shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with diamond using HCA

dondiamante

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I have recently started looking for an engagement ring and after checking a variety of local shops with insane prices, I have come across JA & bluenile etc.
Since I am based in Europe (Spain), bluenile is a priori my preferred site as their prices include import taxes (if you know of other relatively cheap ones, please tell me).
I was about to buy a stone when I came accross the HCA rating. Turns out that all the stones I had seen rated >5 on that tool despite being excellent in cuts etc.

My question is: how do I filter for an adequate diamond which is:
eye-clean, G or whiter, no flourescence, 0.7ct, and a lot of sparkle and apparent size?
My budget is <3000€ for the stone - is that mission impossible?
Maybe you can tell me that the HCA rating doesn't really matter much or if it does, how can I adjust the search parameters to obtain only relevant results.

Thanks for your help. All the options really don't make it easier :)

For example, these gave >5 HCA:
https://www.bluenile.com/es/diamond...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab
https://www.bluenile.com/es/diamond...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! The measurements below will help you stay in the good range on the HCA. I do find it much easier to sort stones this way! You'll see where the stones you posted fall outside the parameters.

These are for GIA Excellent cut stones:

Table: 54-57

Depth: 62-62.3

Crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 may work with a 40.6 pav angle)

Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
Crafted by Infinity is a European company - they have sales offices in Europe. You might try contacting them - their diamonds are truly some of the best cut diamonds available. Excellent HCA scores.

dondiamante

Rough_Rock
thanks mate, that's exactly what i was looking for!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should add that GIA Excellent is an extremely broad range. AGS Ideal cut has narrower parameters and the numbers above help keep you in the high end of GIA Ex and within ideal cut range.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Given you are in Spain (and assuming the UK leaves the EU in the near future) you may want to consider dealing with the other European dealers of CBI stones listed on this page:
https://craftedbyinfinity.com/web/locations-europe/index.html

In the past, PS-ers have helped European posters to select stones and work with Fortrez based out of Antwerp.

parkour

Rough_Rock
Welcome! The measurements below will help you stay in the good range on the HCA. I do find it much easier to sort stones this way! You'll see where the stones you posted fall outside the parameters.

These are for GIA Excellent cut stones:

Table: 54-57

Depth: 62-62.3

Crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 may work with a 40.6 pav angle)

Pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9

Just wanted to clarify, does the depth range need to be that tight?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to clarify, does the depth range need to be that tight?

The deeper the stone, the more you may lose in diameter. So it's better to go for a lesser weight stone that has a 60-62.3 depth than go with a larger stone that faces up the same size because it's too deep. I might make an exception for 62.4 if the stone otherwise was outstanding.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I ordinarily allow up to 62.5, but other proportions of the stone need to be bang on the money. Other than that, I prefer my depth to be between 61.5-62.3

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In actuality, even though I said 60, the ideal cut stones will usually have 61-62.3 depth.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results