shape
carat
color
clarity

Vanadium beryl vs emerald

MamaBess

Rough_Rock
My previous post shows my emeralds. I think these are definitely in the eye of the beholder. I love the many variations of the color of emeralds, but to me, it must have that glow (which unfortunately does not show well in photos). I love emeralds with that inner glow that is almost other worldly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My previous post shows my emeralds. I think these are definitely in the eye of the beholder. I love the many variations of the color of emeralds, but to me, it must have that glow (which unfortunately does not show well in photos). I love emeralds with that inner glow that is almost other worldly.
They’re beautiful, thank you for sharing!!!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@TL please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are photos of very high quality emeralds that come out dark, and then there are photos of truly dark emeralds that also come out dark. :eek2:

Knowing how to tell the difference would be a very fine thing!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TL please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are photos of very high quality emeralds that come out dark, and then there are photos of truly dark emeralds that also come out dark. :eek2:

Knowing how to tell the difference would be a very fine thing!!!
True!!

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And then there are the freak photos of deep, rich emeralds that come out lighter, depending on the light.:eek2: I give up trying to photograph them.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was at the bank swapping some pieces out to wear, and I forgot, I had one other set emerald that I bought 30 years ago. It looks about 2 carats, but it’s a very mediocre stone, I should have taken a picture. No wonder I forgot about it. I should reuse the setting. Its very included and a flat green color, it looks Brazilian.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Sad that we can't see it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
5DD39C73-8F59-4506-87AD-6D57DC727AD3.jpeg
Sad that we can't see it!
Next time I go to the bank, I’ll take it out, and take pictures. I want to possibly use the setting. It’s not that pretty though, so you’ve been warned. However, my other much finer emeralds don’t photograph well anyways. :(2

It looks a lot like this, poor clarity, medium tone, flat green color, no blue, no glow.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vlad said it’s too light to qualify as an emerald.

I checked for fluorescence on my vanadium beryl, none. But then again my Columbian emeralds don’t Fluor either. The iron in Columbian emerald, responsible for the bluish secondary color, stomped out fluorescence. Synthetics emerald have strong red fluorescence however.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FACA447F-210F-40C2-906F-7CB76EE0A747.jpeg EDA17D92-C891-4DC6-9B06-BDDD248C78F0.jpeg BBD55422-2F4B-4C9D-8800-018F0824F478.jpeg
Sunlight shot this morning arms length. I hate my morning swollen fingers!!! When the photograph comes out, the stone looks fuzzy, but IRL, I can see a sheen. At least the spinels were behaving in the photo.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice to see the difference!
The top was indirect mid afternoon overcast light, and the bottom was direct in your face bright morning sunlight. I prefer the top color IRL, very metallic bluish green, but again, the photo fails to showcase this. My favorite lighting for this emerald is incandescent or fluorescent light though. It at least “glowed” for those who don’t think dark emeralds do that.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
The top was indirect mid afternoon overcast light, and the bottom was direct in your face bright morning sunlight. I prefer the top color IRL, very metallic bluish green, but again, the photo fails to showcase this. My favorite lighting for this emerald is incandescent or fluorescent light though. It at least “glowed” for those who don’t think dark emeralds do that.
We're opposites on this. My preference was for the bottom one by a long shot. I know it's the same stone, but I love the glow in sunlight much more than the metallic looking color, which is more flat by comparison. I mean, from far enough away that metallic color might as well be tin foil wrapping paper or something. Glowing jewel tones are much more difficult or impossible to replicate in print.

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to see it in person. I wish I could explain how gorgeous that metallic look is. I have tsavorite and they’re gorgeous gems, and I’ve seen fine neon demantoid, but I’ve never seen a gem quite as rich and vivid a green as a fine emerald. They glow, but it’s a different kind of glow, they glow with vivid color and sheen.

Besides my favorite Paraiba has spoiled me in terms of bright glowing gems;)2

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s an almost identical looking aquamarine in a museum I’ve been to.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
who knows???

But an aqua for me of course.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
who knows???

But an aqua for me of course.
If the primary chromophore is iron, then it’s probably an aqua, but really, it doesn’t matter. They both have the same aesthetic qualities.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BBE8252F-D53A-477F-810E-12C49C3EC841.jpeg
2:00 intense sunlight photo. The sun came out and I was outside at the same time! :eek2: The dark blob on the left side of the stone is the jardin, it shows up dark in the photo. At least the grass color can be compared to both.

Vanadium beryl in next to it. Vanadium is more intense in indirect sunlight.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am surprised that they don't even bother with the sheen effect on the video!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx7fFknAGcO/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
If you ever see auction house videos or photos, they’re awful, especially for emeralds. I have the auction catalog for Liz Taylor’s jewels, and they made her emerald look like a tsavorite. Even the recently sold Oppenheimer emerald looks blah in their videos and photos. They also manipulate color, and they just don’t have a clue how to take gem photos. They need to hire some of the forum members here to do a better job!! Lol

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
If you ever see auction house videos or photos, they’re awful, especially for emeralds. I have the auction catalog for Liz Taylor’s jewels, and they made her emerald look like a tsavorite. Even the recently sold Oppenheimer emerald looks blah in their videos and photos. They also manipulate color, and they just don’t have a clue how to take gem photos. They need to hire some of the forum members here to do a better job!! Lol

Yet, they are asking for up to 6.5M! :devil:

No wonder many shoppers believe that dark emeralds = $$$$ :nono:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yet, they are asking for up to 6.5M! :devil:

No wonder many shoppers believe that dark emeralds = $$$$ :nono:
Yes, I bet that most people think emeralds are these ugly dark included gems that are highly overrated. These days most people only see mall store commercial grade material, opaque and flat, or synthetics, which are not representative of the finest material. It’s like that with sapphire and ruby as well. Very few have seen fine material in those gems, and most “natural” stones are highly treated.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I bet that most people think emeralds are these ugly dark included gems that are highly overrated. These days most people only see mall store commercial grade material, opaque and flat, or synthetics, which are not representative of the finest material. It’s like that with sapphire and ruby as well. Very few have seen fine material in those gems, and most “natural” stones are highly treated.

BTW, I have been wanting to ask you if you have seen none - minor treated clean emeralds in medium - med. dark that don't have the sheen/foil?

I often wonder if that emerald just lacking it or the seller just didn't try hard enough...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, I have been wanting to ask you if you have seen none - minor treated clean emeralds in medium - med. dark that don't have the sheen/foil?

I often wonder if that emerald just lacking it or the seller just didn't try hard enough...

Yes, I have. They’re just dark, but flat. Some African stones are like this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results