shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen assistance

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I agree with @Runningmama. JA should stop talking and quit playing the victim. This is a very bad situation for any company -- chipping a customer's engagement ring stone that the customer has worn for two years and holds huge sentimental value -- yikes. Like others here, I'm feeling very sad for OP and his fiancee. Fixing this (without SA's sharing the sordid details about how the stone will be recut and resold, and the setting scrapped!) should be JA's sole focus. If @YoungPapa believes this community's views are no longer in line with his current business model, maybe he should part ways with PS. If JA can't locate a diamond of the same or better quality, then maybe JA should reach out to BGD or HPD (both of whom have cut two-chevron princess cuts at some point, according to this https://niceice.com/diamond-grading...ts-on-princess-cut-diamond-light-performance/) and ask for their help. I suspect there isn't a fast, easy or low-cost fix to this situation, which may account for at least some of the defensiveness on the part of JA.

Last edited:

BMI

Shiny_Rock
OP, I like the last diamond SimoneDi found for you! The specs seem the most similar to the original diamond and I think it looks really pretty in the video.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@YoungPapa, I’m hoping you and your team come through for the OP. I am also hoping that your team reverse some of the policies you have implemented so that I can confidently recommend you as a vendor and your inventory again to friends, family and on PS.

While I’m not overly thrilled with current JA policies, prior to making those changes they were a vendor that I had recommended to other folks and that was due to how they had treated customers in the past. Let’s just all take a chill pill here and lay-off some of the verbiage that has been used to describe JA now. Leave this with the company and OP to sort out.

These types of incidents will happen (though as a rare occurrence), and given how JA does not have a large in-house inventory, especially for super ideal princess cuts (compared with some other super ideal princess cut vendors, *cough cough* WF *cough cough*), it is likely to take a little longer to get something that is comparable or better to OP’s original stone.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
"it is likely to take a little longer to get something that is comparable or better to OP’s original stone."

I know how to solve it. Someone at JA picks up the phone, calls WF, and cuts a deal to solve the problem. They broke it, they fix it. Now, today, not sometime later at their convenience.

That's if the customer comes first.

Does anybody believe JA doesn't have insurance to cover accidents?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over the last 13 years, I have always known Jim to make things right when there's been a problem on their end. I trust that they will this time, as well. There realistically aren't that many AGS ideal cut princess cuts out there, so I can see why it might take some time. I've already expressed my deep concern over changes on their site, and I am not feeling like this is the right thread to go into all that again. I agree with Yssie and her thoughts.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
I am deeply sorry for your situation and it something that should not happen to anyone.

Instead of being helpful, supportive and constructive many posts have implied that the vendor is horrible and making you feel worse about it. Many posts have been rude and inappropriate about a James, who in the last 20 years have stood behind the customer.

His recent decision to reduce information about a diamond readily available online to protect his business did not make changes to his great customer service which many consumers have been happy with.

I recommend you give James Allen a chance to make things right before you let these posts make you feel it is hopeless. I have known him for over 10 years and he is a good person who believes in PricesScope spirit and education.

Any further posts that are rude, inappropriate and not constructive to the thread will be removed and the poster will get timeouts.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The OP has shown extraordinary patience and restraint. They were notified by phone on 5/16/19 that the stone had been chipped.

Today is 6/16/19.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It almost seems like Admin did not read or understand OP's situation, and it certainly appears like Admin is siding with a vendor rather than supporting the consumer who clearly has been wronged in this situation. 30 days is more than long enough for a vendor to get it right. I am disappointed in JA's and Admin's posts in this thread.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Marymm,

I apologize if I may have worded it wrong, but my intention was to have people respect Michael13’s very emotional situation and not turn this into a vendor bashing.

I am not denying that Michael13 has been wronged. 30 days to correct a situation without proper communication is not right. James posted yesterday that he contacted Michael13 and is working to resolve this.

Venting about a vendor, especially after they posted that they are trying to resolve on it to me is insincere to the OP.

Michael13,

I am sorry about this sidetrack. I hope things will get resolved quickly with your satisfaction.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@psadmin Your playground, your rules. I strongly disagree re. the signal these policy changes send, but as @diamondseeker2006 pointed out this is not the appropriate thread for a rehash of that conversation and I must apologise to @Michael13 for my part in it.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I would have been heartbroken not to have been given the option of at least keeping my setting, for sentimental reasons, as well as the option to keep the repolished diamond. Surely, the "chip" could have been fixed, and the ring returned to the OP, with some form of compensation.Or, at the very least, keep the setting which OP proposed with, and put the new diamond in it.
The OP's fiance must be so upset. I wish JA had not acted so quickly, after all, weren't the diamond and setting still OP's property? To melt it down seems extreme. Apparently, JA offered their version of a remedy and acted on it, without prior knowledge and approval of OP, unless I missed something.
And, I'm sorry, but James Allen was already given a full month to make things right. They have not. The wedding is in July. This should not be an additional stressor.

Last edited:

tjkswift

Rough_Rock
Wow, what a terrible situation. I'd give JA a hard timeline for a resolution you're satisfied with, and not budge from that. You've already waited much longer than you should have had to. But in all honesty, if I were in your shoes, I'd want my money returned and I'd move on to another vendor. For me, this situation has become so messy, I wouldn't want to have any further dealings with them. Again, very sorry to hear of this very unfortunate situation.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My previous comments pertained only to the OP’s situation and were intended to affirm his suspicion that it could have been handled more professionally.

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
It looks like this is not a run-of-the-mill princess diamond and may take some time to find a like replacement. In the meantime, couldn't JA just give him a nice loaner stone? It's not ideal, but it would beat having to settle for something inferior or start completely over with the wedding less than a month away (especially when everyone's inventory with his desired specs is so limited).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this stone that @SimoneDi found is very nice. I suspect it is not a 2 chevron but still pretty, still True Hearts, slightly bigger and higher color but
with lower clarity. I'm sure JA will do the right thing. They are under a time crunch and I'm assuming they are taking that into consideration. It will
be a fail if her rings are not there for the wedding. I'm sure they know all this and are making it a high priority to get it right. Keep us posted @Michael13.
Do you only want it replaced with another 2 chevron stone @Michael13?
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.80-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-5677354

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi folks,

My team and I reconnected with Michael this morning. A replacement diamond has been selected and is in the process of being set. I also spoke with my staff to better understand why the process dragged on as long as it did, and implemented new policy to prevent something like this from happening again.

All the best,

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that one specifically the non-square table (the table has a lovely shape).
Good observation! I didn’t even notice that prior but it appears to be a gorgeous princess cut and a very clean VS2.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Oh ! I hope it's this one for sure! It's BEAUTIFUL! And I hope it sparkles through her tears, and she never cries again over this.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi folks,

My team and I reconnected with Michael this morning. A replacement diamond has been selected and is in the process of being set. I also spoke with my staff to better understand why the process dragged on as long as it did, and implemented new policy to prevent something like this from happening again.

All the best,

Now that's a good response. Glad that it's resolved.

Michael13

Rough_Rock
Hi @ Pricescope Forum!

It appears I may have created some turbulence with this issue (not my intention). I want to thank everyone who took the time to comment and or guide my Fiance and I in the right direction. I spoke with James early Saturday shortly after receiving his reply and couldn't have felt better.

James was quick to ensure me that this will be corrected and that it has gone on far too long. Mind you when i spoke with staff i did state, I'm very patient and understanding, we are all human after all, just as long as it was corrected before our wedding date. I knew previously that purchasing and or finding a true hearts 3/4 princess cut Diamond was extremely rare and would take time. I understood this and soo did the staff, i wanted the replacement to be a True hearts diamond as the original purchase. During our phone call Saturday morning , James's expertise shown through immediately as he mentioned that though True hearts princess cut diamonds are available a 3/4 was highly unlikely to be readily available especially with the same characteristics. He was very apologetic and told us he was sorry that we had to go through this and that everything would be taken care of come Monday morning and that he would be coaching and come to an understanding as to why the resolve was not found earlier.

As promised by James we received a phone call from the customer service manager who was eager to help remedy the situation, he was apologetic and ensured us that this matter would be corrected by end of day, which it was. I'm happy to report that JA was able to find us a suitable diamond replacement and have been taking all the necessary steps to ensure we receive the diamond on time and that we our 110% satisfied.

I will continue to support James and James Allen, I 'm a firm believer that if you can come to count on an owner/manager/CEO however you would like to depict a Representative even though their might have been an error or procedure that now needs to be implemented, it speaks volumes about how an individual goes to correct a mistake.

We are eager to receive the band back with her replacement diamond and cant wait to share it once again with friends and family.

Once again thank you to all the forum members, James, James Allen and Pricescope.

Thanks

Michael

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We are all very curious about the replacement diamond. Mind sharing the details? So happy for you that you will have a beautiful ring to give to your fiancé in time for the wedding! Such a relief.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Michael13 I am beyond thrilled for you that you were able to get resolution for your situation! Please do come back and share pictures when you have your rings, and many blessings for a happy wedding day & marriage to your intended! :appl:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone, i really appreciate the support. This really made us feel alone.

I would prefer they correct the situation as the band and ring match quite well. Also with our wedding date soo close , ahh lol i mean dont even know where to begin to be honest or once again i should say. This is the type of purchase you do once. I did all the research and sleepless nights for an entire year before settling on JA's promise and product.

It is beginning to feel that way @Runningmama , i have been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but the diamonds have not even been close to match my purchase.

You are all correct, they will melt the ring down, cut the diamond and resell it and also claim the loss with insurance as i have been told by several staff members. The thought of her Diamond(it is hers) on someone else literally made my Fiance vomit. it has not been a fun situation.

diamond cert.jpg
that does not sound ethical
the chipped diamond shouid now belong to their insurence company
im so sad for you and your bride to be going through this
may every thing else be smooth sailing in the lead up to the big day

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results