shape
carat
color
clarity

Super ideal... TOO sparkly?

blahhhhh

Rough_Rock
Has anyone else worried that their super ideal diamond is almost too sparkly that it looks fake?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Has anyone else worried that their super ideal diamond is almost too sparkly that it looks fake?
Had one client ten or fifteen years ago who didn't like the diamonds I was showing her for exactly that reason.

I would venture a guess that if you are not used to seeing a diamond look its best that you might have that concern, but as more and more clients get used to seeing incredible sparkle and fire, more and more cutters are going to be pulled, kicking and screaming no doubt, into the world of cutting diamonds to reveal the beauty rather than to conserve the weight.

I am hoping that in a decade or three, it will be the relatively lifeless diamonds that will look fake.

Wink

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Wink (as usual). Extremely well cut diamonds definitely don't look fake or sparkle "too much", but they do tend to look bigger than their ct weight and whiter for their color next to less ideal cut stones.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had people assume my diamonds are fake because they look “too perfect”. Makes the concern that “people might be able to tell my cz/MMD/moissy isn’t real” even less significant since apparently some folk are also bad at identifying real well cut diamonds.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: yes, makes me wonder if I should have gone moissy
Hehe. I just do both.
My coworkers (many of whom own plenty of nice diamonds themselves) are about 50/50 when they try to pick out what is diamond and what is moissy. Granted it’s high quality moissy from AV that is as well cut as my diamonds. Still funny to me.

Dcrafty1

Shiny_Rock
Yes and a good friend implied such.

Maybe that's why no one compliments me on my ring. They don't know a well cut diamond from a Moissy (or any other well cut stone).

I love my ring and wouldn't change it for the world. The sparkle and FIRE is everything. Thanks PS, I would have been one of the ones thinking that ring cant be real

Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My fiancée had the "Is it... fake?" question posed once by a close friend (one who meant no malice by the question, but was just genuinely curious). After telling the friend that yes, it is indeed real, the friend replied something along the lines of "I didn't know diamonds could sparkle like that..."

The "Sparkles too much-->must be fake" mentality is the result of two consumer trends in recent decades:

a.) As clean material becomes harder to find, you "average" diamond at maul stores has become more included (aka frozen spit).

b.) Moissy has flooded the market. Moissy is more sparkly (higher refractive index) than diamond and is generally much cleaner than the "average" maul store diamond.

Since many people have never seen anything other than poorly cut, heavily included maul store diamonds, they assume that diamonds are rather dull and lifeless in everyday lighting scenarios, only sparkling under the jewelry store lights. In many cases, the only stones that they've seen that have any sort of "life" to them in everyday lighting environments are moissies. So when they see a diamond that is relatively clean (not cloudy frozen spit), well cut and full of life, they assume it's a moissy.

But who cares if it "looks fake" to the average joe. Wear the diamond to make yourself happy. And if people ask, then you can educate them about how a high quality diamond is supposed to look. :)

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Just dont clean it.:whistle:
Hahaha. I love clean and sparkly diamonds! I sometimes wonder what people think when I catch them looking if they think it’s fake as it sparkles too much or what? I wonder too if more people think it’s fake if it’s a very high colored diamond like D or E as it will be so white and so sparkly.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t wear my jewelry for other people, I wear it for me and I want it to sparkle as much as possible.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My fiancée had the "Is it... fake?" question posed once by a close friend (one who meant no malice by the question, but was just genuinely curious). After telling the friend that yes, it is indeed real, the friend replied something along the lines of "I didn't know diamonds could sparkle like that..."

The "Sparkles too much-->must be fake" mentality is the result of two consumer trends in recent decades:

a.) As clean material becomes harder to find, you "average" diamond at maul stores has become more included (aka frozen spit).

b.) Moissy has flooded the market. Moissy is more sparkly (higher refractive index) than diamond and is generally much cleaner than the "average" maul store diamond.

Since many people have never seen anything other than poorly cut, heavily included maul store diamonds, they assume that diamonds are rather dull and lifeless in everyday lighting scenarios, only sparkling under the jewelry store lights. In many cases, the only stones that they've seen that have any sort of "life" to them in everyday lighting environments are moissies. So when they see a diamond that is relatively clean (not cloudy frozen spit), well cut and full of life, they assume it's a moissy.

I think A is why so many people think diamonds are a waste of money. Most of the diamonds I see in the wild are lifeless, dirty and full of inclusions. I even thought diamonds were dumb when I was given my first (which had zero sparkle and wasn't even transparent, but bless my husband's heart - we were broke college students).

I overheard a couple of people talking about whether my diamond was "one of those moissanites they've heard about".

I was amused and very happy that my diamond is so nice it looks fake. I'll take that as a compliment, but I give zero sh*ts what anyone thinks. :dance:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t wear my jewelry for other people, I wear it for me and I want it to sparkle as much as possible.

I was amused and very happy that my diamond is so nice it looks fake. I'll take that as a compliment, but I give zero sh*ts what anyone thinks. :dance:

Ditto both of these comments; use it as an opportunity to educate people on what a well-cut diamond looks like (if they aren’t just being casual).

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Yesterday I wore my super ideal tennis bracelet on my left hand with my 14.99 cz Nordstrom rack bridal set (still waiting on my upgrade btw). My husband looks at my hand and says
Those rings don’t even sparkle next to that bracelet!
He correctly surmised the bracelet was real and the rings weren’t.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Having a quiet laugh. I think “my diamond is too sparkly” has got to be the definition of a first world problem.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that’s what people will think, then ABSO-F***ING-LUTELY!!!

Seriously I don’t give a rat’s a$$ what people think. I’ll take that kinda fake anyday. :mrgreen2:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kicking and screaming no doubt, into the world of cutting diamonds to reveal the beauty rather than to conserve the weight.

Wink
Funny, My friend Rachel whom bought a 1.75ct CBI from you just returned from China visiting friends and relatives. She said none of them believed her diamond is real. They all say.. real diamonds don't sparkle like that...:lol:

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience very well cut diamonds are super sparkly but look dark in certain lighting. When I just received my ring last year, a Co worker of mine also had just gotten engaged. She showed me her ring and I showed her my ring and her ring looked so “white” compared to mine. It wasn’t more sparkly (actually it didn’t sparkle at all) but it actually looked cloudy or maybe even dirty and just whiter. My diamond looked really dark( almost black) and all you could see was sparkle. It was low light conditions so I don’t know if that was the reason why it looked like that. It was strange and I was almost embarrassed bc it looked like a black hole of sparkle. It just didn’t look real.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience very well cut diamonds are super sparkly but look dark in certain lighting. When I just received my ring last year, a Co worker of mine also had just gotten engaged. She showed me her ring and I showed her my ring and her ring looked so “white” compared to mine. It wasn’t more sparkly (actually it didn’t sparkle at all) but it actually looked cloudy or maybe even dirty and just whiter. My diamond looked really dark( almost black) and all you could see was sparkle. It was low light conditions so I don’t know if that was the reason why it looked like that. It was strange and I was almost embarrassed bc it looked like a black hole of sparkle. It just didn’t look real.
Until one has seen a SuperIdeal, it is hard to know how they perform!

Diamonds looking 'white' but not sparkly seems typical of 'maul' store stones - too many inclusions to let the light pass through and come out as white light and coloured fire, the inclusions instead just lighting up and absorbing the light!

blahhhhh

Rough_Rock
I have been enjoying the different looks across different lighting... I find that it glows the most in shady indirect light, so I guess I should do more bush walking :dance:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think just the opposite, I think the fake stuff looks dull. I have never seen a Moissanite that I liked. I would take the super sparkly real stuff any day of the week.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results