shape
carat
color
clarity

Is my diamond cloudy?

Elwa14

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I'm hoping that you could help me figure out whether there is an issue with my diamond. I've copied the GIA report details below.

The diamond looked great in the jewelry shop, and I've attached a photo of it in that light (the background is a light blue and my nails are painted dark in that photo).

The other photos are from various times, some when I was trying the ring on with wedding bands. In certain lights it looks ok (fluorescent, it seems), but it almost always seems to look incredibly cloudy, especially in the center, in other light. I've cleaned the ring thoroughly several times, but to no avail - it always seems to look worse in photos than it does looking directly at the ring, but it certainly does not have the same sparkly look as it did in the shop.

Do you have any thoughts as to what's happening? Is it just poor ring quality? Thanks for your thoughts!

IMG_0133.jpg IMG_0152.PNG IMG_0155.PNG IMG_0156.PNG

Cushion cut modified brilliant
7.14 x 6.72 x 4.69 mm
Carat Weight
2.01 carat
Color Grade
J
Clarity Grade
SI1
Depth
Table-to-culet depth, expressed as a percentage of average girdle diameter for round shapes or width for fancy shapes.
69.9 %
Table
67 %
Girdle
Thick to Very Thick, Faceted
Polish - Very Good
Symmetry - Good
Flourescence - None
https://www.gia.edu/otmm_wcs_int/pr...TIMG&IMG_NO1=9EF32FC4DFEAA0156495A011D70B853E

Culet
None

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
I’m not an expert on this, but based on the GIA diagram it looks like there are multiple “clouds” (which are the red dotted ovals) right in the center of the diamond, combined with the SI1 clarity, I think that could be the main cause of your diamond looking cloudy.

From the GIA website,

Cloud
Many tightly grouped pinpoints that might be too small to distinguish individually but together have a hazy appearance.

In my opinion it does not seem like a problem with your ring, but rather the diamond itself.

Maybe the other PSers can chime in with better ideas!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the answer is yes, it is likely cloudy and dull because there appears on the plot to be very few easily seen inclusions in the plot.
But the ledger of inclusions is still a secret - please post ALL the info.
And of course it would be good to see a photo under the diamondto see if it is dirty.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think that the cut may be causing the cloudy look. When you cleaned it did you get the bottom
side of the stone really well? Try taking it to a jeweler and having it cleaned.

Are you within the return window by any chance?

Elwa14

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone! We’re unfortunately outside of the return window. Is it possible that the diamond could really look this differently in the shop versus outside?

I soaked the ring and used a gentle brush, but am not sure whether I was able to remove all dirt from the bottom, could that be causing an issue?

Elwa14

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Gary! Where would I find the ledger of all inclusions? The GIA report included a note of “pinpoints not shown.”

I think the answer is yes, it is likely cloudy and dull because there appears on the plot to be very few easily seen inclusions in the plot.
But the ledger of inclusions is still a secret - please post ALL the info.
And of course it would be good to see a photo under the diamondto see if it is dirty.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone! We’re unfortunately outside of the return window. Is it possible that the diamond could really look this differently in the shop versus outside?

I soaked the ring and used a gentle brush, but am not sure whether I was able to remove all dirt from the bottom, could that be causing an issue?

Yes, it is very possible for diamonds to look vastly different under jewelry store lighting vs. real world lighting. Jewelry store lighting is designed to make even subpar diamonds look good. As others noted, if you can post the entire info on the report (particularly the clarity list and comments), that would be helpful. But the clouds depicted under the table could definitely be a cause for concerns of cloudiness.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, even an MRB can look a bit hazy if not clean. My first thought when seeing your diamond is that it needs a good clean. This is one of my favorite, easy to use jewelry cleaners: Blitz Gem and Jewelry Cleaner 8 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F1MXOK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4Z-6CbWEB2QYX
Once you finish cleaning it, dry it with a hairdryer.

Also, as others suggested, can you please share what are the primary inclusions as noted on the report?

Elwa14

Rough_Rock
9A8F69C4-DC2A-4135-B3F0-BD4D2D05AA98.png F6B0C531-A580-4588-AE95-0EE9FE900BC3.png B6316BBA-2207-45C0-B726-9930CC2BE2CA.png
Thank you! I’ve now posted all of the parts of the report here.

Yes, it is very possible for diamonds to look vastly different under jewelry store lighting vs. real world lighting. Jewelry store lighting is designed to make even subpar diamonds look good. As others noted, if you can post the entire info on the report (particularly the clarity list and comments), that would be helpful. But the clouds depicted under the table could definitely be a cause for concerns of cloudiness.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looked like it needs a good clean to me too try soaking in windex for several hours (I swear it works) and then the toothbrush with just really hot water.... if it's still cloudy then yes it's clouds in the diamond....

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
Is it possible that the diamond could really look this differently in the shop versus outside?
@Elwa14 I do think it is possible. At 1:35 in this video he starts talking about haziness. At about 4:40 all he does is change the lighting and the haziness disappears. Perhaps the store you bought it at had this same type of diffuse lighting.

This gentleman from Good Old Gold (I'm sorry I don't know his name) has many informative videos on his youtube channel. I have learned a lot from him.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats great @Elwa14 ! Because fancy cuts dont usually have the light return of rounds you have to keep them really clean. A lot of Pricescopers
clean their rings daily if not every few days.

Hot water, dawn dish detergent, and a toothbrush work well for me but you need to do it often. Once the grim builds up you will need a deeper cleaning.
I also have a steam cleaner and an ultrasonic but use those more for deep cleaning.

Pave should not be put in ultrasonics. Apparently, it can shake the melee loose.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad it was a simple fix!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was going to post that it looked like it had some "finger gooky" on the bottom of the diamond. I am happy to see that you got good advice here and then found that it was indeed as simple as a trip a jeweler for a good cleaning.

Wink

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad all it needed was a good cleaning! Looks much better!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results