carat
color
clarity

Help/ opinions on elongated french cut band

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi all,
I have been thinking about what I want for some time as I have been engaged for about 1.5 years and am coming up on our wedding date so I need to decide. For the last month or so I was bouncing back and forth between a french cut band vs an elongated french cut band - I am thinking I settled on the elongated version as I think it will look better with my E-ring.. Also, I am deciding between vendors. I have reached out to Victor Canera and Caysie VB and am now debating between the two. I have not worked with either before so experiences with them both would be helpful. I am also bouncing back and forth on the width. My Engagement ring band is 2.3mm and I was thinking slightly wider would be nice for the band, but am not sure how much the visual impact would be for an elongated french cut band to go from 2.3mm to 2.5-2.6mm. Here are some photos of my engagement ring for reference. TIA for your opinions...
20171223_140807.jpg 20180216_141247.jpg prongs.jpg 20171223_083407.jpg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ER width: 2.0mm
Anniversary Band (center) width: 1.8mm
WR width: 2.5mm
Baguettes are not French Cuts, but they’re “elongated” in shape. They compliment my EC.

Just for reference. My finger is a size 5.5; my rings are size 6 for stacking & comfort in the humid weather.

8C3033CC-53C9-4A94-BDAA-6168001334BC.jpeg D599DC60-B72A-4124-B647-47F80EB15084.jpeg

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to say that another option for you is Langs Antiques. I've tried on both square and elongated French cut channel set eternity rings there. They will custom make your size, and they are also high quality. Thought I'd tell you in case it is useful for a timing/price comparison.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you like this look but may be worth trying a bezeled band on. Your lovely ering has a band that is a wall of sparkle and adding a metal outline into the mix will give some visual contrast. Have you had a chance to try french cut bands or baguettes as a stand in to see what proportions you like?

Something kinda like...
Screenshot_20190523-215947_Chrome.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know they're shot in the magic lights that make everything look awesome :D but these are perhaps useful (or are good eye candy, if nothing else :razz: lol):

WRT width and FC vs EFC, you could do as matthews1127 has done and alternate two styles round the band - that would mean you get to enjoy both cuts! - but you might need to stay at, what, 3mm(ish) in order to not overwhelm your ER??

Or, you know, just go all out and get massive 5mm rocks for maximum finger coverage and bling, which I would applaud ;-) :lol:

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing to consider is future resizing. It is generally easier to resize a band with smaller stones (shorter) than longer stones. The longer the stone, the less it can "hug" a curve. If your ring goes up in size, that is less of an issue than if it goes down in size.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Between the vendors you are considering 1000000% please go with VC.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the elongated will look better with your ering. Since the ering band is round, the elongated with provide a better contrast than the small square French cuts. I would go with VC. His work is gorgeous!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of melee are on the band of your ering? I've seen some stunning french cut bands and be ready for the sparkle. As you probably already know, they don't sparkle the way a step cut do. The flashes are big. Even with a french cut band that is 2.3-2.6 mm wide, the flashes aren't as numerous but are big. Since you have an asscher, it may "out-sparkle" your asscher. I'm not in anyway criticizing your asscher. I love step cuts and dream of having a big huge one. But the sparkle between an asscher and a french cut are totally different. Ok, so assuming you are cool with that, I think you don't need to go wider than the width of the band of your ering. Given the sparkle of french cuts already, wearing a band wider than the band of your ering will draw the eye away from your ering even more. I should say that is just me. Maybe you don't see the sparkle that way, and it's all good then. And if you want something really gorgeous, alternating single cuts and elongated french cuts would be stunning. I have worked only with Victor. His work is impeccable and jaw dropping, and he's very professional and timely. I have seen Caysie's work, and the work is beautiful as well. I don't know who would source prettier french cuts. The prettiest french cuts I have ever seen were from Single Stone, but I can't stomach the prices. Good luck! Can't wait to see what you choose.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the elongated will look better with your ering. Since the ering band is round, the elongated with provide a better contrast than the small square French cuts. I would go with VC. His work is gorgeous!

Yes that's what I was thinking, the elongated would provide a nice contrast, also why I was thinking a slightly wider band. But I keep flip flopping between the two. We're also paying for the wedding and the upgrade from 2.3mm to 2.6 is feeling somewhat significant to me with all of my other costs.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
LLJ - So when speaking to Nicholas (from VC) he mentioned they could even alternate sq fcs and elongated. Which sounds interesting but I have never seen it, it seems like the transitions would be odd unless it was bezeled which doesn't appeal to me. I am ok with the different sparkle. I think you may be right about the band not needing to be wider (plus it'll save me some $$). It sounds like everyone is advocating for Victor saying he is great to work with, I have only spoken (via chat and email with Nicholas) and he has been a little dry to be honest. - another reason why I was considering to get Caysie.. Is it typical to speak to VC himself? perhaps I should call?

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I know they're shot in the magic lights that make everything look awesome :D but these are perhaps useful (or are good eye candy, if nothing else :razz: lol):

WRT width and FC vs EFC, you could do as matthews1127 has done and alternate two styles round the band - that would mean you get to enjoy both cuts! - but you might need to stay at, what, 3mm(ish) in order to not overwhelm your ER??

Or, you know, just go all out and get massive 5mm rocks for maximum finger coverage and bling, which I would applaud ;-) :lol:

Haha abosultely eye candy!! I love standard french cuts but thought they'd clash a bit with my ERing.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also 3/4 or full eternity? I worry about full eternity for sizing reasons.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why? Opinions please? Quality? Easy to work with?

Turn around time will be much faster with VC. CvB often turns into months of waiting with little to no communication. A hand forged piece is extra special for a wedding ring too.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I second to email DK. I’m actually doing a French cut band with him right now. He can source the stones and his prices are very reasonable.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I always recommend 3/4 eternity.

If cost is an issue, you might see how much DK would charge. You could also speak with GemConcepts. He may have stones that he can show you (via IG or photos) in the combinations you are thinking off. DK can source from GemConcepts. https://gemconcepts.net/product/2-mm-french-cut-diamond-line/

Cost isn't so much an issue so much as a consideration. I just really want my wedding band to be a piece I love forever, but I am paying for a wedding among other expenses.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I second to email DK. I’m actually doing a French cut band with him right now. He can source the stones and his prices are very reasonable.

Has he been pretty communicative with you? I originally wanted him to make my engagement ring as my fiance let me design it and I really couldn't get him to answer my emails or calls. I'm really excited to see your band when it's done, I have seen a FC band he redid for another PSer and it was beyond gorgeous!!

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Has he been pretty communicative with you? I originally wanted him to make my engagement ring as my fiance let me design it and I really couldn't get him to answer my emails or calls. I'm really excited to see your band when it's done, I have seen a FC band he redid for another PSer and it was beyond gorgeous!!

Yes, I find that email is the best way to communicate. I have sent a few pieces to him and he has already sent me mock ups for the projects.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok so I have an update.
I have decided to go with VC. 2.3mm 3/4 eternity.
:appl:
My next "issue" is going to be material...
So my engagement ring is 19k "super white" gold - what my jeweler called it. Also nickel free VC said they can do it in 19k, but they think that it's difficult to match up wg from different vendors, they also mentioned all wg is rhodium plated. They offered to do it in platinum. The thing is I don't think my ring is rhodium plated and we did the 19k bc my jeweler said it is nickel free, very hard and he recommended it over the platinum initially. I am worried about the platinum eating up my engagement ring, particularly because it has no donut. I was thinking of a rose gold spacer as I don't mind the mismatch in colors and textures, but I still want them to look good together. Does anyone have any ideas or experiences with this? Oh and I already emailed my jewelry to ask about the alloys he used and if it is in fact rhodium plated.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJ - So when speaking to Nicholas (from VC) he mentioned they could even alternate sq fcs and elongated. Which sounds interesting but I have never seen it, it seems like the transitions would be odd unless it was bezeled which doesn't appeal to me. I am ok with the different sparkle. I think you may be right about the band not needing to be wider (plus it'll save me some $$). It sounds like everyone is advocating for Victor saying he is great to work with, I have only spoken (via chat and email with Nicholas) and he has been a little dry to be honest. - another reason why I was considering to get Caysie.. Is it typical to speak to VC himself? perhaps I should call?

If you’re comfortable chatting I highly recommend talking to victor directly to get comfortable with any concerns you don’t feel are completely addressed to your satisfaction. For important stuff I am definitely a phone talker. And for my own peace of mind I want to hear the other person’s voice.

I would say before you buy a rose gold spacer you should see how you feel about the ering and FC band. I can see you wanting a band in between to break up all that bling because I feel the same way too. I have my ering and my single cut and am also contemplating a rose gold band in between. I’m saying you may even consider having Victor make a RG engraved band for you that would match your FC band in width and height that would also work as a spacer. so maybe wait to plunk down money on a random spacer until you are sure. But if a smaller non symmetrical non matching spacer is the look you are going for just ignore me.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JmeeMrie
Getting alloy information is an excellent start.
Is there a reason your jeweller cannot make the FC band you want? That way there are no concerns about matching metals...

I have quite a bit of unplated WG and I can attest to the comment that colour-matching is difficult!

erislynn

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for elongated! Also, just wanted to say how gorgeous your e-ring is! I love the way your center stone is set, and then the side stones set in a style that echoes the center stone.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@JmeeMrie
Getting alloy information is an excellent start.
Is there a reason your jeweller cannot make the FC band you want? That way there are no concerns about matching metals...

I have quite a bit of unplated WG and I can attest to the comment that colour-matching is difficult!

Well I did reach out to him to get a quote on the FC band, but haven't heard back. I suspect that because the elongated fc stones have to be custom cut that not every jeweler may have access to such stones. I also think that since VC has made these bands before I don't have to wonder at the quality and craftsmanship of this band.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, I find that email is the best way to communicate. I have sent a few pieces to him and he has already sent me mock ups for the projects.

Hi @Bfelix , sorry to thread jack! Do you by chance have a thread on the French cut band you are working on with DK? I am considering one as well and would love the details! Thank you! :)

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi @Bfelix , sorry to thread jack! Do you by chance have a thread on the French cut band you are working on with DK? I am considering one as well and would love the details! Thank you! :)

Hi,
I don’t currently have a thread as DK ja my French cuts but the band hasn’t been made yet. I will make a thread when I have a CAD from him.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am re-reading this thread and I could have sworn I posted that I had talked to VC and thought he was great to talk to and it just felt right so I went with Victor for my 2.3mm Elongated FC in Platinum. I am thrilled to be getting my band from him as all of his work I have seen is exceptional. and ...

My band is done! I just got the email that it is ready for shipping! EEeeek! I can't wait to see it.

Last edited:

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My band is done! I just got the email that it is ready for shipping! EEeeek! I can't wait to see it.

I can’t wait to see it. Mine should be done soon too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results