shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD help needed. Is this going to be too much ring?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO SUCH THING! But seriously, I am a failure at reading CADS and am useless. But am very excited to see your ring, and expect that it's going to be totally stunning! Sometimes I make cut outs of the overall coverage of a stone and put it on my finger with paper to make sure it won't be too much.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO SUCH THING! But seriously, I am a failure at reading CADS and am useless. But am very excited to see your ring, and expect that it's going to be totally stunning! Sometimes I make cut outs of the overall coverage of a stone and put it on my finger with paper to make sure it won't be too much.

I also have a hard time visualizing cad into reality and will likely get a wax copy if possible of this one.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now yer talkin'!

Speaking as a girl with an ex 8.25 finger, I could never get them big enough! Even at a small 7, I like my rings good and BIG! Altho, to be fair, I used to be a 5.5 and even then....HUGE! :kiss2:

Firstly, the CADs look fine. This is not a dissimilar style to my grey spinel with triple diamonds on each side. The grey spinel is about 2.5ct and the diamonds in the sides are 11 pts each. If your aqua is 6ct, then 20 pt sides should have a similar ratio between center stone and sides as mine has, so if you like mine, you'll probably like this one!

I'd make sure they taper the band all the way to the outer prong on the outside diamond. And can you tell us the dimensions of your aqua? And - how do you intend to wear this? Substitute e-ring? RHR? With a band? No band? Were it me, I'd be wearing it as a RHR with no band. And...what an eyefull!!

So all that to say - no. Not too big. Enjoy, @whitewave!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now yer talkin'!

Speaking as a girl with an ex 8.25 finger, I could never get them big enough! Even at a small 7, I like my rings good and BIG! Altho, to be fair, I used to be a 5.5 and even then....HUGE! :kiss2:

Firstly, the CADs look fine. This is not a dissimilar style to my grey spinel with triple diamonds on each side. The grey spinel is about 2.5ct and the diamonds in the sides are 11 pts each. if your aqua is 6ct, then 20 pt sides should have a similar ratio between center stone and sides as mine has, so if you like mine, you'll probably like this one!

I'd make sure they taper the band all the way to the prong on the outside diamond. And can you tell us the proportions of your aqua? And - how do you intend to wear this? Sub e-ring? RHR? With a band? No band? Were it me, I'd be wearing it as a RHR with no band. And...what an eyefull!!

So all that to say - no. Not too big. Enjoy, @whitewave!

Thanks! Right hand ring no band. The aqua dimensions are 15.8 x 8.8
8265B90D-1BA0-4237-A14A-322CE1E2CBAC.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks proportional and not too big to me, but I think you are very wise to get a wax made to be sure you like everything about it! Your aqua is fairly deep which is making the stones all sit a little high, but there's not much you can do about that. I think it looks good, but come back with pics when you get the wax!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks proportional and not too big to me, but I think you are very wise to get a wax made to be sure you like everything about it! Your aqua is fairly deep which is making the stones all sit a little high, but there's not much you can do about that. I think it looks good, but come back with pics when you get the wax!

Oh, yes, I see that now. I was wondering why they were so high. I wonder how that is going to look.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i am excited to see this!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the size and proportions. I am NOT a CAD expert, but I wonder about lowering and angling the side stones a tiny bit more?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can I ask where you purchased the aquamarine?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you open to sides of triangles, trillions, or isosceles trapezoid diamonds with the longer side adjacent to the aqua? Traps would look really elegant imo.

The 6 melee look more busy imo.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not too big for me as I have fat chunky fingers.
However I would be concerned about the diamonds out-shining the Aqua though, and may consider changing them to smaller ones or have step cut traps instead.
Just a personal preference, of course.
And I am glad to see that Aqua has gone to a PSer as it is a beautiful stone.

DK :))

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the size and proportions. I am NOT a CAD expert, but I wonder about lowering and angling the side stones a tiny bit more?

Actually, I did ask if they could do that.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you open to sides of triangles, trillions, or isosceles trapezoid diamonds with the longer side adjacent to the aqua? Traps would look really elegant imo.

The 6 melee look more busy imo.

I am a bit concerned about this, but I’d rather see it through than to start over. I’m of the opinion I could always reset later. This is going to be an occasion ring and not an every day one.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not too big for me as I have fat chunky fingers.
However I would be concerned about the diamonds out-shining the Aqua though, and may consider changing them to smaller ones or have step cut traps instead.
Just a personal preference, of course.
And I am glad to see that Aqua has gone to a PSer as it is a beautiful stone.

DK :))

Yes, I have thought about this.

@mrs-b I’m sure you have ideal cut diamonds on your spinel. Do they outshine or compete with the spinel?

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have thought about this.

@mrs-b I’m sure you have idea cut diamonds on your spinel. Do they outshine or compete with the spinel?

Yes I do. And they complement through contrast, totally.

One thing I was thinking about your ring, tho, was the setting for the side stones. Take a look at the minimal prongs on my side stones. It's a lot fewer than on your CAD, and I prefer it as it gives a real clover look. Give it some thought; in real life it's a very pretty look. It's softer, and not so triangular, so much more organic looking and not so sharp.

Just a thought.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I do. And they complement through contrast, totally.

One thing I was thinking about your ring, tho, was the setting for the side stones. Take a look at the minimal prongs on my side stones. It's a lot fewer than on your CAD, and I prefer it as it gives a real clover look. Give it some thought; in real life it's a very pretty look. It's softer, and not so triangular, so much more organic looking and not so sharp.

Just a thought.

Dang it, yes. Yours is less prongy and I did think it looked flowery. I just approved the cad 5 minutes ago. Ugh,

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can ALWAYS change a CAD. And they're easy to change. If you prefer a less prongy look, send them a photo of mine - I feel as tho that arrangement of side stones makes that ring.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can ALWAYS change a CAD. And they're easy to change. If you prefer a less prongy look, send them a photo of mine - I feel as tho that arrangement of side stones makes that ring.

I just sent an email, thanks.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the floating look

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results