shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it offensive if someone says your diamond ring has a big table?

LadyE

Rough_Rock
Forgive my ignorance - just trying to understand what “a big table” means. Thanks in advance!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious (and want more details), what shape stone are we talking here? How big of a table is it? (should be on your report).

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well a big table is bad IMO but it’s nothing to get offended by, lol. Either it’s true or not. Like saying you have a flat tire...

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
lol I don’t know if it could be considered “offensive”?

If you mean, is it bad to have a diamond with a big table, it depends how big the table actually is .... generally speaking, the table alone does not determine whether it’s a good cut, unless it’s way too big. Usually, the bigger the table, the more white light return and less coloured light return (fire) ... at least that’s the theory. Or a big table could be the result of a really shallow crown (or shallow crown is result of big table) especially if paired with a low crown angle. Most people prefer fire, so it can be a bad thing to have a big table ... depending on your visual preferences. Some people like bigger tables. With less of the diamond weight in the crown, these diamonds have more spread. Basically, as the table gets bigger, the diamond gets brighter but more lifeless.

According to Holloway Diamonds ... the best performing diamonds have table sizes from 55 - 60%.
https://www.hollowaydiamonds.com.au/table-size

LadyE

Rough_Rock
5CBDDCC6-BA7D-4237-9895-9F65FE7D9C2F.jpeg So I don’t know the stats and the report is not handy- I’m traveling on business and this was said by someone in the pool- here is a very poor home pic right now...
I know I shouldn’t care or get offended just thought it strange for someone I don’t know to inspect my ring poolside - I just wouldn’t do that

L

lydial

Maybe they were trying to compliment you, but didn’t know the words for “high carat center diamond”, so said “big table”? If you aren’t using a loupe or examining reports, most folks wouldn’t know a big table from a tiny one. I would say your poolside person’s opinion is irrelevant. Enjoy your beautiful jewelry and your weekend!!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not offensive.
Some like a big table because it makes the diamond appear spready. In that case, they will appreciate your comment for recognizing the intention.
In another scenario, they will have no idea what you are talking about. Therefore, no offense.

Edit, in your case, if someone was able to tell your diamond had a big table at a glance, you need to make a friend with her/him. :). Maybe a PS member??

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
5CBDDCC6-BA7D-4237-9895-9F65FE7D9C2F.jpeg So I don’t know the stats and the report is not handy- I’m traveling on business and this was said by someone in the pool- here is a very poor home pic right now...
I know I shouldn’t care or get offended just thought it strange for someone I don’t know to inspect my ring poolside - I just wouldn’t do that
i think its very strange and somewhat rude
i am from a part of my country where we talk to strangers and i compliment other ladies on there accessories all the time
i would not say this
some people don't even know they are being rude with so many people on the autism spectrum these days
don't take it too hard
its more impirtant you like your ring

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they actually know what they are talking about it would simply just be true or not. I have one diamond ring where the stone has a "big table", I have another that does not. I would think their tone when they said it would be more important. Were they trying to offend or just commenting?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with others. Some people equate large table with facing up larger (I dont abide by this). It would not surprise me if they were
trying to compliment you on the size of your stone.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This sounds like a feeble attempt to compliment your diamond.
I believe the tone that was used would be a better indicator. Though, I agree it is a strange thing to say, some are not quite so articulate, when it comes to jewelry.
Perhaps, “Big Rock” would have been a better choice of words? lol! :lol-2:
“It’s LOVELY” would have been mine!!!
Enjoy your beauty, and don’t worry about others’ poor choice of words!! ;)2

m51galaxy

Shiny_Rock
The ring in my avatar has a 65% table according to appraisal. It has no "cert" from GIA, etc. We got it in 1993 and didn't know anything about diamonds. I've received many compliments on it over the years in spite of the large table I think because it keep that diamond clean. Yes I wish it had a better cut with a smaller table, but DH and I picked it out together and it has sentimental value. I also have the diamond ring that my dad bought for my mom back in 1951 and it too has a large table. I always thought her diamond was sparkly and beautiful. So I guess a comment on a large table would be neutral if the tone of the comment was neutral.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For several decades jewelry professionals were trained to emphasize a big table as a positive. That comment may be connected to larger glare under bright lights, the potential of having more spread for the weight, or the diamond possibly seeming larger when motionless (ymmv). This training evolved at a time when round brilliants with larger tables were being proliferated. None of the positive notions are wrong - although 'seeming larger' is a function of edge to edge brightness due to complimentary angles, more than anything else.

So, in the context of jewelry sales culture, I would wager the comment was intended as a compliment.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would be tickeld someone knew what that meant, but I would be suspicious that the average person was trying to tell you that you have a nice big diamond.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring in my avatar has a 65% table according to appraisal. It has no "cert" from GIA, etc. We got it in 1993 and didn't know anything about diamonds. I've received many compliments on it over the years in spite of the large table I think because it keep that diamond clean. Yes I wish it had a better cut with a smaller table, but DH and I picked it out together and it has sentimental value. I also have the diamond ring that my dad bought for my mom back in 1951 and it too has a large table. I always thought her diamond was sparkly and beautiful. So I guess a comment on a large table would be neutral if the tone of the comment was neutral.

Shout out to the 1993 diamonds with no certificates! Mine is now a pendant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results