shape
carat
color
clarity

Went to Shreve Crump and Low in Boston and they....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A truly professional staff person would've made it clear beforehand *why* they needed to test it, like, "It's part of our standard intake to examine and check the stone before we do anything with it. This protects everyone involved. Is this OK with you?"

This. Exactly. My ring is worth a great deal of money. I don't allow anyone to handle it in any way that isn't without my say-so. Period.

And just to add - I am not offended easily and I have an excellent sense of humor and appreciation for the absurd. But I think doing ANYTHING to people's belongings without running it by them first is not ok. It's a respect thing. It's a boundaries thing. It's a common sense and politeness thing.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
mmm lets check the prongs before you we clean it.
Pulls out loupe or microscope and checks the prongs at the same time making sure its diamond.
It has been going on for decades.
It is the rule at many shops and should be in all that nothing leaves the customers sight until its checked.
At the less skill required to work there stores they used a diamond tester.
Its been going on for a very long time.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
imho its more of a problem to say I'm checking your stone to make sure its diamond.
The response would be:
WHAT!!!! you think my diamond is fake!?!?!?!?!?!?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K right?! It’s all in the approach. Some have more finesse than others.

ETA: I was trained to check for loose prongs, worn-down prongs, cracked stones, thinning shanks, any sort of wear and tear we could turn into a “repair,” meaning we’d do the necessary repair work (if the customer wanted it!) and that was oftentimes more lucrative than selling something off the floor. People come in with their heirlooms and don’t like hearing/ being shown that they’re falling apart and need some TLC. That TLC can be expensive, but most are willing to pay for the labor, etc. so they can continue wearing their very sentimental pieces.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since it was mentioned about checking their diamonds, most places should have no issue showing you the inclusions or the inscription of a diamond your looking at under a microscope.
Walking out of the store before purchase even with the sales person with you is an insurance and security thing and not going to be allowed most places.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
imho its more of a problem to say I'm checking your stone to make sure its diamond.
The response would be:
WHAT!!!! you think my diamond is fake!?!?!?!?!?!?

Exactly. Meaning that you and I feel completely differently on this issue. Meaning allowance needs to be made, rather than a 'one size fits all' approach.

And obviously I was exaggerating about walking outside with a diamond. But you get the general point.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is very rude. I am sorry they don’t see well cut diamonds like yours very often.

Sadly it is not uncommon for jewelry store employees to lack tact. I made a post about a trip I made a while back when I had stopped in a jewelry store and let them clean my ring. They asked the details of my diamond saying how pretty it was.
The employee louped my ring in front of me, then had the nerve to “ inform me” that the ring was laser inscribed by GIA and that I could look the number up anytime I wanted to.
He then proceeded to get his iPad type device and LOOK UP THE INSCRIPTION and show me. I couldn’t believe that employees thought I would not have known how to look up my own diamonds information. I was quite offended that one would assume I was that unaware.
DH later said he probably had never seen such a beautiful ring, becuase most of the diamonds they actually sell out the door are not like mine.
While he may not have been wrong I felt it was at the very least to be treated as if I couldn’t remember my own rings information.

I only let the jewelry store I had make the ring clean it now. They also re dip and check the prongs on it for me at no charge every year so it stays looking as gorgeous as the day I bought it.

I am sorry they were rude to you. That should not have happened IMO.

Last edited:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is very rude. I am sorry they don’t see well cut diamonds like yours very often.

Sadly it is not uncommon for jewelry store employees to lack tact. I made a post about a trip I made a while back when I had stopped in a jewelry store and let them clean my ring. They asked the details of my diamond saying how pretty it was.
The employee louped my ring in front of me, then had the nerve to “ inform me” that the ring was laser inscribed by GIA and that I could look the number up anytime I wanted to.
He then proceeded to get his iPad type device and LOOK UP THE INSCRIPTION and show me. I couldn’t believe that employees thought I would not have known how to look up my own diamonds information. I was quite offended that one would assume I was that unaware.
DH later said he probably had never seen such a beautiful ring, becuase most of the diamonds they actually sell out the door are not like mine.
While he may not have been wrong I felt it was at the very least to be treated as if I couldn’t remember my own rings information.

I only let the jewelry store I had make the ring clean it now. They also re dip and check the prongs on it for me at no charge every year so it stays looking as gorgeous as the day I bought it.

I am sorry they were rude to you. That should not have happened IMO.
Of all the nerve! :lol: Look, most people that walk into jewelry stores on a daily basis are 80-90% clueless about their diamond’s stats. Seems to me that SA was trying to educate you and had no idea you know more than he does. Seems to me he was trying to be helpful not insulting imo.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am darn tempted to shove this thread to S,C$L with instructions to test their tester - before it insults more good people & drives staff insane... Presuming they have figured as much days ago & have not yet resorted to Google to find out to whom to make amends.

Candid proposal to whom it may concern: do validate the tester at least before acting on bad news, lest this.

_

Digressing,

The shop is never crowded to begin with - so they can be endlessly polite... I certainly recall walking in with my first ring - a pebble in a gold bezel, & a dubious looking bag of books (I am old enough to have worked with paper: a pointy vertebra in my lower back keeps reminding carying those bags...). In retrospect, I must have looked like a petty thief... - with a small gold ring & interest in star sapphires.

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe they thought the diamonds were not real because the diamonds are so well cut, and they *never* see real diamonds that well cut. The idea amuses me. . .:lol:

This occurred to me, too. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results