shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal Help!

SRH3125

Rough_Rock
Hi! I am new to PS and would like some guidance from experts on this opal, please. Ethiopian, 5.66 carats, 15.6 x 11.9 mm, set in 14k yellow gold. Listed at ~ $1700.00

Thank you

F793FDDB-ADE6-473A-81AB-716C4957D3C8.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems very washed out, and I would rather buy a stone where I can see the sides and the back.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
03A62736-C360-43DC-9BC3-F04981F36C45.jpeg Just some information.
There are two “types” of opal, Ethiopian opal and Australian opal.
Ethiopian or Welo opal is a hydrophane material, this means the gem readily absorbs water and this causes the colourplay to disappear. It returns after a few hours when the opal “dries out”. Ethiopian opal can be prone to cracking if it dries out (high heat environments). In appearance it is generally a yellowish translucent background with colourplay. Black Ethiopian opal is also available though care needs to be exercised as some material is artificially dyed.
Australian opal comes in a few different types. Crystal opal is most similar to Ethiopian opal, more translucent with colourplay. Other types include white and black opal. Australian opals can be bought as solid opal ie all the gem is opal, as well as doublets (a thinner section of opal is attached to a backing) and triplets which are a sliver of opal with a plastic dome on top and a backing to the rear.
Australian opal is considered more stable, black opal the most stable.
Opal is also a relative soft gem so it is not recommended for everyday wear in a ring.
The ring is lovely but it is quite pricey. The other thing is for its carat weight, at 16mm x 12mm you aren’t getting a lot of visual size. The gem would have a higher dome.
By comparison (this is a pre loved opal ring at a similar price) this opal is lower carat weight (just over 4 carats) yet has dimensions of 19mm x 11mm. So check dimensions as well as carat weight.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could buy an Aussie opal (which generally are nicer stones with better colours) the same size and colour range for that or less, I think it's overpriced for what it is.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Based on my observation, the Ethiopian opal in white or lighter based usually around $100 per carat. This one is in a darker base and I cannot comment on the price. I would suggest asking for a photo indoor or a video with a single light source. The camera on the phone usually make the colour of the opal more vivid

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on my observation, the Ethiopian opal in white or lighter based usually around $100 per carat. This one is in a darker base and I cannot comment on the price. I would suggest asking for a photo indoor or a video with a single light source. The camera on the phone usually make the colour of the opal more vivid
I’ve seen decent color play white base Welo opal as low as $30/ct. The white base is not as desirable as other base colors.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
74AF8809-09A8-4252-B941-8A91ACF67F26.jpeg 4A8A18E8-BAD9-48BC-A1D9-797D9D972D36.jpeg
I’ve seen decent color play white base Welo opal as low as $30/ct. The white base is not as desirable as other base colors.

You are right. Depending on the quality, those $100 per carat are higher quality and larger in size.

I regret not buying the large opal in Tucson. I am unsure of the play of colour under sunlight. This is close to my ideal opal. Can you please comment on the oval? I have seen you with lots of beautiful opals.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
52652BA2-2008-4459-BC43-9205293A6FD9.png Thank you. The large opal looks like a crystal opal, and it’s a bit washed out in your photos, even on the black background, but it appears to have lots of color play. My favorite opals are what I deem “sherbert” opals. It’s not that they’re more valuable that others, but they’re just a personal favorite of mine. I love seeing blue and orange together.

My large one that I posted photos of all over the place is like that, and I have yet to set this one, which is sitting in mounting wax in this ring setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To the OP, Ethiopian opal comes in lots of base colors, and transparencies, and types of color play. I would look at a variety of Welo opal to see this, as the milky white base is just one type, and you may find others that appeal to you more.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
52652BA2-2008-4459-BC43-9205293A6FD9.png Thank you. The large opal looks like a crystal opal, and it’s a bit washed out in your photos, even on the black background, but it appears to have lots of color play. My favorite opals are what I deem “sherbert” opals. It’s not that they’re more valuable that others, but they’re just a personal favorite of mine. I love seeing blue and orange together.

My large one that I posted photos of all over the place is like that, and I have yet to set this one, which is sitting in mounting wax in this ring setting.

Thank you for the comment. The pear shape is my master stone supposed to have the brightness of 5/5. The photos are shot under shaded sunlight. My pear behaved very different under the same light. Since I was unsure how it will look indoor, I didn’t buy the oval one

What is a sherbert opal?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
602FDACC-74E7-43E8-A8CE-0B69B7456B13.jpeg I made the name of “sherbert opal” up because the colors I like in opal remind me of sherbert.:mrgreen2:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - I think the one you are looking at is overpriced, and looks rather dull in the photo. Suggest you keep looking around and definitely decide WHICH TYPE of opal suits your needs.

@pwsg07 those opals look lovely! Like a Monet waterpainting... :love:

SRH3125

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much! Will keep looking!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results