shape
carat
color
clarity

Does a six prong setting let in less light? Pics please!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
FE99D8C5-0801-435F-A36E-DEE219B9194B.jpeg 9826E9C6-628C-48D8-8889-4ED6891E0A96.jpeg 4266DAAF-307F-43C5-A531-E5E0C4BE445E.jpeg
Hi..I’m struggling to decide if I will reset my diamond. I have tapered baguettes in a four prong setting. I think the low setting swallows my diamond. I want to make it higher but I also would like a six prong. If you went from a four prong to a six prong...did you notice a difference in brilliance? I read it can minimize the light getting to the diamond. I would love to see pics of your six prong settings..Thanks!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Light does not come in from under the stone-otherwise bezel set diamonds would not sparkle as much. The prongs will be placed atop the crown so you may not get the flash from those particular facets that are under the prong. There are many style of prongs that vary in length, thickness and style. If you go with a higher setting there is a risk of more banging or catching than a lower setting. Ergo why the 6 prong setting is better for potential damage control if one prong gets pulled. I think your current setting is beautiful.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go with a higher setting there is a risk of more banging or catching than a lower setting.
Yup, I reseted my wife's stone from a 4 prong to a 6 prong and I see no difference in sparkle. The 6 prong made the stone look more rounded.

IMG_2954.JPG
image004.jpg

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are faceted in such a way that light entering through the top is reflected around and comes back out. That’s why cut is so important. If the angles aren’t right and light rays “leak” instead of coming back out, you lose brilliance. So prongs have no effect on brilliance / sparkle.
It’s all in the precision of faceting to the right angles and proportions.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am sure that if you had the scientific instruments that could measure to the bazillionth of a geewhizometer that there must be some fraction of a minuscule amount less light with a six prong head than a four prong head.

Hmm, maybe not. Perhaps, since the four prongs tend to be slightly heavier since there are only four of them, the thinner six prongs might possibly return the same light or if the four prong head was made by a heavy handed artisan perhaps even slightly more. (My head is starting to hurt, thinking of all of the possibilities...)

In any case, the effect of the prongs on the brilliance of the diamond will be so slight as to not be observable to the unaided eye.

The beauty of the diamond is largely determined by the quality of the cut. The six prong heads do tend to make the diamond look rounder than four prong heads, and since our eyes do not like jagged edges, the six prong heads will tend to make the diamond look slightly larger as well.

However, some designs call out for a four prong head and would not work well with a six prong head.

It all boils down to personal taste. Which do you prefer?

Wink

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What Wink said.
I would not worry about the difference if one exists and it could go the other way.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:roll2:I’ve had both 6 prong and 4 prong. I am not sure about brilliance but I do like the fact that 4 prongs are easier to clean around than 6 prongs. A cleaner diamond is a sparkler diamond!!!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. And I’ve had many many settings. Lol. That said, the one time my stone really really seemed super brilliant, like more than ever, was when it was set high, compass style but I don’t know if the effect was due to the lifeless melee it was surrounded by. Lol.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think it’s the prongs but more the basket that affects light.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone! I don’t know why I didn’t get alerts for this! I appreciate the feedback! :kiss2:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
@Mamabean- thanks for asking this question. I had the same question as I contemplate changing to a 6 prong when I get my next upgrade ;-). What setting are you thinking of? I am liking the U113 that many people here love. Not sure that the shank size is but would love to have it in 1.9mm or 2mm as it seems not many would recommend a 1.8mm. Thanks!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean- thanks for asking this question. I had the same question as I contemplate changing to a 6 prong when I get my next upgrade ;-). What setting are you thinking of? I am liking the U113 that many people here love. Not sure that the shank size is but would love to have it in 1.9mm or 2mm as it seems not many would recommend a 1.8mm. Thanks!
I’m trying to decide if I will ask David to make me a similar setting to the one I have but six prongs. I wouldn’t want a basket setting..so to add the extra prongs it would have to be like the one I had before this one...higher than the one I have now but lower than the first one. I spent 5k on my last setting so having trouble justifying starting over in a year’s time. I like the setting but it’s too low and looks square with four prongs. If I could find a ready made six prong setting...that would solve my problem. I would just get a colored stone to put in my latest setting...and start over. Can you post a photo of the setting you’re considering? I don’t recognize the number you mentioned. Thanks!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I’m trying to decide if I will ask David to make me a similar setting to the one I have but six prongs. I wouldn’t want a basket setting..so to add the extra prongs it would have to be like the one I had before this one...higher than the one I have now but lower than the first one. I spent 5k on my last setting so having trouble justifying starting over in a year’s time. I like the setting but it’s too low and looks square with four prongs. If I could find a ready made six prong setting...that would solve my problem. I would just get a colored stone to put in my latest setting...and start over. Can you post a photo of the setting you’re considering? I don’t recognize the number you mentioned. Thanks!

@Mamabean - it’s this one. https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1778.htm

There’s quite a few PS’ers who have this setting. It didn’t catch my interest while browsing for settings on WF but it looked way better on real pics from people here. I like a few of CVB’s six prong settings too but don’t want the hassle of sending the diamond to another vendor to be set. Can’t wait to see what you choose.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean - it’s this one. https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1778.htm

There’s quite a few PS’ers who have this setting. It didn’t catch my interest while browsing for settings on WF but it looked way better on real pics from people here. I like a few of CVB’s six prong settings too but don’t want the hassle of sending the diamond to another vendor to be set. Can’t wait to see what you choose.
Thank you @Dmndsr4evr11! I would like to buy a setting and just have a local jeweler set it if I don’t send it off to David. Let me know what you decide to do!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of thoughts. I love your current setting! The diamond is set at medium height and I wouldn't set it any higher. The higher the stone, the more likely you may whack it against something. Diamonds can chip and even crack. For a setting with side baguettes, I think four prongs is the best design. I don't see it looking right with 6. 6 is great for a solitaire. Your prongs certainly are not so big that it makes the stone look square at all. It looks totally round.

As you can see, the Tiffany setting is similar to yours, but this stone appears to be set lower than yours. I like the height of your stone better.

https://www.tiffany.com/engagement/...th-baguette-side-stones-in-platinum-GRP10898/

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Dmndsr4evr11! I would like to buy a setting and just have a local jeweler set it if I don’t send it off to David. Let me know what you decide to do!
@Mamabean - mine may be a while before my next upgrade;-). Here are the links to the cvb solitaire settings that I like. https://www.etsy.com/listing/514443...aire-by?ref=landingpage_similar_listing_top-5

https://www.etsy.com/listing/230453061/the-cvb-id-jovyn-classic-six-prong

I’d like it in platinum.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
A couple of thoughts. I love your current setting! The diamond is set at medium height and I wouldn't set it any higher. The higher the stone, the more likely you may whack it against something. Diamonds can chip and even crack. For a setting with side baguettes, I think four prongs is the best design. I don't see it looking right with 6. 6 is great for a solitaire. Your prongs certainly are not so big that it makes the stone look square at all. It looks totally round.

As you can see, the Tiffany setting is similar to yours, but this stone appears to be set lower than yours. I like the height of your stone better.

https://www.tiffany.com/engagement/...th-baguette-side-stones-in-platinum-GRP10898/

@diamondseeker2006 - I agree with the 4 prong vs 6 prong is with baguettes. What is the ideal medium height? I also agree with you in too high of a setting likely to get whacked easily and get caught onto something.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 - I agree with the 4 prong vs 6 prong is with baguettes. What is the ideal medium height? I also agree with you in too high of a setting likely to get whacked easily and get caught onto something.

I can't really say what the ideal medium height is numerically, because so much depends on the size of the diamond and the style of setting. I can see the culet of the diamond in Mambean's picture, and there is a gap between that and the base of her shank. It has room that it could have been set lower, but I like it the way it is at a more medium height. I do not think it would look right set higher.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I can't really say what the ideal medium height is numerically, because so much depends on the size of the diamond and the style of setting. I can see the culet of the diamond in Mambean's picture, and there is a gap between that and the base of her shank. It has room that it could have been set lower, but I like it the way it is at a more medium height. I do not think it would look right set higher.
@diamondseeker2006 - I just looked at her ring again and I agree I don’t think it’s set too low and any higher would be too high. It’s hard to judge without seeing it on the her finger too though. @Mamabean- can you take a profile pic of it on your finger ?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
4607D9B1-9FCC-4E05-B5DB-4C9AB3B7DB6B.jpeg
Thank you @diamondseeker2006 and @Dmndsr4evr11 Here is a pic of it on my finger showing the profile. I know it’s blurry but at least you can get an idea.
I’ve been getting so many comments from other people too that they love the setting..and I shouldn’t do a six prong with baguettes. I don’t think it would be worth it to just raise the basket...I may wear it like this for a while and reset it later without the baguettes. I also didn’t notice that you can see the culet clearly so it’s not that low. I think the baguettes make it seem that way because it’s hiding some of the height of the basket. I have a fun alternative ring coming from David soon. It’s an AV moissanite in a six prong soli setting. That should help me decide what to do later...Every time I take out the baguette ring I’m struck with how pretty it is...I think I’ll shelve my crazy idea..at least for a while. Thanks so much for helping me decide!:kiss2:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
4607D9B1-9FCC-4E05-B5DB-4C9AB3B7DB6B.jpeg
Thank you @diamondseeker2006 and @Dmndsr4evr11 Here is a pic of it on my finger showing the profile. I know it’s blurry but at least you can get an idea.
I’ve been getting so many comments from other people too that they love the setting..and I shouldn’t do a six prong with baguettes. I don’t think it would be worth it to just raise the basket...I may wear it like this for a while and reset it later without the baguettes. I also didn’t notice that you can see the culet clearly so it’s not that low. I think the baguettes make it seem that way because it’s hiding some of the height of the basket. I have a fun alternative ring coming from David soon. It’s an AV moissanite in a six prong soli setting. That should help me decide what to do later...Every time I take out the baguette ring I’m struck with how pretty it is...I think I’ll shelve my crazy idea..at least for a while. Thanks so much for helping me decide!:kiss2:
@Mamabean - It’s not low but I think you’re right that the baguettes just seem to make it look lower and also when paired with your eternity ring with large stones. It doesn’t seem to be that low when it’s just with the smaller band. Good luck with whatever choice you make ;-).

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4 prongs might be a little easier to clean than 6 prongs, but 6 prongs is safer.
I sat through 3 hours of orchestra rehearsal with a 2.05 D-VS2 in my pocket, it fell out of a 4 prong mounting when someone slammed a door on my hand.

I think the height of the diamond might have some influence too. I don't like mine squished in too low.

Here is a 6-prong mounting, HPD Symphonie which contains a 2.79 F-VS1 CBI diamond that can be seen from all angles. I generally don't like baskets that cut the pavilion in half.

20171027_135730.jpg

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
4 prongs might be a little easier to clean than 6 prongs, but 6 prongs is safer.
I sat through 3 hours of orchestra rehearsal with a 2.05 D-VS2 in my pocket, it fell out of a 4 prong mounting when someone slammed a door on my hand.

I think the height of the diamond might have some influence too. I don't like mine squished in too low.

Here is a 6-prong mounting, HPD Symphonie which contains a 2.79 F-VS1 CBI diamond that can be seen from all angles. I generally don't like baskets that cut the pavilion in half.

20171027_135730.jpg
@cflutist- I love, love your ring! I never get tired of looking at it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results