shape
carat
color
clarity

Help pick between 2 settings

Redsparrow

Rough_Rock
Hi Psers,

I am working with HPD and the lovely Layla to create a customize band. After getting some inspiration from @Lykame

I already know that I like a platinum, 6 prong solitaire, medium setting, and knife edge band. I’ve already design how Id like the basket and claw prongs and just need help on choosing the BAND/setting.

First option:
Basket is flushed and built into the shank. Because of that n it’s better ‘stability’, itll start as 2 mm and taper to 2.5mm. Knife edge can be more defined.

upload_2019-6-18_18-33-24.jpeg

Second option:
Basket floats on TOP of the shank giving it a more delicate appearance. Because of how it sits on the shank, the head will start at 2.2mm and taper to 2.5mm. Knife edge is will have to be more soft.

upload_2019-6-18_18-40-59.png

I know these are fine details and my partner just wants me to pick one. lol but I really love both of them and if I’m wearing it everyday will have to LOVE it too. I checked w some girlfriends and it’s a tie- wanted to see what other ppls opinion were or if anyone else has a ring similar to this then pls share :)

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-18_18-33-16.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-18_18-33-16.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 29

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Option two. I like the more delicate prongs and more visible pavilion.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I like the second one too. It looks more feminine and the design flows better... more fluid:bigsmile:... hopefully that made some sense..:mrgreen2:

BMI

Shiny_Rock
I prefer the second setting.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1st is a classic but I prefer the 2nd. It's more unique and shows off more of your stone. I'd feel confident HPD could make it delicate yet strong.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like both, but the second one is unique and awesome.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like #2

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Firstly, wow at being inspiration. That's kinda out of this world crazy. :oops2: I'm pleased actually, Pricescope helped me immensely with figuring out what I wanted, great to return the favour! :geek2:

I also like number 2. The reasons I like it more are:

It's more unique;
It looks like one piece rather than two pieces put together;
It will be easier to wear a wedding band flush to it;
It allows you to have a band that doesn't rise so much as the first one (as you know, that was one of my main goals);
I know you're getting a 2.26 G SI1 - lovely sounding diamond! - the fact that option two allows you to have a thinner band that's still strong will make the diamond pop even more and I think the proportions will be better. Yours is slightly larger than mine, but I had a rendering that had the proportions of a 2.4mm band and I thought it looked a bit disproportionate comparatively.

Honestly though, these are just our opinions and yours is the most important. If you love option one more, then go for it, it is still a work of art! I have every faith in the HPD bench, they will create a masterpiece for you.

Let us know what you choose! :D

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Option 2 *if* you don’t think you will eventually think the way it comes up on the side isn’t classic enough.
I sort of feel you could hone in on something that is of the classic style but would incorporate the more delicate look you are seeking as well as with the more fluid design.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always liked the first setting and feel like its a classic but the second setting is really grabbing my attention...more fluid and feminine. 2nd one has
my vote!

Redsparrow

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for all your votes!!! I liked the second one too, but after discussing with Layla again, there is a risk with this specific basket supporting my diamond (2.26 stone).

I’ll have to go with security and a better peace of mind so I picked option 1 :)

dinitegrity

Rough_Rock
2nd one is prettier imho although is totally personal and I'd have prefer it to be thinner band (always a fan of very sleek band) :D

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for all your votes!!! I liked the second one too, but after discussing with Layla again, there is a risk with this specific basket supporting my diamond (2.26 stone).

I’ll have to go with security and a better peace of mind so I picked option 1 :)

Security and peace of mind is more important. They ARE both beautiful. What did Layla say the risk was? I think ultimately if you didn't love it you wouldn't be able to choose it no matter the risk so that gives me faith that you really love option 1 - maybe even more than option 2? In which case great!

I'm a big believer that sometimes being told with enthusiasm one or the other option is better really helps solidify your own personal feelings about something and tells you which option is right for you. :geek2:

Looking forward to further updates!

Ps: I don't suppose you have any Wink diamond videos you're willing and able to share for your stone? :D No worries if you don't or don't wish to!

Redsparrow

Rough_Rock
The second option essentially has a basket that's only held on 2.2- 2.3mm shank. This is top heavy, with a lower center of gravity that can break off :(2

The only way to make option 2 work is if we widen the band and balance the weight. But this look will not give the 'thin band' that I like.

Option 1 basket is "built" (as opposed to floating) onto the shank so I can achieve the thin band look.

Yes of course!
Mines is the middle one :)

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
=)2 I find the aesthetics of the second setting has more fluidity. Its lines are more beautiful to my eye. I understand that the first one is more like the iconic classic setting but it just doesn't look as nice to me.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello All,
I saw the questions and am happy to shed a little light.
  • Redsparrow’s setting is being made by a manufacturing partner, not HPD. Our custom workshop uses casting methods that strengthen platinum in a way that makes it more like handforged (permitting more delicate designs) which you may have seen. But it’s not the method being used here.
  • Since this will be traditionally cast, Design 2 means the large head, with Redsparrow’s big (8.4mm!) diamond would be hanging on for dear life on top of that shank, held by only a single point of contact to a 2mm-2.3mm shank. In our experience this is not secure. Not even for museum pieces and especially not daily wear.
  • Design 1 allows for 3 points of contact, strengthening the connection between the head and the shank and permitting the lovely delicate shank she wants, but with a safe, secure connection to the large crown head.
  • Please also keep in mind the second image, with the rose gold, is a promotional image of a completed and fully polished ring. So it looks much more refined. Whereas the image for Design 2 is a CAD, which is a raw blueprint for a personalized piece of jewelry. It shows how the piece will come from casting, prior to the refined execution of prong-setting and shaping and polishing. CADs always look bulky.
At High Performance Diamonds we draw a line between what we could-do versus what we should-do in delicate detail, especially as diamond size gets larger. We need to make sure that the durability and safety is there, and sometimes that means a small sacrifice to design.

:wavey: We are excited about Redsparrow’s ring and she should have it on her finger, next month around this same time!

Last edited:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hello All,
I saw the questions and am happy to shed a little light.
  • Redsparrow’s setting is being made by a manufacturing partner, not HPD. Our custom workshop uses casting methods that strengthen platinum in a way that makes it more like handforged (permitting more delicate designs) which you may have seen. But it’s not the method being used here.
  • Since this will be traditionally cast, Design 2 means the large head, with Redsparrow’s big (8.4mm!) diamond would be hanging on for dear life on top of that shank, held by only a single point of contact to a 2mm-2.3mm shank. In our experience this is not secure. Not even for museum pieces and especially not daily wear.
  • Design 1 allows for 3 points of contact, strengthening the connection between the head and the shank and permitting the lovely delicate shank she wants, but with a safe, secure connection to the large crown head.
  • Please also keep in mind the second image, with the rose gold, is a promotional image of a completed and fully polished ring. So it looks much more refined. Whereas the image for Design 2 is a CAD, which is a raw blueprint for a customized piece of jewelry. It shows how the piece will come from casting, prior to the refined execution of prong-setting and shaping and polishing. CADs always look bulky.
At High Performance Diamonds we draw a line between what we could-do versus what we should-do in delicate detail, especially as diamond size gets larger. We need to make sure that the durability and safety is there, and sometimes that means a small sacrifice to design.

:wavey: Redsparrow's ring is going to be gorgeous and she should have it on her finger, next month around this same time!

This is a very nice explanation and this is certainly the stage to work out these design safety issues.

I think that is the key thing - that you do what should be done rather than what could be done. I think there are lots of benefits to Design 1, I saw Design 1 before I ever saw Design 2 and I really loved it. I think that durability is key and ultimately durability and design safety has to take priority over everything else. I know HPD will be super strict with the quality of the finished product so I personally think it will be glorious and I can't wait to see it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results