shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Victoria Earrings, save for VCA or something else?

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello PSers!

I value everyone's opinion very much on this site. The vast knowledge and understanding PSers offer to their fellow posters is incredible.

So, I've been thinking about my HG pair of diamond earrings for awhile now.
I realize some will suggest I get a really nice pair of diamond studs. However, I feel diamond studs are a bit boring for me. I want something with a bit of style/flair.

I thought the best option would be to have a jeweler make a version of the Tiffany Victoria earrings for me. But, several jewelers I've spoke with refused to do the job as they say it's a bit too much work. They recommended I seek out pre-loved.

So, here we are. I am tentatively about to purchase a pair of pre-loved large Victoria earrings for around $9k cdn. However, there's another love - that's the VCA Vintage Alhambra.

My DH is willing to purchase one item. I can wait for the VCA, or go for the Tiffany.

What do the lovely PSers think is the best choice? What's going to have longevity? In the future, if I'd like to sell the piece and upgrade, which one will have the better trade in value?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts :)
I posted this in the Jewelry pieces forum, but I figured I'd get a bit more traction here. I apologize if my posting doesn't belong in this area.

Thanks!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try them on before buying if possible. Maybe you'll like how one looks on you versus the other.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with @PintoBean! Another thing I am prone to do is buy a $25 knock off on overstock or amazon to live with it for a bit to see how it fits into my daily life. I did this before my Cartier trinity ring to be sure I was confident in the band widths.

What a fun choice! My personal preference is VCA. Those pieces tend to hold value incredibly well for resale.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Try them on before buying if possible. Maybe you'll like how one looks on you versus the other.

I do like both of them! That's the problem :) I've tried them both on and they definitely have a different look. The VCA has a lot more presence than the Tiffany's. But, the Tiffany's is a nicer look - and the price is better. Thanks for your input.

What does HG mean?
HG = holy grail. Sorry, sometimes I'm not sure what lingo is more common to use than others :D

I agree with @PintoBean! Another thing I am prone to do is buy a $25 knock off on overstock or amazon to live with it for a bit to see how it fits into my daily life. I did this before my Cartier trinity ring to be sure I was confident in the band widths.

What a fun choice! My personal preference is VCA. Those pieces tend to hold value incredibly well for resale.

That's a really good idea! I should have thought about that!!! I'll be doing that with my purchases from now on. It's a bit easier to find a VCA knockoff than a Tiffany's victoria.

I agree about the VCA holding value. That's what makes me pause!

Thanks for your input. Perhaps I might disappoint a seller tomorrow after all!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would try to choose the item I think I would wear the most. Some people would choose the bracelet because when you wear it, you can look at it all day as opposed to the earrings which you would have to look at in the mirror to enjoy. I have not been bitten by the VCA bug (thank goodness!) so I would probably choose the earrings. It is hard to choose between two items that you really like so I wish you luck! I do like the idea of trying them in a knock off if possible - sometimes you can really think you want something until you try it on or wear it for a bit.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This. Have you tried both?

I'm going to try them on very shortly once more to make a comparison. I like both of them, but I haven't tried them both on in one session. I'll be going to a mall that has both options for me.

Thanks for the advice! I think this is the best next move for me!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to try them on very shortly once more to make a comparison. I like both of them, but I haven't tried them both on in one session. I'll be going to a mall that has both options for me.

Thanks for the advice! I think this is the best next move for me!

Have fun! There's been so many times I thought I had to have something, but once I saw it in person and tried it on, I realized I felt differently. I hope this really narrows it down for you.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Okay!! So, I took everyone's advice and I went window shopping. I'm really torn still. I'm including some photos for folks to compare the difference between the two. Thanks for all the great feedback so far! 20190624_151256.jpg 20190624_145917.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victoria looks more "dressy" and VCA more "casual" (fabulous but still more casual). Personally I lean more towards Victoria.

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
I like them both, but I feel the size of the Victoria fits your ear better.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Pimberly . The Victoria sits beautifully in the center of your lobe and it has a lot of presence. The VCA sits in a weird spot so it looks like it's about to fall off even though I know it won't.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask David Klass to make you Victoria copies, that will be the cheapest way to get that look for way less and you could use better diamonds. I think he actually made something like them recently....

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the Victoria on you. Not so much with the Alhambra. Have you tried the pave frivoles at VCA. Love frivoles and think the size would be a better fit on your lobe.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely prefer the Victoria earrings. I think they look fabulous on you!!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Vote for Victoria or a like-minded design. I might be dreaming that HW does a version with two marquises & two pears - which might be worth trying on...

Then, may I aks what is the gold ring on your middle finger (in the picture with the Victoris earrings)?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yanno, I was all set to go with the Victorias...then I saw the pics...I think the Alhambras look amazing on you! I don't know, I just think they have a great presence on your ear and will show up better when you wear your hair down. You wear them so well. The good news is they both look beautiful on you, it really comes down to which one you prefer!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Victoria’s on you! If I had to go with just one set, I would pick those. You can always get the VCA for another gift later on.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Victoria looks more "dressy" and VCA more "casual" (fabulous but still more casual). Personally I lean more towards Victoria.

You know, I've known a few folks to suggest the vintage VCA is a bit more 'casual'. I can understand what you mean by the victoria looking more 'dressy'. It's definitely less flashy and more refined. Thanks very much for your feedback!

I like them both, but I feel the size of the Victoria fits your ear better.

I have to agree with this. This is part of why I'm torn. I feel as though the Victoria is a nice solitaire alternative to me. It's large, but still within reason.

I agree with @Pimberly . The Victoria sits beautifully in the center of your lobe and it has a lot of presence. The VCA sits in a weird spot so it looks like it's about to fall off even though I know it won't.

Haha. Yah, it's a bit of a weird look from the side profile. If you look at me dead on, the way the earrings fall is a bit better. I do agree that the Victoria's have a really nice place to sit.
The one thing I am wondering if if it's easier to find pre-loved Victoria earrings vs VCA.

Ask David Klass to make you Victoria copies, that will be the cheapest way to get that look for way less and you could use better diamonds. I think he actually made something like them recently....

Go on......This is what I'm most curious about. I just kept hearing jewelers telling me no, that it wasn't possible. To just go out and buy the real deal. If you remember the thread/posting etc I'd LOVE to know more!

I love the Victoria on you. Not so much with the Alhambra. Have you tried the pave frivoles at VCA. Love frivoles and think the size would be a better fit on your lobe.

ooooooh! Now you've got me looking into alternatives from left field! I think you're right as well. Although, it's almost cliche, but I felt the Vintage Alhambra was the quintessential 'classic' pair. However, I've read folks raving and ranting about how much they adore their frivoles. So......
thank you for another new addiction :razz:

I definitely prefer the Victoria earrings. I think they look fabulous on you!!

Thanks very much for your feedback! It's always helpful to get a gauge from other folks who can see things more objectively. I figure a picture is worth a thousand words - even if that pic is taken by my unsteady hand with a less than stellar camera phone :razz:

Vote for Victoria or a like-minded design. I might be dreaming that HW does a version with two marquises & two pears - which might be worth trying on...

Then, may I aks what is the gold ring on your middle finger (in the picture with the Victoris earrings)?

HW earrings the way you describe could be magical. I'd love to see that as well!
I'll take a closer pic of that ring. It was given to me over 20 years ago by my parents when they went on a trip to California. My parents love unique jewelry, and they chose this piece for me. It's been WELL loved over the years :) I just decided to bust it out today after not wearing it for 10+ years. Because, why not, right? :)

Yanno, I was all set to go with the Victorias...then I saw the pics...I think the Alhambras look amazing on you! I don't know, I just think they have a great presence on your ear and will show up better when you wear your hair down. You wear them so well. The good news is they both look beautiful on you, it really comes down to which one you prefer!

Yah, and that's where I'm stuck. The VCA has more presence when my hair is down (which is the way I wear my hair 99% of the time). The front profile is where the Alhambras shine (literally and figuratively). I have a lot of other folks on the VCA team, including my DH. And, he rarely has an opinion on jewelry. I believe he thinks all jewelry is just silly obsessions :D

I love the Victoria’s on you! If I had to go with just one set, I would pick those. You can always get the VCA for another gift later on.
Yes, maybe a few years down the road. Thanks very much for your input! I appreciate you helping me decide. Sadly, this decision is not chump change for me, so it's definitely a nail bitter decision.

Thanks!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Re. HW: WWW yet, I remember a different model with the pointy ends of the pears meeting the marquises in the middle - possibly not HW after all, or just another design of theirs. No complaint about these!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Victorias on you! Not that the alhambra aren't beautiful in their own right, but the victorias are my favorites.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Victoria all the way. They are lovely and have a little punch. The VCA just read as a blob to me.

Mixtress

Rough_Rock
Premium
I am in the minority here, but I love the VCAs! I feel if you prefer the Victoria's you can find a jeweller who can make you something similar for a lower price.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can do better than $9k for preloved Victoria, they look great on you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like the victorias sit a little high on your lobes... the size and lower hang of the Alhambra makes it look more stately, IMO, despite the more casual design.

Definitely take a look at the pave Frivoles next time you're at VCA! The petals are slightly three-dimensional, like the Victoria studs, but they're larger and will have more presence on the ears.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Re. HW: WWW yet, I remember a different model with the pointy ends of the pears meeting the marquises in the middle - possibly not HW after all, or just another design of theirs. No complaint about these!

Oooooh! Good eye! Those look stunning as well! I naively thought Tiffany was the only one who did the marquise diamond earrings. *I know, I should have known better*
Thanks for that lovely image!

Reactions: AV_
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results