shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about High setting vs Low Setting

helphelp911

Rough_Rock
Hi, i always wondering. If i have very deep / dark color stone. If i set it high, will the stone look brighter ?

On the other hand, If i have light color stone, if i set it low, will the stone looks more saturated, darker color?

thanks

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes it depends more on the cut of the stone. Things like Bezels really darken some stones too. I'm not sure setting it up higher (where you risk bumping it or catching it more) is better, just a more open style setting would be my advise....

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Less metal under the gallery = more light = brighter face up look?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Less metal under the gallery = more light = brighter face up look?

No less metal around the whole stone ie if you have open sides you allow more light in from more angles. My original E-ring was a untreated ruby my MIL picked my husband had it set in a bezel, so unless full sunlight or strong overhead lighting hits it (then it's a vivid blood red) the thing is almost always too dark..... It needed to be set in a open prong style setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also depends on the stone. While I think you can deepen tone in some pastel or lighter toned gems by haloing them, or setting them lower with a halo, there is no hope for some darker gems. Some will always look too dark no matter what you do.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It probably depends, but I just had a dark stone set in a pretty high and relatively open setting and it looks brighter than it did loose, at least in some lighting. So I guess it helps some stones at least.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It probably depends, but I just had a dark stone set in a pretty high and relatively open setting and it looks brighter than it did loose, at least in some lighting. So I guess it helps some stones at least.
Yes, it depends, but some gems are beyond helping!! Lol, I bought too many of those.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
One way to tell is to play with the stone, covering more or less of its pavilion up to the girdle... Holding it in the groove between two fingers (back of the hand) resembles what a relatively open setting does, sinking the entire pavilion in something opaque (modelling clay) is the worst; even a closed bezel provids some reflective metal surface behind the pavilion, which works with the cut (in mysterious ways) - in theory any metal foil works to model the situation, but it is somewhat difficult to wrap lilttle stones this way.

IHMO, the question is TOO complicated to consider in theory & trying out easy... I would not trust guessing how a stone might work from pictures.

I tend to like light colors & closed settings - a not so obvious arrangement that does work really well every tenth blue moon...

2c

helphelp911

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all info. I am in progress setting a quite dark blue sapphire. The jeweler told me i should do a high setting which will minimize the 'dark' spot on the gem.

But i like low setting because it won't hit anything.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results