shape
carat
color
clarity

Lucida patent expired?

Lx23

Rough_Rock
The patent on the tiffany lucida possibly being expired was mentioned in a post recently and I decided to do a little digging. Here is the information I collected, am I wrong in concluding that it is?

Here is an article from the gia that describes the length of these patents:
https://www.gia.edu/doc/Legal-Protection-for-Proprietary-Diamond-Cuts.pdf

It says a diamond utility patent is protected for 20 years from the date of filing and a diamond design patent is 14 years from the date of issue. It seems like those dates are in 1998 and 2002 respectively for the lucida.

Here are the links to the patents I was able to find on the lucida that say they are expired in the US
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5970744
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6363745B1/en
https://patents.google.com/patent/USD463315S1/en?assignee=Tiffany+And+Company

Am I missing something that would still make copying the cut not allowed? As these patents contain blueprints of the cuts, would a diamond cutter be able to copy them? Thanks for any help or insight on this matter!

Reactions: AV_

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
As far as I know the patent is expired, but historically these off-basic cuts have not really been profitable (Lucere, Jubilee, POH, branded radiant) so I am guessing it’s not because someone can’t, but because there just isn’t that much market.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Ever smaller companies do put forward signature diamond cuts with no hoopla & no patents & their wish for a good name & the eye of the beholder...

digressing

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if this is same with the Crisscuts. I don't think of have sen these cuts outside of their maker/designer.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cuts off patent can be cut by anyone but they cant call it lucida due to trademarks and Tiffany is very protective of their trademarks.
The big draw to the cut is the Tiffany name so it is unlikely that anyone else will cut them in any quantity.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
OP There's really no need to have one cut. They're always listed on 1stdibs and ebay.

Lx23

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help! I have thought about purchasing used, but don't love the setting, so I thought it might be cheaper to get one cut.
I like the step cut of the crown combined with a brilliant pavillon. I always thought I wanted an emerald cut, but was underwhelmed in person. My dream cut would be the tiffany true, but beyond it being too expensive, I really dislike the T they put in the setting. Tiffany's told us the true cut is not patented, but we have not been able to find anything similar.
Any suggestions? None of the cushions seem square enough, none of the asschers seem to sparkle, and I don't like the crushed ice look of the radiants......

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the help! I have thought about purchasing used, but don't love the setting, so I thought it might be cheaper to get one cut.
I like the step cut of the crown combined with a brilliant pavillon. I always thought I wanted an emerald cut, but was underwhelmed in person. My dream cut would be the tiffany true, but beyond it being too expensive, I really dislike the T they put in the setting. Tiffany's told us the true cut is not patented, but we have not been able to find anything similar.
Any suggestions? None of the cushions seem square enough, none of the asschers seem to sparkle, and I don't like the crushed ice look of the radiants......

please check below Cushion designs.
https://cutwise.com/~J8zQ

Is any of them square enough?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How square do you want it to be? If there's wiggle room on the corners I'd look for cushions...Some are pretty darn square. I'm no expert but I remember seeing some really unique ones when we were looking that didn't fit the norm. I would not be surprised if there is a mixed cut out there labeled as a cushion

Screenshot_20190523-223553_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190523-225436_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190523-225452_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190523-224624_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190523-224747_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190523-223553_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190523-223553_Chrome.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20190523-224624_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190523-224624_Chrome.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20190523-224747_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190523-224747_Chrome.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 23

Lx23

Rough_Rock
You guys are right, some of those are beautiful. I think I will start searching for a cushion. We are looking for a 2.5-3ct in D-F color, VS2 or better... what are your thoughts on fluorescence on a stone with those specs?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You guys are right, some of those are beautiful. I think I will start searching for a cushion. We are looking for a 2.5-3ct in D-F color, VS2 or better... what are your thoughts on fluorescence on a stone with those specs?

I like the question about fluorescence.
if you happy with F color without Fluorescence then it is wise to consider D color diamond with medium -strong fluorescence . if for example you will find 3Ct VS2 D color Strong Fluorescence that looks as F color diamond in light without UV then you have:
1) The Diamond that has similar price as F color 3Ct VS2 diamond
2) The diamond that never has color worse than F color diamond
3) The diamond that has better color and brighter than F color diamond in light with UV.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Relatively square & bloody bright breeds of cushion - www & www

Possibly a not underwhelming step cut - www 2.5 D I had no idea this were available.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results