shape
carat
color
clarity

DM for price! And other IG sales tactics that suck.

tjkswift

Rough_Rock
Screenshot_20190619-202751_Instagram.jpg check out third response I received from this vendor after corresponding with him between may 29 and today about 5 different stones regarding 3 different projects.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Screenshot_20190619-202751_Instagram.jpg check out third response I received from this vendor after corresponding with him between may 29 and today about 5 different stones regarding 3 different projects.
Wow. I haven't corresponded with this vendor but this makes me less inclined to ever do so.

tjkswift

Rough_Rock
Wow. I haven't corresponded with this vendor but this makes me less inclined to ever do so.
And if you do, you'd better be ready to buy even if it's not what you're looking for lol.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's so disappointing, I follow his feed and often see things I like. If he doesnt have tine to answer a series of messages from someone considering a 10k+ sale he must not need the business and there is someone out there who will be more helpful and deserving.

tjkswift

Rough_Rock
That's so disappointing, I follow his feed and often see things I like. If he doesnt have tine to answer a series of messages from someone considering a 10k+ sale he must not need the business and there is someone out there who will be more helpful and deserving.
You're right..... there's plenty of other sellers that would be interested in my 20k purchase, but his response did indeed catch me off guard.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
You're right..... there's plenty of other sellers that would be interested in my 20k purchase, but his response did indeed catch me off guard.

That's a crappy response to you. It was rude.

I think these sellers would do so much better in screening and answering questions if they said something like stone is priced above $15k or priced under $10k or whatever, so there is a bit of guidance. Buying a piece that's in that range is not a split second decision for most.

Or! Just put the price in the post with all details! He does that with some items. Why not do it with all? It would save him and buyers time.

I think this comes down to him being more a dealer than a jeweler. I am not defending the response, because it's rude and not okay, but I think stone sales dealer to dealer or dealer to jeweler to make a piece are less involved and have less questions.

But if you don't want to sell to the consumer directly, don't advertise to the consumer directly. Or put on your bio inventory only available to trade. Easy solution and other vendors do that.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In his mind - it’s not rude for him to do so- I’m sure. It’s just business.
He covered that by asking if he could be honest, first?!?
Ha!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tjkswift,
I am sooo glad you posted that. I have contacted him several times and he has been very rude but I was hesitant to mention it as several people rave about him here and I didn't want to get bashed. You can have great stuff, but if your rude, I quit.

Last edited:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tjkswift & @autumngems thank you both for sharing your experiences. I've praised Alex in the past, but clearly not everyone was delighted working with him and it's important to speak freely so others can decide for themselves if he's the right vendor for them.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
I have messaged him about some diamonds and he wasn't directly rude to me. His responses throw me off though because he would post something that I'm interested in and he never has the stone in hand to give details (he posts everything when his store is closed and he doesn't have access to it). By the time that he responds, someone put the diamond on hold without waiting for the details. I want to work with him in a few months (when I have bling money) because he does beautiful work, great prices, and nice diamonds. When I know my budget I'll contact him directly and go to his store because messaging him is kind of irritating hahaha.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is - IMO - an example of a vendor who does IG right!
4E343CC6-94F1-42E9-A60A-DEC26CC3A95D.jpeg
Commentary about the items posted, deets & pricing easily available by tapping the image, item number to find it on the website for more details & images, etc. Well done DBL! :clap:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for naming these shady sellers. I know about ladyloveliescurio, but not the others.

I had a wonderful experience buying with ladyloveliescurio. She had two rings that I feel In the love with the settings immediately. If the one ring hadn’t already sold I would have gladly paid double her asking price for the ring. I had never seen a ring like this and knew I would likely not see one like it again. I wished she would have been able to make a reproduction of the ring. I seriously just wanted the ring that bad. The only other ring I loved this much was @redwood66 diamond and ruby ring that she sold. That is another ring I loved so much I would have gladly paid more for it.

I found ladylovliescurio to be kind and accurate with the description. She also posted a picture of the ring on her finger and stated her finger size which I also found helpful at the time.

I’ve called Walton’s Jewelry a couple times asking for a price and a photo of the ring on an actual finger. They have always bent over backward to help and were extremely kind.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Old thread but since I recently started looking on IG I want to say I feel the same frustration on DM for pricing. Do they really want a zillion emails? I just want to see the price!!! I’m so appreciative of Xothebijouxbox and zacharysjewelry bc their IG pages have pricing. Sako is another IG that has AMAZING stuff, but no prices. People rave about him too. And plat boutique also has incredible things but no prices. They have a site but it’s not up yet. It is so frustrating.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve just unfollowed some IG sellers for ignoring my requests for pricing written in the comments section. Why do they insist on the DM? It‘s not a transparent way to do business and I’m not getting involved.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Old thread but since I recently started looking on IG I want to say I feel the same frustration on DM for pricing. Do they really want a zillion emails? I just want to see the price!!! I’m so appreciative of Xothebijouxbox and zacharysjewelry bc their IG pages have pricing. Sako is another IG that has AMAZING stuff, but no prices. People rave about him too. And plat boutique also has incredible things but no prices. They have a site but it’s not up yet. It is so frustrating.

Platt Boutique has some amazing stuff but you’re right. The DM for pricing is irritating. I was in the market for an antique cluster and was ready to spend a chunk of money so I DMed him about some rings he had just posted on his IG. He told me he would get back to me with all the details and prices the next day when he got into the shop but he never did. And I was ready to pay. So, I guess in the end, their own “sales tactics” are their worst enemy.
I also just hate DMing vendors and having to tell them I’m not interested because their specs don’t match my specs. Makes me sound wishy washy and flakey which I am not. Plus, I know some vendors give different people different prices and that’s not ok.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the time that he responds, someone put the diamond on hold without waiting for the details.
This topic came up in a chat group recently... When selling a platform that doesn’t handle the actual sale transaction, like IG or LT, is it “better” for a seller who receives multiple inquiries on an item to prioritize the person who inquires first or people who pays first?

When I sell preloved I go in order of inquiry. I don’t want to penalize people who have additional questions - people who ask questions are usually more invested, and invested buyers usually create happy endings! I didn’t even realize that others do things differently until a couple of days ago, but... A couple of times in the past I’ve received PayPal payments to the address I list on LT before getting an actual email or LT message. Both times someone else had already inquired about the piece - I refunded the payments, no biggie, but I was so thoroughly confused!! Now I understand that some people use a first person who pays gets it model rather than my normal first person to ask gets dibs.

So from now on I know to clarify this in my own LT listings!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I sell preloved I go in order of inquiry. I don’t want to penalize people who have additional questions - people who ask questions are usually more invested, and invested buyers usually create happy endings!
I agree with you @yssie, this is how I would do it too.

Now I understand that some people use a first person who pays gets it model rather than my normal first person to ask gets dibs.

I think most (if not all) vendors work this way. On IG. Whoever sends payment first gets it.
I am one who cannot just buy without knowing the details. So needless to say I have never purchased on IG. Plus I am not glued to IG like it seems many are so I miss out that way too. It's a speed game with some vendors. And that's OK. Not meant to be is how I look at it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platt Boutique has some amazing stuff but you’re right. The DM for pricing is irritating.

Agree. I have DMd them a few times but have never bought from them and I always feel bad like I am wasting their time. I really wish they would display the price like some vendors do. That way we are not wasting their or our time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plus, I know some vendors give different people different prices and that’s not ok.

Oh I suspected this as well. But hoped it wasn't true. Not cool.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I believe Sako has different pricing for people in the trade and people not in the trade. That is OK of course and I wouldn't expect to be given a trade price but I do wish they would list the prices then for non trade people and let the trade people contact them for their price. Transparency and easier for all involved I think.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Oh I suspected this as well. But hoped it wasn't true. Not cool.

I would think it's the same for other vendors too though. If someone buys a ton from x vendor, I would imagine that they may get a slightly different price. I think it happens with even traditional jewelers too not on IG.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Agree. I have DMd them a few times but have never bought from them and I always feel bad like I am wasting their time. I really wish they would display the price like some vendors do. That way we are not wasting their or our time.

I think that they all have a trade and general public price for sure.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think it's the same for other vendors too though. If someone buys a ton from x vendor, I would imagine that they may get a slightly different price. I think it happens with even traditional jewelers too not on IG.

But if the price is listed for all to see and then they give a discount to their regular/favorite customers that is A OK. But I think not listing a price on IG and then changing the price depending on who is contacting them isn't cool. JMO. I like seeing the prices and having things above board that way. That way we can decide yes we want to pursue further or no, I don't want to waste their or my time. What happens after is up to the individual vendor and customer.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Yes this!! I feel like I come across as annoying or flakey if I ask but then it’s not right for me.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This topic came up in a chat group recently... When selling a platform that doesn’t handle the actual sale transaction, like IG or LT, is it “better” for a seller who receives multiple inquiries on an item to prioritize the person who inquires first or people who pays first?

When I sell preloved I go in order of inquiry. I don’t want to penalize people who have additional questions - people who ask questions are usually more invested, and invested buyers usually create happy endings! I didn’t even realize that others do things differently until a couple of days ago, but... A couple of times in the past I’ve received PayPal payments to the address I list on LT before getting an actual email or LT message. Both times someone else had already inquired about the piece - I refunded the payments, no biggie, but I was so thoroughly confused!! Now I understand that some people use a first person who pays gets it model rather than my normal first person to ask gets dibs.

So from now on I know to clarify this in my own LT listings!

In that situation I can see taking payment first, because the payment option is there. Kind of like on EBay - I can ask a question but someone can easily buy while I’m waiting for an answer. But IG isn’t like that unless you’ve bought from them before and presumably have their info.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes this!! I feel like I come across as annoying or flakey if I ask but then it’s not right for me.

Yes, and then I feel funny about what to say if I am not interested in pursuing further. Do I just say thank you and leave it be. Or do I say thank you but it isn't for me? I hate being radio silent but I generally just say thank you and nothing else. Hopefully that is the correct etiquette. I always want to explain and not leave things like that but I feel that is the most efficient use of time. I mean if one just says thank you I think (hope) it is apparent one isn't interested in pursuing further. Yet somehow I always feel bad about just saying thank you and leaving it like that. LOL. Please just list the prices so we don't have to message for them. ::)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yes, and then I feel funny about what to say if I am not interested in pursuing further. Do I just say thank you and leave it be. Or do I say thank you but it isn't for me? I hate being radio silent but I generally just say thank you and nothing else. Hopefully that is the correct etiquette. I always want to explain and not leave things like that but I feel that is the most efficient use of time. I mean if one just says thank you I think (hope) it is apparent one isn't interested in pursuing further. Yet somehow I always feel bad about just saying thank you and leaving it like that. LOL. Please just list the prices so we don't have to message for them. ::)

Lol maybe they will see this!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol maybe they will see this!

I will add I only contact vendors about price and other details if I seriously see myself getting the piece. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results