/2 - 3mm wedding band. How could you possibly "upgrade" something like that sapphire? It's already reached the point of being priceless. :$$):

And, if you've noticed, doing the "mixed-metals" thing is something that's been going on for almost a century with them. All the way back to 1923, when the Queen Mother got married, and got the first Welsh gold wedding band to wear with her engagement ring; then the current Queen in 1947, and onward.

Practically all Royal e-rings have been set in platinum or 18kt white gold, with a couple of exceptions, (I think Sarah's (Fergie's) ruby ring was set in yellow), and then every Royal wedding band has been yellow gold, being from the Welsh gold ingot gifted to the Queen at the time. So, mixing up metals has been the standard. But this latest set for Meghan - ahem, the Duchess of Sussex - has been a matched metals set, because yellow gold is her favorite.

I wouldn't put much stock in anything the Daily Mail (?) has to say about anything really. They are Great Britain's version of our National Enquirer, which is NOT widely known for its truth and honesty in reporting ANYTHING! :rolleyes:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The e-ring hasn't changed. That photo is just from a different angle of the same ring, so it looks a little different.

In fact it doesn't look as if anything has really been changed at all, other than the addition of the anniversary/eternity band. The e-ring won't ever change, because that's just not what "Royals" do. Practically every one of them still have their original e-rings, since they were, for the most part and with only a couple of notable exceptions, especially designed for them by their grooms-to-be. If ANYBODY had the wherewithal to "upgrade" their rings to massive D-Fl diamonds, they surely do, but have they? Nope. Even the Queen herself still has her original from Prince Philip. The stone for that one came from one of his mother's tiaras. You just can't "upgrade" something like that.

The son's wives - with a couple of obvious exceptions - are still wearing their original e-rings, and original wedding bands, which as mentioned previously, all come from Welsh gold "nuggets" - more like ingots, considering their size - which were gifted to the Queen in the past, for various occasions, but for one particular purpose. The original ran out (I think) with Diana in 1981, and then more was gifted to Queen Elizabeth for a couple of significant anniversaries over time since then.

Its also refined, and alloyed to 22kt or 23kt yellow Welsh gold, which, as gold goes, is still just gold, with the significance actually coming from its source, (being "Great Britain" gold, instead of sourced from other countries) not its content.

They don't seem to go in for "upgrading" engagement rings and wedding bands, because, my goodness, why would they want to? :think:They already have access to some of the most gorgeous, and expensive, jewels already assembled in the world to wear for "official" occasions when they are on display to the rest of the world, so why would they want to spend their clothing/adornment budget on that?

Besides, the sentimental value they attach to their engagement and wedding rings simply cannot be upgraded. Even the future Queen, Catherine, AFAIK, has only added an anniversary band of her own, a gift from hubby, to her world-famous sapphire e-ring and simple yellow gold 2-1/2 - 3mm wedding band. How could you possibly "upgrade" something like that sapphire? It's already reached the point of being priceless. :$$):

And, if you've noticed, doing the "mixed-metals" thing is something that's been going on for almost a century with them. All the way back to 1923, when the Queen Mother got married, and got the first Welsh gold wedding band to wear with her engagement ring; then the current Queen in 1947, and onward.

Practically all Royal e-rings have been set in platinum or 18kt white gold, with a couple of exceptions, (I think Sarah's (Fergie's) ruby ring was set in yellow), and then every Royal wedding band has been yellow gold, being from the Welsh gold ingot gifted to the Queen at the time. So, mixing up metals has been the standard. But this latest set for Meghan - ahem, the Duchess of Sussex - has been a matched metals set, because yellow gold is her favorite.

I wouldn't put much stock in anything the Daily Mail (?) has to say about anything really. They are Great Britain's version of our National Enquirer, which is NOT widely known for its truth and honesty in reporting ANYTHING! :rolleyes:
some great points
just out of curiosity the Express on my news feed seems pretty thin on the truth and big on sensational headlines ?
IYHO what are the more truthful and more impartial websites for UK (and royal) news in general please ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

AGBF

id be happy for life to be stuck with her ER
but i like a wider band please Harry

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I believe it HAS been changed; this article contains a couple pictures showing it more clearly, I think; and it definitely appears to be a pave band on the ER now vs. how it was originally. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/meghan-markle-slammed-changing-engagement-17203171. Personally, I’m not a fan of the change as I think the original design was so ‘clean & classic’ looking. But it’s not my ring, so I doubt she gives a hoot what I think. :lol:

I agree that - based on what I’ve read - most of the other royals haven’t/don’t change their original ERs (though some may supplement with a different ring/band option), and I rather admire that about them. But Meghan isn’t British, and she brings a different experience/perspective to the mix ... right, wrong or indifferent. And she’s kind of made it clear she is going to do some things ‘her way’, even if it’s against the grain of some royal traditions.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
not ment as a critisism to individual or country of origin but some times i think if Harry had found a bride from a commonwealth country it would have been less choppy waters and more smooth sailing

mind you happy positive stories don't sell advertising and im sure 85% of the bad press is manufactured and caculated lies

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
not ment as a critisism to individual or country of origin but some times i think if Harry had found a bride from a commonwealth country it would have been less choppy waters and more smooth sailing

mind you happy positive stories don't sell advertising and im sure 85% of the bad press is manufactured and caculated lies

Agreed; I am sure she is being unfairly super-scrutinized farrrrr more because she is a bi-racial, divorced, American actress. Some of the comments I read people post about her (e.g. in response to ‘news’ articles) are downright disgusting and mostly racially discriminating, but also allude to the stereotypes associated with actors/actresses. I may not agree with her stance on certain things, politics, etc., but she seems like a lovely person who makes Harry happy, and that is all that should matter ... not her bling, race, or her political affiliations.

*I missed the link to the story before, even though I saw the mention of the journalistic travesty that was reporting It! I have read that particular story now, also another piece in Town&Country magazine. Looks like the band of the ring may have been updated or remodeled or whatever you want to call it. Or just changed. So be it. Perhaps it was an anniversary "gift" from Harry, and the additional diamond band was a "push present" (?) as well? Actually, I've never considered the band portion of an e-ring much more than functional, so to change IT is less significant than it would be to change the actual major stones of the ring. Perhaps the ring had to be cut off her finger while pregnant, and this was a compromise to a simple repair? There's plenty of things that go on "behind closed doors" that we'll never know anything about. All things considered, does it really matter?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*I missed the link to the story before, even though I saw the mention of the journalistic travesty that was reporting It! I have read that particular story now, also another piece in Town&Country magazine. Looks like the band of the ring may have been updated or remodeled or whatever you want to call it. Or just changed. So be it. Perhaps it was an anniversary "gift" from Harry, and the additional diamond band was a "push present" (?) as well? Actually, I've never considered the band portion of an e-ring much more than functional, so to change IT is less significant than it would be to change the actual major stones of the ring. Perhaps the ring had to be cut off her finger while pregnant, and this was a compromise to a simple repair? There's plenty of things that go on "behind closed doors" that we'll never know anything about. All things considered, does it really matter?

I don’t think it ‘really matters’ to anyone but the person wearing the ring. As for discussing it on here/PS, I don’t see the harm. It’s a jewelry forum, we talk about our own pieces & collections, trends, celebrity/royal jewels, etc. and people generally are respectful when sharing their opinions.

Perhaps I am reading too much from your posts on this topic - and if so, please forgive me - but it seems by the tone of your comments, you may be ‘put off’ by folks discussing it or opining on what she changed and why? :confused:

Ooh No! Not at all "put off" by the discussion. I get that's why we are all here, and I've actually been reading through scads of posts, without saying a word, as is probably pretty obvious by my "low grade status" indicated by my name on my posts. I'm still finding my way 'round here in that respect, as in making things like "quoting" work correctly in my replies. I don't have big-time "bling" to share here, but with a lifetime of background, I like to admire the "eye candy" of others. I assume that's an acceptable option to having many new options to wear and share. And I've done so with mostly a respectable distance maintained in the process.

But, I've also been a "royal watcher" for years, in respect to their wedding jewelry especially, and have done scads of reading on the subject. I've got plenty of historical information on the subject, particularly now that I can do more than just wonder about it, and examine the occasional photos that come across the news.

Perhaps I jumped into the deep end of the pool without my "water wings" on at first, but I did try and correct that action as soon as I saw it needed it.

Actually, I do all my "internetting", as it were, on my smartphone, as I have been disabled for some years, and unable to sit at a desktop model, and I fell asleep last night in the middle of my response, before I got done with it or got it posted! I just woke up to it a bit ago, and finished it up.

It's been quite a serving of eye candy to come here to look at all the pretty baubles, and I shall continue to do so, but maybe retreat back to my corner, and do less responding and more just watching in future.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JewelersGranddaughter I gotcha. I’m sorry if my comment came across negatively; it’s often difficult to infer meaning behind words on the internet. ;)2

If you’re a royal jewels lover, I might suggest giving this thread a good perusal, as it captures a lot of royal bling over the years with commentary/additions by other PSers. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/royal-jewels.73838/

Also, if you haven’t seen it already, here’s a great blog that monitors the Queen & her family’s bling wearing that is nice to peruse: http://queensjewelvault.blogspot.com/

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haaaaaate three stones with pave

Same. It's a case when more is just... more. Her orginal ring was much more elegant and chic. I can understand if she wanted a thinner shank, but the addition of the pave just seems like what "an American actress who married into English royalty would do"... but as I said before, it's what matters to the wearer. LOL

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed; I am sure she is being unfairly super-scrutinized farrrrr more because she is a bi-racial, divorced, American actress. Some of the comments I read people post about her (e.g. in response to ‘news’ articles) are downright disgusting and mostly racially discriminating, but also allude to the stereotypes associated with actors/actresses. I may not agree with her stance on certain things, politics, etc., but she seems like a lovely person who makes Harry happy, and that is all that should matter ... not her bling, race, or her political affiliations.
i agree
its so sad
i had no idea such racism existed in the UK
some of it was just so mean and hurtful and spiteful it made the critisism thrown at Camila over the years a church picnic

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh No! Not at all "put off" by the discussion. I get that's why we are all here, and I've actually been reading through scads of posts, without saying a word, as is probably pretty obvious by my "low grade status" indicated by my name on my posts. I'm still finding my way 'round here in that respect, as in making things like "quoting" work correctly in my replies. I don't have big-time "bling" to share here, but with a lifetime of background, I like to admire the "eye candy" of others. I assume that's an acceptable option to having many new options to wear and share. And I've done so with mostly a respectable distance maintained in the process.

But, I've also been a "royal watcher" for years, in respect to their wedding jewelry especially, and have done scads of reading on the subject. I've got plenty of historical information on the subject, particularly now that I can do more than just wonder about it, and examine the occasional photos that come across the news.

Perhaps I jumped into the deep end of the pool without my "water wings" on at first, but I did try and correct that action as soon as I saw it needed it.

Actually, I do all my "internetting", as it were, on my smartphone, as I have been disabled for some years, and unable to sit at a desktop model, and I fell asleep last night in the middle of my response, before I got done with it or got it posted! I just woke up to it a bit ago, and finished it up.

It's been quite a serving of eye candy to come here to look at all the pretty baubles, and I shall continue to do so, but maybe retreat back to my corner, and do less responding and more just watching in future.
im new too and this is my only outlet to talk about the Queen - and not just the Queen of New Zealand of course but all the glamouse royals of the world
my life benifits with a bit of magic once in a while
i find its good for stress releaf (usually )
i look forward to reading more of your posts

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i agree
its so sad
i had no idea such racism existed in the UK
some of it was just so mean and hurtful and spiteful it made the critisism thrown at Camila over the years a church picnic

Agreed; I was quite surprised to read/see so much hate directed at her from the ‘locals’ there with regard to her ethnicity, as I’ve always perceived most Europeans to be more accepting/open-minded/racially tolerant than some in the U.S. And most of the ‘ugly’ stuff directed at her was specific to her ethnicity. In many ways, I think Meghan is/will be on the receiving end of more animosity than even Diana and Camilla, which is sad indeed, given what they both suffered through in the press and otherwise; I hope the opposite is true, though. I don’t want to ever wake up to news of an incident similar to Diana’s death again - royal family member, celebrity or otherwise.

This prompts my thoughts around another topic related to royal families, in general, but I don’t want to get this thread off-topic, so I’ll start another here in Hangout about that. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve always perceived most Europeans to be more accepting/open-minded/racially tolerant than some in the U.S.

I do not agree with this but do not want to derail this thread. Suffice it to say there is enough hate to go around everywhere. :cry2::cry2::cry2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not agree with this but do not want to derail this thread. Suffice it to say there is enough hate to go around everywhere. :cry2::cry2::cry2:[/QUOTE
why does Lewsis Hamilton get so much hate?
i think he is fabulous
something ive always admired about the Queen is she comes across as completly unpresjuse
doesn't matter what country in the commonwealth - she genuingly cares and is interested in all her peoples

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not agree with this but do not want to derail this thread. Suffice it to say there is enough hate to go around everywhere. :cry2::cry2::cry2:

That’s okay; again, it was just my perception, which could be entirely wrong. I haven’t traveled to Europe in several years to experience things first-hand, and I know hate knows/has no ‘borders’, so it’s largely based on what I see/read in the news and elsewhere. In some respects, my perception is also based on the number of Europeans who post on PS, most of which appeared (to me) by their comments to be more tolerant/open-minded about (specifically) race/ethnic and even sexual preference issues than other areas of the world. It just came across to me that way when some thread topics ventured into comparing X country’s tolerance/acceptance compared to the U.S.; never would I necessarily agree nor state it as fact though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s okay; again, it was just my perception, which could be entirely wrong. I haven’t traveled to Europe in several years to experience things first-hand, and I know hate knows/has no ‘borders’, so it’s largely based on what I see/read in the news and elsewhere. In some respects, my perception is also based on the number of Europeans who post on PS, most of which appeared (to me) by their comments to be more tolerant/open-minded about (specifically) race/ethnic and even sexual preference issues than other areas of the world. It just came across to me that way when some thread topics ventured into comparing X country’s tolerance/acceptance compared to the U.S.; never would I necessarily agree nor state it as fact though.

PSers are a rare (and amazing) people IMO. I don't want to get into politics etc but if you feel like doing a search of my threads there is a thread I posted years ago about hate. The statistics are quite alarming and hate in Europe (and everywhere) is on the rise. You are right in that hate (for no reason) knows no bounds. No borders can hold the hate in and yes sad to say there is quite the hate running through all countries. :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results