shape
carat
color
clarity

The Amora Gem Chronicles

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figured I'd start up a new thread on the Amora Gem from BetterThanDiamond. It seems like there's quite a bit of interest here.

First, here's the link to Better Than Diamond's "Amora Gem" page.
https://betterthandiamond.com/categories/Amora-Gem/

So, let's all join in and chat about anything and everything related to the Amora gem.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to start with the new pink and blue color offerings. They are basing it on colored diamonds.

I copied this from the talk jewelry forum:
"From our Takara lab diamond experience - the more saturated Fancy Intense and the lighter Fancy Vivid's look the best. If you go to far in Fancy Vivid (i.e. close to bordering on Fancy Deep/Dark) then you lose out on corresponding brilliance as more and more light get's absorbed and then it starts to look more like a sapphire.

Thus for Amora blues we have to find that fine balance between the richest blue that doesn't dramatically affect total brilliance...then we'll have the optimal blue color.

Re: Pink - it's still in R&D but also aiming for Fancy Intense - Fancy Vivid pink. The key point right now is the pinks are currently more of a Fancy Purplish Pink so we have to try and get it to a pure pink. But it's clearly a pink stone at this point so we are getting there.

Re: what cuts - whatever we have in production at the time. We can run pink, white and blue all at the same time with no difference. Thus for sure Soaring Hearts Eternity H&A but likely also cushion and AVC, etc."

and this one:
"We are largely targeting Light-Intense and not so much Vivid for all the Fancy colors. You want the intense color while still preserving max sparkle so it's clear it's an Amora, with a high end sparkle, and not a sapphire."

Here are the color charts provided.
PinkScale.jpg
bluescale.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's been a lot of interest in the new Krupps (emerald cut). These are supposed to have a higher crown for increased brilliance. Yay!
Krupps cut.jpg

There's a computer rendered video here:
https://betterthandiamond.com/products/Amora-Gem:--Krupps-(Emerald)-Cut.html

Here's a quick video clip Les posted too.

You can sign up for a list to be notified, when it becomes available. I've already signed up for colorless and for pink. I just need to see it.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not in the trade or an expert by any means. But the 'afternoon sunlight ' video of the stone looks like there is a lot of leakage on the top and bottom of the stone but the center has wide flashes of light..

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Word has it we've got about 3-4 more weeks of waiting til the Krupp comes available. They're optimizing the cut in the meanwhile. I can't wait to see them when they come out!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Word has it we've got about 3-4 more weeks of waiting til the Krupp comes available. They're optimizing the cut in the meanwhile. I can't wait to see them when they come out!

Me too! I hope they meet their deadline.:D

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Any thoughts on the asscher cuts? I'm considering diamond studs, but I keep coming back to maybe buying a simulant to try out some sizes. I'd be curious what PSers think about them.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any thoughts on the asscher cuts? I'm considering diamond studs, but I keep coming back to maybe buying a simulant to try out some sizes. I'd be curious what PSers think about them.

No first hand knowledge here but I hope someone chimes in for you. I think trying out simulants is a great idea. There's a big difference between those $20 store bought CZs and these guys. I'm still waiting on an elongated cushion cut. :lol-2:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought these are fancy moissanite? Or are they CZ?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amora gems are moissanite, not CZ. Not totally sure what makes them better but I seem to recall someone (Rhino maybe?) saying that there was something about the structure or how they’re cut that makes for a better appearance than many of the other moissanite sold elsewhere.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moissanite is an actual a natural material, it’s found as miniscule crystals in meteorites. It is Silcon Carbide. The manufactured ones for gems are specifically grown with proprietary formulas, originally Charles and Colvard owned the patent and no one else was allowed to manufacture and sell similiar. When the patent expired, Better than Diamond came up with a “tweaked” formula which created “whiter and less included” stones. They call theirs Amora Gem. Moissanite as a natural crystal is greenish yellow and has chararacteristic “needle like” inclusions. It is also double refractive but again, Better than Diamond has modified their cutting procedure to reduce the obvious double refractive properties. It is very similiar in “looks, performance and durability” to diamond, but it isn’t “cheap” and supply is sometime tight. A 1 carat CZ can be had for $20 or less, a 1 carat Amora gem is around $600. An ordinary older style” Moissanite” (about a K colour) about $200.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
Natural moissanite (silicon carbide) is only a trace sized, green mineral. It does not exist in nature as a large, clear, sparkly stone. Additives, and processing during manufacturing make moissanite usable as a diamond simulant. (CZ is another man created diamond simulant.)
Amora gem is moissanite. It only differs from the Forever One branded moissanite by the cut. Some moissanite including AG is suseptible to the (sometimes) recurrent rainbowy surface oxidization that requires elbow grease with "Sunshine cloths or similar" to remove. Since the patent expired, moissanite stones from India can be purchased on Ebay for nominal costs ($30 d.e.w ct etc). They don't appear to be the best color, but they are can be an inexpensive way to try out the sim. Happy shopping!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a Moissanite stone a few years ago. I loved it till it got the dreaded oil slick. I tried so hard to clean it off. I sold it in the end. I really want to buy an Amora Gem but it worries me I will get the slick again.

windblownhair

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Natural moissanite (silicon carbide) is only a trace sized, green mineral. It does not exist in nature as a large, clear, sparkly stone. Additives, and processing during manufacturing make moissanite usable as a diamond simulant. (CZ is another man created diamond simulant.)
Amora gem is moissanite. It only differs from the Forever One branded moissanite by the cut. Some moissanite including AG is suseptible to the (sometimes) recurrent rainbowy surface oxidization that requires elbow grease with "Sunshine cloths or similar" to remove. Since the patent expired, moissanite stones from India can be purchased on Ebay for nominal costs ($30 d.e.w ct etc). They don't appear to be the best color, but they are can be an inexpensive way to try out the sim. Happy shopping!
I’m a fan of the Sunshine cloths. I tried a few of the alternatives before finally buying them, and I wished I’d just started with them. I think I get 5 on amazon for $12, and cleaning off 2 rings just used the corner of 1 cloth, so I’m prepared for reoccurrences. That said, it’s been almost a year and there hasn’t been any. One was FB and the other F1, for what it’s worth. The Amora hasn’t developed any slicks, although I guess I’m prepared if it does!

malichef

Rough_Rock
Has anyone purchased form the "betterthandiamond.com" site for a Amora Eternity Super Ideal H&A Round, recently? if so, what was your experience?

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone purchased form the "betterthandiamond.com" site for a Amora Eternity Super Ideal H&A Round, recently? if so, what was your experience?

I have. I purchased it and compared it to a loose C&C F1 H&A. The only difference between them are the arrows and culet. C&C has bigger culet and thicker arrows. Besides that, there's not much of a difference between them in all the lighting I compare them in. Amora is slightly more brilliant when the sun hits it.

malichef

Rough_Rock
I have. I purchased it and compared it to a loose C&C F1 H&A. The only difference between them are the arrows and culet. C&C has bigger culet and thicker arrows. Besides that, there's not much of a difference between them in all the lighting I compare them in. Amora is slightly more brilliant when the sun hits it.
:dance: Thank you for responding. I'm unable to find more results about Amora Gems except on their website, which maybe factual but biased as well...

CuriousJ

Rough_Rock
Just wondering what the order process is like from BTD? How long does it take for them to create the ring? And do they ever respond to emails?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering what the order process is like from BTD? How long does it take for them to create the ring? And do they ever respond to emails?
I’ve never had a problem communicating with them in the past, but I ordered my Amora gems several years ago now.

CuriousJ

Rough_Rock
I’ve never had a problem communicating with them in the past, but I ordered my Amora gems several years ago now.
Okay great, good to know they’re a legitimate company, thank you!

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
My first stone from them was beautiful and crisp and great. i wish I haven't returned it. I returned it at the time because I wanted a bigger size. I waited and got a bigger size. The latter one was pretty, but not as pretty as the first. I also didn't trust their certification after my 2nd one. The color said E, but it was not an E. It looked more like a G or H. I should have returned it, but being stupid back then I believed them that it was correct. I don't think their cut is very consistent. I mean their machine constantly go down and they're always behind on schedule. They do have a 30days or something (forgot the exact days) return policy, so I'll give them that. So you can get it to see how you like it, then return if it's not good enough.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
My first stone from them was beautiful and crisp and great. i wish I haven't returned it. I returned it at the time because I wanted a bigger size. I waited and got a bigger size. The latter one was pretty, but not as pretty as the first. I also didn't trust their certification after my 2nd one. The color said E, but it was not an E. It looked more like a G or H. I should have returned it, but being stupid back then I believed them that it was correct. I don't think their cut is very consistent. I mean their machine constantly go down and they're always behind on schedule. They do have a 30days or something (forgot the exact days) return policy, so I'll give them that. So you can get it to see how you like it, then return if it's not good enough.
I would agree. I have 5 amora gems in total and the largest has a cut that I don’t love. It’s pretty, but not what I really wanted. My favorite is the 1.25dew.

They’re beautiful but I am going to sell the 3 stone (the ring with the largest stone in the center) because I realized I am not really a rounds person anyway.

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
I would agree. I have 5 amora gems in total and the largest has a cut that I don’t love. It’s pretty, but not what I really wanted. My favorite is the 1.25dew.

They’re beautiful but I am going to sell the 3 stone (the ring with the largest stone in the center) because I realized I am not really a rounds person anyway.

It's funny you mentioned that. The one I loved and returned was around 1.25 DEW. The bigger one was 1.6 DEW.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
It's funny you mentioned that. The one I loved and returned was around 1.25 DEW. The bigger one was 1.6 DEW.
Well, if you’re interested in mine, let me know - I was debating selling that one too because I just don’t wear the rounds anymore.

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Well, if you’re interested in mine, let me know - I was debating selling that one too because I just don’t wear the rounds anymore.

How much would you sell it for? Color, clarity,and and the mm? And what kind of an Amora Gem is it? I shouldn't get anymore rounds H&A because I have so many already, but I am curious:) If you have pica or videos, I would love to see them

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
How much would you sell it for? Color, clarity,and and the mm? And what kind of an Amora Gem is it? I shouldn't get anymore rounds H&A because I have so many already, but I am curious:) If you have pica or videos, I would love to see them
I’ll put that together for you and unearth the certificate.

CuriousJ

Rough_Rock
Thanks both! I would love to see the pictures as well!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just an interesting bit of news: from the latest update on Better Than Diamonds' forum from BTD themselves, it appears that they are seriously considering stopping further production of the Amora Gem. Here's the quote from Less:

"No Amora restocks currently in progress: Interesting seque from above, but at this point we are nearly out of Amora rough and due to the growth costs involved, we may not be doing many more Amora restocks, possibly ever. Overall, our focus is shifting to the Takara Lab Diamonds and esp after this year, that's going to be our flagship product moving forward. We simply don't have the resources to do both and the momentum at this point is with scaling up Takara lab diamond production as fast as possible to strike while the iron is hot so to speak.

We do still have a healthy inventory of Eternity rounds, except for the .75ct and 1.00ct size which are basically sold out. But definitely will not have the steady restocks like we've had the past few years...the steady restocks will be coming from the Takara production, esp now that we have our new diamond cutting section fully finalized."

I'm a little surprised at this - especially considering this statement came right after he mentioned that they had had their very first return of one of the Takara diamonds from someone who already had an Amora Gem and decided that they couldn't see enough of a difference to justify the higher cost of the diamond. I guess this really opens the market further for Jonathon and his gorgeous AV H&A moissies!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an interesting bit of news: from the latest update on Better Than Diamonds' forum from BTD themselves, it appears that they are seriously considering stopping further production of the Amora Gem. Here's the quote from Less:

"No Amora restocks currently in progress: Interesting seque from above, but at this point we are nearly out of Amora rough and due to the growth costs involved, we may not be doing many more Amora restocks, possibly ever. Overall, our focus is shifting to the Takara Lab Diamonds and esp after this year, that's going to be our flagship product moving forward. We simply don't have the resources to do both and the momentum at this point is with scaling up Takara lab diamond production as fast as possible to strike while the iron is hot so to speak.

We do still have a healthy inventory of Eternity rounds, except for the .75ct and 1.00ct size which are basically sold out. But definitely will not have the steady restocks like we've had the past few years...the steady restocks will be coming from the Takara production, esp now that we have our new diamond cutting section fully finalized."

I'm a little surprised at this - especially considering this statement came right after he mentioned that they had had their very first return of one of the Takara diamonds from someone who already had an Amora Gem and decided that they couldn't see enough of a difference to justify the higher cost of the diamond. I guess this really opens the market further for Jonathon and his gorgeous AV H&A moissies!
This doesn't surprise me. The company has always seemed like a disaster to me. They never actually had enough stones, kept claiming that the amora somehow isn't moissanite (it is), and the owner was horribly rude. I'm honestly surprised they didn't stop earlier. They promised tons of cuts that never even came out, and pissed a lot of ppl off. Plus the amora is super expensive compared to other stuff on the market now.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This doesn't surprise me. The company has always seemed like a disaster to me. They never actually had enough stones, kept claiming that the amora somehow isn't moissanite (it is), and the owner was horribly rude. I'm honestly surprised they didn't stop earlier. They promised tons of cuts that never even came out, and pissed a lot of ppl off. Plus the amora is super expensive compared to other stuff on the market now.

Yes, I agree that their business and supply practices have really been all over the place. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Not the way to build a customer base.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results